When Character Voices in an Anime don't Match up to how you imagined them when reading the Manga.

Dex-chan lover
This is likely a problem only for dub preferrers, but I find it can ruin an otherwise good anime for me. I think it's a somewhat similar phenomena to novel/actor portrayals.

Dex-chan lover
You know that blacksmith boy side character from Kenja no Mago? I imagined him to have a low, raspy voice. I was super annoyed when finding out that he has a nerdy type of voice.

But I moved on.

It happens in dub all the time but i can't recall if i ever had this experience in raw.
I wouldn't say it's ruining but the first coloured page always gives me similar feeling.

Contributor
Little Buster I think it was? The Mc Voice was so high pitched and girly, just made me zrop it

Hak’s voice in Akatsuki no Yona anime, well, let’s say I imagined it to be waaaay different....
His char is strong and bold but also a bit goofy (sometimes, & the butt of jokes sometimes as well)
The voice behind him seemed like an older person, not 17-18 teenager like I imagined it to sound like, since well, it is his true age!
It affected me soo much, that I wish they don’t produce a season 2 with the same voice actors or at all, despite it being my favourite as manga.

😅@ArpanaR I am about to comment regarding that anime and that character too. Haha 😄. And yes, I do agree.
Hak's seiyuu did not agree to the voice I've imagined for him... It just does not fit him at all! I stopped watching the anime right then. 😅 I'm sorry.

@Makahiya good choice on dropping it.... it actually didn’t carry the same charm as the manga... it’d recommend the manga, especially the official English version out by viz
The language, the translations are top notch, jokes are portrayed with a pack of punch (although I won’t recommend viz’s Takane & Hana, cuz they spoiled most of the jokes there).
The anime has a shoujo-isqe vibe, it doesn’t correspond to The heart pounding suspense and the free-spirited adventure vibe that the manga has.
In the manga- adventures never really stop, romance and stuff comes and goes.... its the total opposite of anime where they glorify romantic moments like “this is what it’s all about”
It’s sooo much more than that you know!
(Although, the little sweet trysts are adorable)

Fed-Kun's army
Yes. Been there a lot.

I know that this isn't a hate thread or the likes but there's only a few VA that I don't like and I don't expect them to voiced that particular anime character that I would like or be interested in watching. As long as Yuki Kaji, Yoshitsuga Matsuoka, Kana Hanazawa and Mamoru Miyano isn't voicing any characters on that anime, I'm good.

Getting back to the topic, I've got Hai to Gensō no Gurimugaru main character Haruhiro. I think Yoshimasa Hosoya's voice (he's the voice of Orga Itsuka in Iron Blood Orphans) doesn't fit with the character. It's too husky for the character. His voice is fitted to those of characters whose in authority like Orga Itsuka or Tetsuya Yuki of Diamond no Ace.

Dex-chan lover
Nothing to do with manga, but I found the Japanese Goku to be annoying and not fitting the character. After hearing the US dubs, I feel that's how he should sound. Deep and threatening, not high-pitched and shrill.

Dex-chan lover
@Samhill

Yeah, I totally agree. It's far too high pitched. I also preferred the English voice actors who played Bulma and kid Goku pre-Kai a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread