What you need to know about the recent MangaDex data breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
is a Reindeer
VIP
@HiddenArmy Some person came onto the Discord saying the same thing, but then I pointed out that he filled out the fields wrong. He wrote his old password twice and his new password once, so the "new and new again" combination had one password that was "too short".

It's not a very good error message...

Aggregator gang
@Plykiya Just realize it 2 sec after I post it and that's also what I did. Agreed that error msg need an upgrade with clearer error cause.

Good job on coming back online!
if I may add a little detail, there is a little glitch in footer :
Code:
<p class="m-0 text-center text-muted">© 2021 <a href="/" title="Array
(
    [0] => 5
    [1] => 1616122695
)
">MangaDex</a> |

I guess this isn't the title ment to be?

I’m just glad the hacker didn’t do any serious damage to the site. I tell you some hackers have no life and they just want to ruin other people’s lives for fun for no reason.

PHP RCE ? gonna google this.

got my raspberry root user stolen from me by user escalation from a child process in lighttpd. luckly nothing got stolen or crypted.

either way thanks for the openness this has is incredible , thanks to inform us
edit:
( i mean by informing us about the breach and being honest with us. )
not english speaker. take easy with me and feel free to correct me

Glad to see MD being open and forward with the breach communication.

Also, do go and check Bitwarden! been using it for a year and it's an amazing service.

Fed-Kun's army
I have a problem where apparently a 21 character password is too short. Ok then. Even with my current password being much shorter.

In any case, rip, at least nothing too bad happened. GG developers for doing what must be done.

Supporter
@NextUniverse Check if you've entered the wrong password
There is
1 old password field
2 new password fields
Most people accidentally entered old password into 2 fields and new password in only 1 field. Instead of saying the password doesn't match, it shows password is too short error message instead

Relevant thread
https://mangadex.org/thread/446844

Can I just say... fuck that asshole who decided to deal damage to a website and community that does a lot of good and doesn’t ask for much (and didn’t even have easily accessible donate functionality until recent, which speaks volumes about where the site’s priorities are.)

Thank you for your hard work and resilience. You all are so good to us. I wish only white hat hackers to make their way to you in the future, and may the asshole who held site data ransom meet full legal consequence for their abysmal ethical choices.

no idea why hacker hack this website. i mean this site provide free fucking manga for every internet user ffs.

is a Reindeer
VIP
For those of you who've emailed the staff email, there are 3000 emails left in the queue. Responses go brrrrrr....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread