Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Vol. 14 Ch. 173 - Inuyama-kun's Slump

Dex-chan lover
But regardless, this is precisely an example of a still life used for the metaphorical meaning of the items chosen to be depicted - something Inuyama cannot do.

I'm not sure what you mean by base but my guess is that it's the intentional break in the black curve along the faucet. The author could have drawn a faucet w/o that shading, which is what they do 2 panels back when they don't want to emphasize anything.

A fun example is Mori Koaru - here she's very intentionally mimicking the style found in the flyers restaurants hand out
https://mangadex.org/chapter/477bebe1-1484-423d-9131-e2e8f10d1100/3
Even if you strip out the coloring, the food has a playfulness in the line where this feels much more formal still life
https://mangadex.org/chapter/8dda4a44-0e91-444d-9141-86fc4423097a/22

He literally just has to show some artistic intent.

Yeah, like I feel folks are interpreting "artistic intent" to be like "read the instructors mind for what they wanted" when really it's like did you show you were curious about what you were drawing or were you just trying to knock out the assignment? B/c part of being a creative is taking a brief as a challenge and seeing how you can run w/ it in interesting ways - the more constrained the bigger the challenge - and like this is the judging portion of basically every arts reality show. Which like "The Makeup Remover" I think unpacks this really nicely.

Dex-chan lover
I think it boils down to this:
If you sit me in front of a bowl of fruit, and say "draw", I'm going to draw what I see: A bowl of fruit
If you tell me "put your own spin/style into this bowl of fruit", I'm gonna draw something more creative.

TEACHER, YOU NEED TO TELL ME. I'M NOT PSYCHIC TO YOUR SUBJECTIVE WHIMS.

Banned
nah I get it, Inuyama is that kind of artist who can perfectly recreate what they see, but its just like a copy printer, nothing there, no style no feeling. It's like when you see people who go viral for "perfectly draw someone from a picture." Yes its great to see it on a canvas, but thats all it is, a copy. There is no soul.

Just Imagine Inuyama just copy and pasted what his eyes see. The teacher did say it was good and he had talent, but souless art wont get you anywhere.

Banned
I think it boils down to this:
If you sit me in front of a bowl of fruit, and say "draw", I'm going to draw what I see: A bowl of fruit
If you tell me "put your own spin/style into this bowl of fruit", I'm gonna draw something more creative.

TEACHER, YOU NEED TO TELL ME. I'M NOT PSYCHIC TO YOUR SUBJECTIVE WHIMS.
an artist doesn't need to be told tbh. style and soul comes out naturally. How they make strokes or where they start. What do they get right, what do they get wrong?

Dex-chan lover
nah I get it, Inuyama is that kind of artist who can perfectly recreate what they see, but its just like a copy printer, nothing there, no style no feeling.

Going by his art teachers feedback, it sounds like his usual lense is erotic & he's currently too in his head about Toyoda thinking he's a perv to run w/ it.

Which (intentionally I'm sure) mirrors Seto's being too in his head about fooling around with Anjou b/c he has all these ideals/expectations about "the right thing" to do.

Dex-chan lover
nah I get it, Inuyama is that kind of artist who can perfectly recreate what they see, but its just like a copy printer, nothing there, no style no feeling. It's like when you see people who go viral for "perfectly draw someone from a picture." Yes its great to see it on a canvas, but thats all it is, a copy. There is no soul.
Just Imagine Inuyama just copy and pasted what his eyes see. The teacher did say it was good and he had talent, but souless art wont get you anywhere.
In a realistic still life sketch, he went for realism? What a catastrophe!
When Inuyama tries to pull a log from gacha for seeing eroticism in it, it's played as a joke. Now him bringing out eroticism in an effing cup is discussed as anything but.

Yeah, like I feel folks are interpreting "artistic intent" to be like "read the instructors mind for what they wanted" when really it's like did you show you were curious about what you were drawing or were you just trying to knock out the assignment? B/c part of being a creative is taking a brief as a challenge and seeing how you can run w/ it in interesting ways - the more constrained the bigger the challenge
Then ask a hundred viewers of a realist sketch with """creativity unleashed""", and they will give you a hundred different answers on what it is they see and whether they see anything at all. Same as you your eye is drawn towards the drop that's about to fall in the example above, while mine is drawn towards the very shiny faucet's side empathized both plastically and coloristically.
It is ridiculous to rate artists on that, especially with bullshit instructions like the ones demonstrated.

Dex-chan lover
Same as you your eye is drawn towards the drop that's about to fall in the example above, while mine is drawn towards the very shiny faucet's side empathized both plastically and coloristically.

See that's the point though, the artist was intentional enough in the drawing that we can pick out things to discuss and back it by the use of techniques.

Like AI can usually generate a realistic enough representation of a still life, but it doesn't know why it's using those techniques. Basically deconstructing use of technique in AI art would be reverse engineering the model, while deconstructing the use of technique in human art should get you to intent.
Edit: What I mean is AI doesn't know that it's emphasizing the arc of a faucet, while a human artist had to have intentionally executed the techniques necessary to emphasize the arc of a faucet and therefore should hopefully have had a reason for doing so.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Man, shit like this is why I would never even consider going to art school even if im interested in a career in arts. Being graded and judged for things that are 100% subjective and up to their discretion is bullshit. The whole thing is a scam.

Banned
In a realistic still life sketch, he went for realism?
Nothing about it was realism or such. Like the main point isn’t that he went for realism, it’s that what he drew wasn’t anything.

Lifeless. You can tell everything about someone from their art. He just boringly did something.

Dex-chan lover
Nothing about it was realism or such. Like the main point isn’t that he went for realism, it’s that what he drew wasn’t anything.
Every sketch we see in the frame, including the winners, is done in a realist style. There is no toolset to make a realist sketch "anything" but what is depicted, unless the viewer is ready to blow meanings out of their own ass.

Lol, the author don't know shit about art. Derivative means imitating someones art. Inuyama was drawing a picture of an object, that is not a derivative work.

Dex-chan lover
And that's how you lose the promising students, fucking pretentions snobs that are just repeating what their previous pretentious snob teacher conditioned into them into the next generation

Users who are viewing this thread