When I Returned to My Hometown, My Childhood Friend was Broken - Ch. 31

Dex-chan lover
i'm just glad they got arrested, and i don't really mind that she was a SA survivor. to me the important thing is how touma helped her slowly reintegrating to society again after such a traumatic event, which is something that might be a luxury to some

Dex-chan lover
i'm just glad they got arrested, and i don't really mind that she was a SA survivor. to me the important thing is how touma helped her slowly reintegrating to society again after such a traumatic event, which is something that might be a luxury to some
Wouldn't surprise me if they got arrested but it ended with nothing. Iirc less than 10 percent of cases end up in court, and less than 25 percent of the court cases end up with the rapists getting punished. Usually there's not enought evidence, and many don't want to take it to court because it feels like a second injury.

Dex-chan lover
rape is bad unless you do it yourself
this chapter felt rather cheap and while the reality of the situation suddenly crashing down on the male lead just like that from some random bystanders was good, his reaction was positively non-existent, which is probably portrayed as a virtue in this instance?
the only hope is for male MC to be in denial and have a delayed mental breakdown from this, but author only goes for positive developments, so it's rather anti-climactic and ... boring
unlike failed marriage, you can't really say anything about rape other than "yeah, that happened"

Dex-chan lover
his reaction was positively non-existent, which is probably portrayed as a virtue in this instance?
the only hope is for male MC to be in denial and have a delayed mental breakdown from this, but author only goes for positive developments, so it's rather anti-climactic and ... boring
He had suspicions about it earlier in the manga, so I don't really think it came as a surprise to him. Though it might've shocked him and been worse than he thought. Like maybe he thought she just got abused by a shitty boyfriend, which is more common than sexual assault. Sexual assault is actually not that common, most sexual abuse are from people you know. Though they were in her college I guess.

Dex-chan lover
What a boring development. Like some others already pointed it's sad but it's not something that came from a named character agency and it automatically makes the other side of the story beyond redemption.

There's no other angles to the story, or justifiable reasons behind their actions, or any depth to their actions. In the context of this story that happened as a shortcut so the girl could be saved by the MC.

These things happen in real life and are terrible in real life, but for a fictional story like this one there are multiple other options that could've gotten her into a similar situation. But why bother? Seual violence is the easiest option.

Contributor
ovehOAZ.png

damn people
Good indicator to tell how controversial a character is

Dex-chan lover
I actually got socially lynched in some forum for stating this because there was a girl that was part of that forum that was raped. As someone who has always stated fact without minding repercussions, that event made me a little mindful than before.

I believe accountability runs in a spectrum. How guilty is someone who gets broken into in her own house? Not at all? Maybe she flaunted jewelry while outside. Maybe not. How about if she left the door unlocked before she slept? How about if she left her wallet outside and it got stolen? The term "victim-blaming" is just some term invented by these white knights to make themselves feel virtuous all the while completely disregarding nuance.
I think you got lynched because you word things like a heartless crippling autist.

Like you‘re not wrong about not putting yourself into certain situations but there’s too many variables to accurately make that judgement without coming off as a moron, especially on a forum you dipshit.

Dex-chan lover
And her I was, hopping it was nothing too hard... :fml: ... :aquadrink:

Please to all of you women AND men, be careful.
I know ppl often say "yeah these thing shouldn't happen, you shouldn't have to be careful in the first place", yeah, but the world is not rainbows and teddybears...

Even if it's unfair you are responsible for yourself and should NEVER get drunk if you are alone with people you don't know and even then you should be careful. Ofc there are times where you can do nothing about it, unfortunately.
Always keep your drink in hand, always keep an eye on it and NEVER leave it and go somewhere else.

Go to clubs and the likes in groups, if possible bring guys you trust with you (especially if you are a woman).
Even a group of multiple women will not suffice in these places.
Geez, even I went to clubs with 2 other guys as a group of 3 and I didn't feel really safe in some of them ngl.
I know some ppl want to say that "women are strong and can take care of themselves" but when it comes down to it, it's all bullshit and they will not be able to fight against it.

All this is from experiences that I've had or seen/heard happen to ppl I know.
Be safe everyone, love y'all. :hearts:

Last edited:

JJM

Did anyone else notice that after Touma said that, the art style for Kyouko's eyes changed to how it was when she was younger? For I think the first time in the manga? That's some nice symbolism art right there from the mega chad

These things happen in real life and are terrible in real life, but for a fictional story like this one there are multiple other options that could've gotten her into a similar situation. But why bother? Seual violence is the easiest option.
I always hate how sexual abuse is used in manga. Its always:
How do we show this guy is really evil? rape
How do we show that a girl has been through a lot? rape
It's not that its a taboo for me, but manga never does it right

What a boring development. Like some others already pointed it's sad but it's not something that came from a named character agency and it automatically makes the other side of the story beyond redemption.

There's no other angles to the story, or justifiable reasons behind their actions, or any depth to their actions. In the context of this story that happened as a shortcut so the girl could be saved by the MC.

These things happen in real life and are terrible in real life, but for a fictional story like this one there are multiple other options that could've gotten her into a similar situation. But why bother? Sexual violence is the easiest option.
Thank you for putting into words, better than I ever could, exactly why I hated this development.

Users who are viewing this thread