What you need to know about the recent MangaDex data breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-page supporter
Hacked a manga site and demand money, when the site is (barely) had no money even for survive...

HOMBREEEEEEEEEEEE

@Plykiya

How does the reading history work? Is it just the last 10 that you record (and gets overwritten) or do you have a record of everything we've read? I mean it makes sense if you have a record of everything.

Group Leader
@Dobu You're not getting banned just for that.

A lot of people are pissed off, and rightfully so. It's not pleasant when your private information are at risk. But if big companies like Sony or Bank of America can be hacked, then a mere manga website like MD can be even easier to breach. You guys can voice your disappointment and let your anger out, but maybe take it a little easy on the staff. Perhaps direct your bloodthirst at the right person. We all want the culprit's blood. Let's just all hope things won't get any worse than this.

@Richman I thought you said you do? But nevertheless, you are rich enough to hire someone to fuck with MD-chan. =W= What's the motive?

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Mr_Detective
I don't, and I'm also not rich, HOMBREEEEEE! It's just a nickname!
But if I were to get revenge on MD, it would be because the amount of dropped titles are too damn high!

Group Leader
@Richman posted:
it would be because the amount of dropped titles are too damn high!
Ayo, hombREEEEE. Blame that on the group that had been working for that dropped manga.

MD-chan wa warukunai yo

You guys should consider opening your source code, security by obscurity isn't a good practice.
Also, don't store tokens in that way...

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@nyaasar
I'd do it like that because I'd be a SMOOTH BRAIN APE THAT DOESN'T THINK lmaooooo, get dunked, hacker!

Dex-chan lover
To all FBI peeps here, please help us...
Please excuse yourself for a moment to catch loli peeps. This is more important

@Plykiya Thanks for that.

I noticed that the volume and chapter fields for `followed-manga` are simply 0 and 0 for most of my entries. I spot checked a few with /user/{userId}/manga/{mangaId} and it's consistent between the two.

A few entries seem to have accurate chapter/volume numbers, though.

Is that an expected limitation of the API right now?

Well, good on you for blowing up that asshat blackhat. Fuck, if it was a greyhat/whitehat attack, that would be one thing, but COME ON! Sheesh. What a fartknocker… 😑

Thank you to the Admin team for continual transparency! <3

Thank you, also, for standing up to extortion tactics! Irrespective of that—because of the nature of the fanlation community, we aren't able to have the FBI nail the punkass, which royally bites. As such, thank you for people who understand what's going on.

Also, Wikipedia and other sites are your friend here for Q&A on what happened.

From what I gathered, the person was able to spoof an older server because of some unideal code that resulted in the breech.

I guess for the future, the community may need to have white/greyhat hackers help run security checks after v5 comes out. Hopefully, that will help clear things up.

Still, ripe toolish picking on the MangaDex community, bruh! Didn't you learn about not going after the open-source community? Heh.

Q: Did our follows get cleared or was the custom RSS feed a sperate thing? Also, what's the plan moving forward for for recovering any of the database info destroyed due to the asshats? Will comments/groups/comics purged/other stuff be able to be selectively recovered from the breech or have they been lost to the netwinds?

Group Leader
@dextersTomato posted:
To all FBI peeps here, please help us...
Please excuse yourself for a moment to catch loli peeps. This is more important
8rSox5k.gif

OH, WAIT! I'm into loliBABA. I guess I'll be fine.

@Mr_Detective posted:
Did everyone change their password? I still haven't...
I did. Changed from the basic password (12345678) to something around 30 special-alpha-numeric characters long password.
Now I'm pretty confident that NSA can't even crack my password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread