What's the fun in watching streamers for hours on end?

Dex-chan lover
I sometimes want to have something more chill on (compared to clips or compilations), and it makes for good background noise while I draw.
I could also say watching a streamer scratches the "social itch" of my brain (I have a few friends but I rarely talk with them). I usually watch archives btw, I don't care too much about interacting with the streamer or chat.

Group Leader
I wasn't interested in streamers at all, until I discovered Vtubers. And I didn't even care about them that much at first, either. But some streamers have entertaining personality or social skills that make it fun to watch them play. Another bonus is the people who watch them are also pleasant to talk to. We can chat about why certain characters do certain things, or how certain events happened. This of course can't work for streamers with high number of viewers because chat will always go faster than the speed of sound. So I don't watch them.

Seeing the streamer goes through the game while providing commentary can be fun, too. I don't watch the whole stream, though. If it's a one or two hour stream, and I happen to be eating or working on something else, I'd have the stream running in a different tab and sometimes chime in some comments. If it's longer than that, then no, no way would I ever be able to watch a stream that long.

I'm very picky at choosing which youtubers to follow. The typical generic loudmouth "WHATS UP HOMIES PLZ LIKE SUBCRIBE" idiots, I never care for.

Dex-chan lover
Agree with Solstice, some people just like background noises to stay sane. And yeah, small streamers are much better if you want to interact with them specifically (which I got a ton recommended recently for some reason).

When I do watch it, it's usually just for a half or one hour with some exception (Kanata playing Getting Over It for example, because it's rare that someone can stay so chill playing a game like that).

Dex-chan lover
i dont understand watching streams in general tbh. But I could be biased because I prefer playing over watching others play, and apparently the latter is a thing too? the closest thing was me watching the AGDQ speedruns and live tournament footage for a fighting game's top 5. Those are like watching competition sports/exhibitions for me personally. (Mario 64 acrobatic glitch exploit frame reduction camera jiggle tricks are my shit).

but I did get into the habit of watching compilation of different streams for the melee community (Pengboys) back when my brother kept pestering me about it. So I think I can make a stretch to kind of understand it based on that experience.

1. It gave us something to talk about. Memes/quotes
2. Melee "personalities" are fun. If you know anything about it you know n0ne's personas, Hugo's ability to talk about literally host a talk show instead of actually playing the game. Team beer...
3. In a vacuum the game is pretty hype, I'm sure actual streams becomme a slog but the compilation makes it better.

I assume vtubers are in the same vein somehow.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't watch them, I heard them. While I'm playing and the sounds don't really matter, while I'm doing stuff around the house, etc. It's like a podcast or a radio program, but pretty much every day.
It's always entertaining to listen Asmogold or Illojuan streams. If they are talking, if they play something I just quit the stream.

I think it's their personality, a good streamer is all based on their personality. People love to watch streamers like Xqc, jerma985, Forsen, Asmongold,... Is all because of their personality. Their fans simply watch their streams for hours on end is because they either find them entertaining or relatable or any other reasons

It's kind of based on what a certain group of people like to watch and the streamers deliver just that

Users who are viewing this thread