Will You Marry Me Again If You Are Reborn?

@bamboonationalist holy moly, you are seriously stupid. "If you want to relax you shouldn't read manga, go take a fucking bath." Man, I just can't begin to describe how idiotic that statement is. Not every manga has to be a boundary-pushing social commentary. Next level gatekeeping right here.

lol dude prolly reads berserk and praise the shit out of the author till he's fuming while the author is busy saving gems for that new ssr banner in idolmaster

@qowboykay here's the thing: I never said that every manga has to be a boundary pushing social commentary. What I did say, however, was that you should have some level of standards when it comes to reading. I don't mind reading something which is light in tone, or meant to be charming. What I'm opposed to is melodramatic trash, poorly drawn, riddled with cliches trying to manipulate you into feeling bad. Please ask yourself if you remember anything about this manga 2 days after you finish it. Im not saying every manga has to be Yoshihiro Tatsumi or Shigeru Mizuki tier or whatever. I'm simply saying respect your time more than to waste it on zero effort, bottom of the barrel trash.

@kirinagi Maybe you should take a look at your life and figure out what makes you so upset about some generic trash manga that you have to paint imaginary scenarios to make someone's opinion online seem less valid.

what about my life? seems pretty alright i got into a good uni and living the chill life until this virus came in. and i'm not upset lol why would i be mad about someone putting their own opinion about a manga. i'm just pointing out that you're probably one of those people who thinks that "my taste in manga is superior which means you're shit" dude if you don't like it don't read and don't even bother hating it. heck maybe you should take a look at your own life cause seems like you don't have it easy to the point where you talk shit about a genre that is supposed to be directed to people who want to see slow and healing stuff

@kirinagi so once again youre projecting about what I might be like to make my opinion seem less valid. Who knows, youre probably projecting about your own life too. Seek help.

fhq

i dunno, man. I'm 99% sure the Japanese were the aggressors during WW2 and China (and Korea and most of SEA) were on the defensive almost completely from the beginning after Beijing, Shanghai, and Nanjing were taken. And then, ofcourse, widespread unspeakable Japanese war crimes. Chinese couldn't even retaliate until US aide.

@fhq you’re 100% right in the fact they were the aggressors.

I’m Chinese so I’m having very, and I mean very mixed emotions about this manga now. Like I get the twist they are trying to spin, about how some guys were human and they didn’t like the violence. But the Japanese were trained to think of the Chinese as less than human, and so they slaughtered us as such. I know modern japan isn’t the same as that, and I was really loving this manga until they brought in the WW2 aspect. I’m not enjoying them twist a horrifying event that happened to my people into a character development arc.

Dex-chan lover
@Shortcakex As an ethnic Chinese, I don't see what the problem is here. The manga sends an a general anti-war message from the pov of individuals rather than discuss the political motives of nations. There was never an attempt to portray Japanese imperialistic goals as righteous; if anything, several characters' blind allegiance to the country comes off as tragically misguided. Literary themes generally take precedence over all other aspects of the story; which suggests that characters of this manga facilitate the anti-war message and not the other way around.

There is definitely a persistent negligence of the atrocities committed by Japan in WWII, which I agree the government and its institutions should do more about. This manga, however, is neither the cause nor symptom of that.

@Shortcakex Huh? The Japanese are not portrayed as the good guys in the war here. And it’s rich, considering your country is literally running concentration camps. Literally modern day Nazis.

A bit related, out of the weeb shit (like comics, webnovels, LNs etc.) that came out from China, Korea, Japan, Japanese ones are the least racist ones. Chinese and Korean stuffs portray the other countries as subhumans.

@Shortcakex I kinda see where you're coming from but I wouldn't say this is used for "character development arcs." If anything I think its trying to critique the pro-war propaganda of Japan and its doing that by showing to its audience (who is probably Japanese) the horrors of war on the Japanese side. If it focused on those issues from a Chinese or Korean perspective I sincerely doubt many Japanese people would take it seriously.

@tblst I see where you’re coming from, I suppose I interpreted it as more of a propaganda thing.

How do I explain that, like “here are some Japanese who didn’t have blind allegiance to the emperor so we were very humane at that time.” That’s how I interpreted it.

@4V29LN0n I’m from HongKong (But live in America now), so I am very well aware of what the government is doing. I think I know it better than you. We are killing anyone who practices religion, the Mymar specifically. We are refusing to acknowledge Taiwan and their independence, so we attack them not only online but have their people go missing. We are invading the Philippines, and kidnapping their women and selling them to men old enough to be their grandfathers. Oh and the government is brutalizing the people in HongKong because we are protesting and wanting to remain democratic.

@Jam_Packens I suppose you’re right, it was just how I perceived it, and it really bothered me. My family was initially from Nanjing so I don’t like anything Japanese WW2 era and tend to jump to conclusions quickly, and was quick to assume this was Japanese Nationalist Propaganda and them refusing to acknowledge that during that time they were extremely inhumane, and them taking more of a “see we were very human and had morals” then.

This comment section debate is impressively civilized given the subject matter. Except for bamboonationalist; don't know what they're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread