Yakudatazu Skill ni Jinsei o Sosogikomi 25-nen, Imasara Saikyou no Boukentan Midori Kashi no Akira - Ch. 36

Dex-chan lover
I'm sorry but the term 'fresh" when used for this kind of thing is just cringe. No need to add modern slang for this.
A fresh look isn't modern slang though?
Edit: You know fresh as in new or different from usual.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I shouldn't be as annoyed as I am about them using cast iron for weapons when they are actually using fantasy materials like the special red iron from that river that clearly had some magic stuff going on. I am still very much annoyed by the casting vs forging thing for weapon quality whenever it shows up in fantasy series.
explain yourself or link some video to that explains it for you, please

Dex-chan lover
explain yourself or link some video to that explains it for you, please
It's not that much that casting vs forging doesn't make sense as a quality difference, it's that casting as an option at all doesn't make sense. Cast iron is fundamentally unsuitable for use as a weapon. It is incredibly brittle and cannot hold an edge, or more that you can't even reliably put an edge on it. This is generally similar with other cast metals as it is a trend related to the casting process, or more how it cools. Though iron is particularly notable in how bad it is, and there are metals where it isn't that notable. When you cast metal you allow it to cool and form large uniform crystals. Forging, in part, breaks up those crystals and produces a composite structure, though it also causes the formation of some other types of crystals that can further reduce the uniformity of the structure. Cracks will form easily in large crystals and spread cleanly, while in a composite structure the forces that produce the cracks are distributed unevenly spreading the load over a wider area preventing the formation of cracks, and even if they form they get interrupted by changes in the structure, limiting their growth.

That isn't to say it can't be done, there are a number of ways to alter the crystal structure to prevent the formation of large crystals, or produce a crystal structure that itself has better properties. Generally though that is far more complicated for us to do, but it might not be so complicated to do in a fantasy world with magical materials. Which is why it annoys me, but probably shouldn't.

Dex-chan lover
looking at the sword in the raws, I'd say it's a saber, but I'm guessing the author is going to think 'curve = katana' and call it one anyway.

Dex-chan lover
I swear tae fuck, if it's a katana I'm going to maim.
It isn't. Although it's two-handed and curved.
For the extremely limited view we get of it, it looks to me like an early 2-handed falchion sabre.
Which is a brutal weapon in and of itself, with its own issues in use, but perfectly suited for what our MC wants it for: lobbing heads off things, with the serious option of Stabbies like a short spear when needed.

Dex-chan lover
That isn't to say it can't be done, there are a number of ways to alter the crystal structure to prevent the formation of large crystals, or produce a crystal structure that itself has better properties. Generally though that is far more complicated for us to do, but it might not be so complicated to do in a fantasy world with magical materials. Which is why it annoys me, but probably shouldn't.
The really good Frankish and Norse smiths could do it.. Even with their limited equipment.
The biggest problem is temperature control and the correct sequence/method of quenching while not introducing/leeching too much carbon out of any steel ( for a given value of steel... **) that you work with.

A lot of the "fake Ulfberth"s were made in that fashion, resulting in the typical crystal pattern cross sections of those things showing the differential hardening of the outer "shell" and the inner "core".
Which also explains why they shattered the way they did as in tales and archeological finds. They could hold an edge, flex some, but mistreat them and the right blow....
But honestly, most Frankish swords were made from precasts, then form-forged and ground to an edge. They needed too many of them to equip their soldiers for empire maintenance/the Bashing of the Moors and their incessant internal feuds.
It was generally only the swords of the high nobility that were fully forged ( and often sent as gifts...). Too expensive and too labour intensive to do at scale.

** I have acquaintance of two smiths who actively try to recreate those ancient irons/steels, as they simply cannot be made anymore. Too pure base materials, and modern furnaces cannot introduce all the pollutants..
It's pure Irony that you need very good smiths to make metal that bad in this day and age... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread