Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru - Ch. 98 - Why did you stop?

Dex-chan lover
Damn, that was cold of them. I get wanting them to get together so both your friends will find happiness, but pushing Takuya at the expense of Akane's happiness? That's just cruel. At least her friend Mayu-chan was supporting Akane but that other girl needs to get her priorities right.

Thanks for the translation.

I was happy that there was no NTR bait for the main characters in this manga, only the girl with glasses in the beginning that was intersted in the MMC, that was a nice change from the usual trope.

Now, it seems the author had no idea left and came back to the mandatory FMC NTR bait.

I get that this new dude has basically 0 chances with Akane, still it's so boring to see the same drama plots over and over again.

Double-page supporter
It irritates me to no end when people try to dictate someone else's relationships like this. I don't care if you ship fictional characters but REAL people should be left out of it because they have REAL feelings. Thanks for listening to me TED talk.
Amen

I can get why their high school friends want that „high school couple“ to work out but it‘s really not the place and time to talk about that. It was just rude.

And then wtf is this creep following Akanecchi for… that‘s gonna force a „Takaya saved Akane and it‘s roooo romantic/ heroic situation“. And we‘re really not here for that lol
Thats not gonna happen you can see it in chapter 99

Dex-chan lover
The shallow reasoning bothers me more than the attempt to dictate relationships.

"he liked her for a really long time."

So what? Is he "owed" her as a girlfriend/prospective wife just because he sat on his hands and didn't act for years? he had his chance and for whatever reasons he chose to do nothing. She obviously didn't feel the same if she didn't pine for him in the same way and she's now in a relationship that makes her happy. As I said last time, take the L and move on. The weird sort of deservedness talk is super cringey.

You don't "deserve" shit. Talk about deserving a girlfriend because a guy's nice and has pined over someone for a long time is desperate, disconnected from reality, and emotionally immature. It sort of comes across like abdicating responsibility for one's failure to launch.

and yes, I say this while recognizing that he never actually engaged in the conversation himself and it was all their friends. It's still cringey when it's done second-hand.
exactly! She's not owed to him she doesn't belong to him and she shouldn't be treated like an object to be handed off to someone because "he deserves it" its a bunch of baloney

Fed-Kun's army
He had his chance and for whatever reasons he chose to do nothing.
The reasons were laid out though. I don't think it's hard to understand the Takaya's situation.
Firstly, he injures her. Not only has he felt bad for it, but a "scary senpai" scolds him so hard and tells him never to see her again.
Secondly, a rough high school life. But it's quite vague on how.
Lastly, a rough family; specifically mentioning a dangerous dad.

All of this is enough to destroy somebody's confidence to confess. I see Takaya's situation as more of a forbidden love and/or him feeling like he didn't deserve her for what he is, where he comes from and what he's done.

Aggregator gang
this chapter was just yikes all around, huh? thanks for the update!

Dex-chan lover
Can we just get some standard fluffy relationship stuff please. I mean honestly it's been almost all drama since they started dating. I haven't really enjoyed this series lately as much as I did before. The streamer neighbor arc was the last time I truly enjoyed this.

Dex-chan lover
This might be a tad long...
Firstly, I understand the annoyance of many with the "drama" being presented in this arc, though its not a huge deviation, just a different kind of drama.
Akane's HS friends (with the one lone rational exception who states she already has a boyfriend) simply strike me as fanciful and immature. Wishing for your friend to succeed in their unrequited love isn't a grievous sin, in most cases it's meddlesome, unwise and inconsiderate. Projecting a desire for others to overcome their regrets because of your own from youth isn't a big stretch, nor is "shipping" your friends, though it ignores the fact that they're older and have different lives now.

We get zero "heart-thumping" monologue from Akane with regard to Takaya, so it seem anything unrequited and romantic would be one sided. Akane is fully in love with Yamada, and does not appear to see others as romantic options. Even if the situation becomes one where Takaya "saves" her, I don't anticipate it shifting her mindset anymore than it did when Eita helped her and Momo in the cafe. That would be disappointing and nonsensical given previous content.

While a "drama" arc is tedious sometimes, this one gives an opportunity to showcase the strength of their relationship, Akane's growth, potential closure for Takaya and who knows, maybe a friggin BF for Momo (that's a stretch, but not outside the realm of the possible).

So while "drama" is annoying at times, especially cliche scenarios, it falls in a wide range and is a highly effective tool for driving the plot and stimulating character development, if done well and to the right extent. Technically, there's been a LOT of "drama" in this manga, it just usually doesn't feel as cliche or "forced".

As ever, thank you for scanlating.

Users who are viewing this thread