Yankee JK KuzuHana-chan - Ch. 171 - Horoscopes

Dex-chan lover
It's talking about zodiac signs. It isn't even remotely true.
Ok, I get it. I was trying to be funny by shooting myself in the foot since those things about Virgo are also things that apply to me since my bd's in early September. And I clearly failed.

Dex-chan lover
that's a real virgo mindset

IMG_2359.gif

“Ugh sorry guys I’m such a virgo🫣🙈”

Fed-Kun's army
did the author base the characters on horoscopes?
Pretty sure more "cherry picked certain qualities that these horoscopes sort of represent" than anything. As people noted, it's as accurate as basing qualities on the 12 zodiac animals (based on lunar year) instead of the zodiac signs (loosely based on lunar month), or using tarot cards to determine your future - ie: completely vague to the point that it could cover just about anyone.

(The girls themselves are fairly run-of-the-mill standard harem trope members, nothing to say there)

Dex-chan lover
Genuinely surprised that they are on Discord instead of Line, seems like translator shenanigans to me
I'm not knowledgeable enough about Line, but does it not support group calls and chatting like Discord does?

Dex-chan lover
That throwback panel on page 7 you can really see how the artist's style has changed. Ganbatte, artist-san.:clap:
I still don't understand the physics behind hanako's hair design tho, idk but I feel tired just by seeing someone with hair on the face like that tbh

Dex-chan lover
I hate this because we all know hanako is going to be the winner, yet the author keeps introducing more cute girls to the harem
Yeah, it's kinda amusing to watch the rating slowly drop the longer this drags on.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not knowledgeable enough about Line, but does it not support group calls and chatting like Discord does?
It does, in fact not inviting people into the Line group chat of a classroom is a popular form of bullying in Japan

Dex-chan lover
It isn't, Japanese people are much more into stereotyping personalities by blood type rather than zodiac signs. Which is why the author got it wrong - Madoka, being born on the 26th of October, would be a Scorpio and not a Libra.
Yep, I'm born the next day and I'm a certified Scorpio. :chad:

Dex-chan lover
Well, I guess I was born a bit too early - I'm a Leo, but a polar opposite of the description. In fact, Virgo describes me almost perfectly.

However, as described by Senku (Dr Stone), over millennia, zodiac sign's stars and calendar dates drift apart, so even date ranges assigned to zodiac signs are not accurate anymore anyway.

Dex-chan lover
This is the typical episode to lay out all the birthdays and have fans of it celebrate their waifus, amirite?

did the author base the characters on horoscopes?
The girls are named after and likely based on animals. Kuzuryu -> dragon, Takae -> eagle, Ushigome -> cow, Kodera -> tiger, Nekomiya -> cat, Itachi -> weasel, Shishidou -> lion, Kamogawa -> duck, Shiratori -> swan, Tsuruhashi -> crane, Kijitani -> pheasant, Inukai -> dog, Hibino -> baboon/monkey (which is why there was a momotaro reference a while ago), Usagi -> rabbit, Samejima -> shark, Hakubishi -> civet, Rakuda -> camel. So far the general pattern seems to be that the girls not interested in Saotome don't explicitly have their animal written out in their first names (e.g. nekomiya is spelled without the kanji for cat), though Shishidou and HIbino seem to be exceptions to this?
oh my god I just realized the bird girls are working together :kek:
And I think Saotome Hodaka roughly means... "young maiden (in the context of an agricultural ritual)" and "tall grain".
dude's dense because he's literally just a plant :thonk:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It isn't, Japanese people are much more into stereotyping personalities by blood type rather than zodiac signs. Which is why the author got it wrong - Madoka, being born on the 26th of October, would be a Scorpio and not a Libra.
I'm aware of the blood types, but the Japanese literally have their own names for the western horoscopes, implying importance and usage.
You're right that he made a mistake though, but mistakes can happen in research. If the author is a guy, he probably doesn't care about this horoscope stuff. Or, the translator made a mistake and it might actually be Oct 23rd...

Users who are viewing this thread