Yajin Tensei: Karate Survivor in Another World - Vol. 8 Ch. 53 - City of Desire

Dex-chan lover
I like this manga a lot but it's been like 50 chapters of the MC going "wow it really is kill or be killed in this world" and I'm kinda ready for something different

Dex-chan lover
Arrives at the town, immediately finds the nearest slum and terrorizes some pickpockets.
Yajin has fully adapted into the other world it seems. He does not take shit from anyone lol

Dex-chan lover
I like this manga a lot but it's been like 50 chapters of the MC going "wow it really is kill or be killed in this world" and I'm kinda ready for something different
I feel like it hit a stride with the adventuring arc where he was part of a team working to break through the level barrier, then it fell apart after the "suddenly nobles!" plot device and he's been on his own ever since. A solitary murderhobo—that knows nothing but basic world information—is only entertaining for so long.

Dex-chan lover
He still left the kid to steal his money. WTF.
Pity is one thing, but this is clearly stupid. That kid would probably grow up to be a murderer some day. :facepalm:

Fed-Kun's army
thanks for the tl:) . I suppose I got too used to long chapters that this one seemed short to me.. But is fine, still one of my favorite isekai.

Dex-chan lover
I feel like it hit a stride with the adventuring arc where he was part of a team working to break through the level barrier, then it fell apart after the "suddenly nobles!" plot device and he's been on his own ever since. A solitary murderhobo—that knows nothing but basic world information—is only entertaining for so long.
Having a cast of multiple people allows an author to use their group interactions to progress character development and build drama. It's also quite hard to do it well, which is why the adventuring arc is the most entertaining in Yajin, and also why the author dumped it for the murder-hoboing and cookie cutter auxiliary characters. It's also why Yajin's internal development gets stuck in the "wow, it really is dog-eat-dog here" cycle of 'character development'.

On the other hand, the more straight forward story is easier to translate accurately! Maybe a LN reader could say if Yajin finds longer term friends/enemies besides Puppy in the Toulon arc?

Oof, filler. Suspension of disbelief is getting harder to maintain...

The mangaka should really learn how to use speedlines and smears to represent movement.

Feels kinda bad going months with no new chapters, then just a quick chapter where nothing of consequence happens. But it's better than nothing. Thanks for the translation <3

After a month of waiting. This wasn't really worth it... This has the pacing and length of a shitty manhua at ten times the time for it to release. At least the quality is a little above average. I think it might be better for me to drop this, hopefully there will be enough in a couple years for an enjoyable read. Good luck guys.

Power Uploader
As few others mentioned, it is kind of starts repeating itself to a not enjoyable degree, looking at chapter count, 53 chapters in, and basicly no storyline besides "this is what isekai would look like without bullshit cheats granted to mc from the get go" premise. MC level to what, level 20? 25? And basicly all he get otuside of normal humans is being able to see auras in dark.

Hopefully, story gets into some half-big storylines soon, so that pace won't stale too much.

Dex-chan lover
every city and town is corrupt and killing anyone that dares do anything worthwhile. how everything hasn't collapsed yet i don't know

He is a perpetual outsider, for what it's worth. No family, limited community connections, etc. Even in slums many people watch out for each other, but some scary killer from outside the community is either going to be avoided or receive trouble. The world is harsh, but he's not exactly seeing the best of it.

Maybe this city will be a place he can integrate more once he builds connections, though he may get involved in some kind of gang war with the story being the way it is.

He still left the kid to steal his money. WTF.
Pity is one thing, but this is clearly stupid. That kid would probably grow up to be a murderer some day. :facepalm:

He was just worrying about becoming a human child killer the other chapter, so it makes sense he would hesitate. Probably that's what would make him hesitate the most in that moment. It's also hard for him to condemn the kid as a future murderer when he's an actual murderer. He killed that one surrendering guy to keep authorities from tracking him early on. It makes sense that he admires the kid instead, given the kid didn't do anything that bad that we saw.

I wonder if there will be future comradery between him and the kid where they become allies. I don't know why we would spend so much time on this pickpocket plot point if it's not future relevant in some way. Maybe the kid is trying to feed his sister or whatever so readers can be more sympathetic.

Double-page supporter
When this ends, the final message better be something like "Karate-otakus look for trouble everywhere and that's weird" or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread