Yankee JK KuzuHana-chan - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - How ta spend da after school

Power Uploader
@Hitspark I was specifically talking about series that start dark but then then turn to fluff; that is different from something that was always fluffy. How many other examples can you name of series that started dark, and then became fluffy?

Dex-chan lover
@trapsarebetter

My guy, are you skimming my comments? Torture, blackmail and attempted murder of a classmate aren't considered dark for you? Some pretty high standards, I must admit. Ijimeru didn't start comedic, it became comedic. From there it just decided to throw romance in as a subplot and ran with it. As for do I know of any, I already stated that I don't tend to read much Edgy or Dark material. So I only know of a few (couple I had to consult a list for since I don't tend to read edgy or dark).

Higurashi does this pretty consistently (though I've never read the manga and it's usually from happy to horror), Gravitation (switches back and forth regularly), Akame Ga Kill - OK I absolutely hate this one. The first chapter pulls you in thinking you're gonna see some deep exploration of a dark and twisted kingdom....then it's like "SIKE! They're just like normal shonen heroes with all the villains being cartoonishly evil but not "dark"!" and then goes on with that. It's got a ton of "Manufactured edge" meaning it's only there for shock value at most and it's not really that shocking. Ugh, anywho, those are some other series that do this kind of thing. People refer to it as "Mood Whiplash" btw.

Dex-chan lover
I actually hope MC manages to mostly solve this one on his own with Hanako's help. Whilst she is undisputedly the best person, as the rest of them seem to all just want in his pants to steal his wallet, if she just keeps saving his ass like Superman does to Lois Lane, it will get pretty stale. I will say I think the pacing is a bit messed up, like I don't think Hanako should have fallen for him this quickly, but I think Satomoe needs his time to shine. (He evens mentions it with the ominous "a vulnerable airhead..." quote, which might imply this is his imagination, but I doubt it)

I also want to say that this shift in tone isn't nearly as bad as other manga like Gal Cleaning, and has been built up more than in that.
compensated dating and sexual exploitation have been addressed to some extent already, and it's made very clear most of the girls want to harass and bully MC using their bodies to get blackmail over him. Hell, Takae thinks the best way to flirt with the man she's repeatedly tried to blackmail and use for her own ends is to say that the one person she wouldn't mind getting paid to date someone would be him. (I have issues with how Takae still hasn't even apologized or acknowledged what she did was wrong, which I think should either be a major point of contention in their relationship or should be at least pointed out at some point.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a fan of grimdark universes like Warhammer 40k. Most of the shit you listed off would be LESS extreme then some of the shit you listed off. Hell, to me those conflicts are pretty standard. Dark is when you have to fight off a race of space pirates who have to instill intense emotions in their victims, lest their very souls be feed to daemonic entities slowly. And that's just the Dark Eldar, Chaos is its own bag of existential horror...

What I'm trying to say is that I am almost certainly a terrible person who is desensitized to all except the most extreme of fucked up shit.
@Hitspark

Dex-chan lover
I think it the point of her not "getting it" on how wrong it is to blackmail someone with your body is that she, like the rest of the Gyaru in this universe, are puuuuure evil. Ignorantly evil or actively malicious seems to come down to the character itself, but I think she's slowly starting to get it as Hana has a decent relationship with Protagonist-kun and he clearly prefers her, and she hasn't done anything to him. I think she'll eventually figure it out and struggle with it personally for a bit and then she'll try to better herself and go for the MC as Hana's "Equal" (lol-nah).

This series reminded me of another one I used to read, where the girls were literally evil. Like so evil that they would cause storms or cause demons to appear. The MC was also pretty similar in the sense that he never intended to attract any of these girls and the one he is attracted to seems to be the best/worst of them all. I forget the name but it has to do with him accidentally placing a magic sigil on his head that attracted wicked women to him. At first he relies on everyone else but slowly starts to learn to fight on his own. If protagonist-kun did eventually learn to stand up for himself then I agree that would be a big plus as you could then use him to be a decent moral counter-balance (which the author clearly wants him to be).

As for the grimmdark, yeah a lot of that stuff isn't that bad in the grand scheme of the genre. That being said - Slaanesh sees you, Tamerlane.

Contributor
Last page is just pure cringe. She is about to be raped and it's used for a cheap laugh

Tbqh if the MC appears to save her then I'll seriously consider dropping this. Why should the MC, or the reader, even care about her? Her choices, her consequences. Simple as.

Dex-chan lover
@trapsarebetter
This is pure r/im14andthisisdeep stuff with a hint of r/iamverysmart sprinkled over it. How did you manage to hope for such things? And interesting start? What the? It's a regular harem first chapter and for you too expect such things are pretty weird. Lol😁

Power Uploader
@Sonaldo regular harem? Is your definition of a "harem" little more than "many female characters"? What "regular" harem starts with the protagonist extorted, framed and blackmailed?

As we mentioned, many other series started as dark, and stayed that way.

Dex-chan lover
@anon_whos_not_a_fag Eh, he's expressed concern, and I don't mind MC not condoning of rape, even of people who have engaged in risky behavior. (She thought she had a deal, and that she was keeping it safe, her customer didn't agree and was willing to lure her in with an elaborate plot.)

What would annoy me more about a rescue would be the main question - what is he even doing there? Did he suddenly turn into a grade A stalker? Because that much I agree with you, it's her choice enough that it ain't anyone elses job to actively be her secret bodyguard.

So for her sake I hope she's street smart enough to have brought some pepper spray or a taser to the table (and that her weird question was because she's also recording the date, so any charges about using illegal weaponry can be reduced by her evidence that she was under a clear threat.)

Dex-chan lover
Tbqh if the MC appears to save her then I'll seriously consider dropping this. Why should the MC, or the reader, even care about her? Her choices, her consequences. Simple as.

i feel this, but ya kno

nTr

Aggregator gang
MC will begin Thot Rehabilitation Programme school-wde sooner or later

Dex-chan lover
man...is this guy gonna care about every girl that talks to him more than 5 min?

Dex-chan lover
"I don't do compensated dating! I just collect money from my dates."

Users who are viewing this thread