How to Grill Our Love - Vol. 9 Ch. 72 - Our First Camping Trip (2)

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking this up ! Soon we'll all be potteto worshippers.

I feel like the author has never gone camping and is making it up on quite a few points here. That or japanese camping sites are in an entirely different dimension than what we have in europe.

Like, nobody is going to bother loading their car with a fucking coffee grinder. If they're not happy with instant coffee, they'd take a small pack of coffee or put a few spoonfulls in a ziplock.

And for sure the people in the big trailers might bring their own hair dryers, but I've never seen collective hair dryers that were not the big bulky wall-mounted dryers (that you can see in swimming pools too). Heated toilet seats seems hella suspicious too, even for Japan.

But really the weirdest part is them going camping and not being seen interacting with any other person there.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This hot dog looks like a brazilian hot dog. In Brazil it is common to make it with the same roll bread that is eaten for breakfast. The difference is that brazilians don't use cabbage and use a few other ingredients (tomato and onion sauce, bacon, mustard, grated cheese, corn, peas, straw potatoes, quail's egg, raisins). Do you think it's too much? There is a state that adds mashed potatoes.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking this up ! Soon we'll all potteto worshippers.

I feel like the author has never gone camping and is making it up on quite a few points here. That or japanese camping sites are in an entirely different dimension than what we have in europe.

Like, nobody is going to bother loading their car with a fucking coffee grinder. If they're not happy with instant coffee, they'd take a small pack of coffee or put a few spoonfulls in a ziplock.

And for sure the people in the big trailers might bring their own hair dryers, but I've never seen collective hair dryers that were not the big bulky wall-mounted dryers (that you can see in swimming pools too). Heated toilet seats seems hella suspicious too, even for Japan.

But really the weirdest part is them going camping and not being seen interacting with any other person there.
There's a more realistic one, the guy who goes camping and then a cookery student starts accompanying him. It's funny that in american series and movies, camping really means going into the forest.

Japanese camping varies really. There's 'traditional' with going into the forest with proper tools and then there are glorified parks that people just go over the weekend, more of a picnic than camping if anything. Its the latter in this chap

Dex-chan lover
LETS GOOOO!!! Happy that Potetto is picking up this series. Thank you very much.

I swear. We will all be Potteto soon enough.

Contributor

In Japan I saw automated taps on the top of mount Fuji. Japan is a crazy place.

Fed-Kun's army
Ngl this is like the 3rd series I've been reading that's been dropped suddenly just to be picked up by you guys
🐐

Dex-chan lover

The first thing you need to understand is that there is literally no longer a single acre of untouched "nature" in Japan. Everything we see today in Japanese forests is either managed or was originally planted by people. This is a big problem for Japanese biodiversity because in the past entire forests cut down during the Meiji era industrial revolution were replanted with monoculture production plants then abandoned when wood was no longer in such high demand.

A side effect of this situation is that Japanese camping sites are all parks, and it's very obvious when you get there. Someone else mentioned in the comments about finding automated tap on top of Mt. Fuji. Well, I went to a camping site high up in the Fuji Five Lakes area and there were vending machines all over the "hiking trail". Also, the "camping site" has all the amenities depicted in this chapter and more. The "communal bathrooms" include a small onsen area complete with coffee milk dispenser. Heated toilet seat? It's got the full self-cleaning toilet with multifunction bidet. Oh, also a jacuzzi for some reason. They also have electric stoves in the communal cooking area, in a separate location from all the gas BBQ grills.

Having experienced real camping in good old Maine (and somewhat OK California), I decided after that trip that never again will I camp anywhere outside of Japan. Fuck nature! I now want the full hotel experience when I camp.

Dex-chan lover
The first thing you need to understand is that there is literally no longer a single acre of untouched "nature" in Japan. Everything we see today in Japanese forests is either managed or was originally planted by people. This is a big problem for Japanese biodiversity because in the past entire forests cut down during the Meiji era industrial revolution were replanted with monoculture production plants then abandoned when wood was no longer in such high demand.

A side effect of this situation is that Japanese camping sites are all parks, and it's very obvious when you get there. Someone else mentioned in the comments about finding automated tap on top of Mt. Fuji. Well, I went to a camping site high up in the Fuji Five Lakes area and there were vending machines all over the "hiking trail". Also, the "camping site" has all the amenities depicted in this chapter and more. The "communal bathrooms" include a small onsen area complete with coffee milk dispenser. Heated toilet seat? It's got the full self-cleaning toilet with multifunction bidet. Oh, also a jacuzzi for some reason. They also have electric stoves in the communal cooking area, in a separate location from all the gas BBQ grills.

Having experienced real camping in good old Maine (and somewhat OK California), I decided after that trip that never again will I camp anywhere outside of Japan. Fuck nature! I now want the full hotel experience when I camp.
That honestly sounds fun

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking this up ! Soon we'll all be potteto worshippers.

Have you ever gone to Japan? Things are very different there. Almost all toilets have automatic bidet. Camping in Japan isn't the same as other countries. And the part about not interacting with anyone is realistic, too. Japanese are very introvert in nature. They usually avoid interact with strangers, unless absolutely necessary. Japan is the only place where there are many restaurants catering for introverts where customers basically sit in a booth like a box and order through a screen without interacting woth anyone.

Dex-chan lover
Me too, wish it could last forever
Thanks for the potteto!

Users who are viewing this thread