Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Ch. 155 - Seto-kun Doesn't Understand Illicit Relationships

Dex-chan lover
I'm honestly not sure what to make of you at this point... It sincerely feels like subtlety and the concept of subplots versus an overarching theme escapes you. Out of my own morbid curiosity, what do you consider a "good" manga?
Off the top of my head my recent fav Rom coms would be, Hino no Baka, Shingeki no Eroko-san, Go home Akutsu-San, that girl who always loses her glasses, Uzaki chan wants to hang out, Saegusa-san Manifests Love With Glasses-senpai, and I love a ton more.

I have plenty of series I really enjoy, i’ll be honest I don’t understand how you defend overall themes when what’s on the page doesn’t match what we were promised at the beginning.

I’ve been reading romance comedies, pretty religiously for almost 2 decades now. I’ve read thousands and my current reading list is almost 700. And I can say with a lot of confidence that needless secondary love interests are being foisted into mangas and it’s an actual issue. You don’t need it.

Dex-chan lover
While I don't recall the first 100 chapters as clearly, having not reread the series from the start in a long while, I know for a fact that both of these statements in general are false, or at least grossly exaggerated. But arguing that is just a waste of time, and an exercise in whataboutisms

You're assuming I haven't been following the manga for nearly it's entire time being fan translated, I do understand.

This right here is what I think has made me grow more and more out of manga as I age, the hyperfixation on a fictional relationship boiling down to who "wins and loses" like this shit is anything but an admittedly overused story telling device, is what creeps me out about fans, you can see the obvious shit coming, so it's your own fault for falling for it.

That sentence right there as well is why the phrase "touch grass" is so popular.

Edit: Not sure why the quote boxes deleted who I was responding to but oh well.
There’s something ironic about telling someone to touch grass after writing a Reddit like essay about whataboutism but you do you bud

Dex-chan lover
outside of the original "Pilot" chapter which isn't canon there was zero hint of romance between them.
but for 150 issues she was a doll
While I don't recall the first 100 chapters as clearly, having not reread the series from the start in a long while, I know for a fact that both of these statements in general are false, or at least grossly exaggerated. But arguing that is just a waste of time, and an exercise in whataboutisms
That's something only people who read it on release can understand.
You're assuming I haven't been following the manga for nearly it's entire time being fan translated, I do understand.
"Wow I can't belive she won!" only to have that ripped from your grasp was something i won't ever forgive.
This right here is what I think has made me grow more and more out of manga as I age, the hyperfixation on a fictional relationship boiling down to who "wins and loses" like this shit is anything but an admittedly overused story telling device, is what creeps me out about fans, you can see the obvious shit coming, so it's your own fault for falling for it.

That sentence right there as well is why the phrase "touch grass" is so popular.

Dex-chan lover
The infirmary teacher gave some bad advice tbh. Real responsibility is teaching them to use condom when having sex.

Couples gonna have sex. There's almost no way of preventing that, in 99% case. So the best advice on taking responsibility you can offer is teaching them contraception. Condom is the easiest and most common way. Follow up with proper sex education. Just because sex is natural doesn't mean you go bang like rabbits 24/7. Remind them that they are still students and to prioritize studying over romance.

Educate them. Mistakes make people grow but sometimes mistake can be too big of a fuck up and will ruin lives. You don't want more unwanted pregnancy.

Dex-chan lover
Off the top of my head my recent fav Rom coms would be, Hino no Baka, Shingeki no Eroko-san, Go home Akutsu-San, that girl who always loses her glasses, Uzaki chan wants to hang out, Saegusa-san Manifests Love With Glasses-senpai, and I love a ton more.

I have plenty of series I really enjoy, i’ll be honest I don’t understand how you defend overall themes when what’s on the page doesn’t match what we were promised at the beginning.

I’ve been reading romance comedies, pretty religiously for almost 2 decades now. I’ve read thousands and my current reading list is almost 700. And I can say with a lot of confidence that needless secondary love interests are being foisted into mangas and it’s an actual issue. You don’t need it.
Now that's interesting to me. You listed off what I consider good works, including one of my current top reads.

As far as "what was promised at the beginning", there are times when a theme is vague enough to allow a lot of flexibility, and I accept that. Komi, for reference, the Manbagi situation is not particularly bizarre in content or context, nor does her arrival partway invalidate the subtle closing of distance prior. The almost " variety show" nature of Komi (rather than it being a straightforward romcom) lends to the theme being... Well... Muddled at times, I'll admit.

As far as secondary love interests being needless, by definition (by name alone even) they are unecessary. That's not something remarkable, or in any way a new device in RomComs, SOL, or really ANY genre. Whether or not one endorses the concept, which can be tedious, it's a consistent way to introduce a variety of effects; tension, conflict, growth, or even to simply highlight the relationship value between MCs.

Have you read Shiotaiou no Sato-san yet?

Dex-chan lover
High anxiety, massive fear of failure (which includes losing Anjou) not exactly socially adept either. While it is a bit dramatic, I personally don't find it out of character. I still find it indicative of growth, "old" Seto is unlikely to have even been proactive enough to even consider the situation, let alone ask the questions. It's a bit over the top sometimes, I don't know if that's artistic license to highlight or "exaggerate" his personality, but I feel it squeaks into the realm of reasonable, and at least stays consistent to "who he is".
The Seto before wouldn't have even said anything when Anjou was making moves on him, which could have led to a worse situation if the experience wasn't one he desired but felt coerced into. Him speaking up and telling Anjou that he's not ready mentally and asking people about experience and how to proceed is him growing in this aspect, within his comfort zone. This story has also been very loose with its depictions of people and their personalities throughout. So I don't see it as jarring.

Dex-chan lover
The Seto before wouldn't have even said anything when Anjou was making moves on him, which could have led to a worse situation if the experience wasn't one he desired but felt coerced into. Him speaking up and telling Anjou that he's not ready mentally and asking people about experience and how to proceed is him growing in this aspect, within his comfort zone. This story has also been very loose with its depictions of people and their personalities throughout. So I don't see it as jarring.
Agreed, there's a fair amount of growth demonstrated through subtle behavioral changes, rather than purely through internal monologue (though there's some of that as well). I find it more enjoyable to "see" the changes, rather than merely have the end result come out in a paradigm shift.

I'm honestly getting annoyed and frustrated how much of a little beta he is becoming, bloody man up and kiss her if she wants a kiss, not stonewall her, say no often enough and she will frick off, it is not like she is sucking him dry in puplic.

You are partners bloody hell.

Users who are viewing this thread