Yankee-kun to Hakujou Gaaru - Vol. 2 Ch. 35 - Bouquet

Dex-chan lover
@OniBarubary I know you meant that facetiously, but it really is true. There are so many movies with woefully underdeveloped relationships, but the male and female lead must get together because, it’s obligatory, and there are plenty of movies that function perfectly without romance being at the forefront or present at all. If a story can’t properly develop a relationship, it shouldn’t bother in the first place.

Other mangakas should take notes.

Don't judge me, but I extremly dislike crossbending stories and stories where homosexuality is all about fan service for certain people or shown as easily socially accepted.

It came out of nowhere, but the mangaka portrayed Shishio in way where you can accept his homosexuality. His personality wasn't like so many streotypes or how I imagine BL stories, where it is almost so cringworthy I won't even try to read it. He had no exaggerated character traits. And the mangaka hinted at least that even today being homosexual comes with its struggles. Only few mangas were able to convey all of that, "Otto no Otouto", for example using this theme as its main story.

But still sad for the sister^^

Fed-Kun's army
@AnimeFan27 Maybe I'm remembering future chapters rather than past ones, but I think it had a fair amount of foreshadowing. Maybe I noticed it because I read everything three to four times (once to enjoy, once or twice to transcribe and translate, and once to review so I can enjoy everyone's comments).

Here are at least a couple examples of the foreshadowing.
Shishio sulking upon being introduced to Yukiko: https://mangadex.org/chapter/775157/3
Shishio avoiding Izumi's eyes and saying he has someone he likes: https://mangadex.org/chapter/793094/6

Edit: Oh, yeah, I just remembered that there were also comments on MangaDex from people thinking this would happen, so there must have been strong enough hints for those folks. :p

I will say that if you cannot reconcile the idea of “homosexual people exist” with the other of clause of “you probably know one” then you’re in for a rude awakening at some point in your life

Aggregator gang
@DeProgrammer The second page you posted especially is when you can kinda tell Shishio's lack of outside attraction isn't just for the usual 'haha joke gay bromance subtext' but foreshadowing that being gay is a genuine part of his character, imo.

Fed-Kun's army
Lately, i've been consistently amazed by how... considerate and thoughtful this manga is. I can't say I have the kind of difficulties several of the characters do, or anything comparable. There's nothing that I have to go out of my way to justify to society because it's unfairly looked down on, but I feel deeply for the stories being shown here, and for the empathy shown towards other people's perspectives and experiences. It's just... really nice and insightful.

@DeProgrammer Well, now that that you point out the evidence it was indeed foreshadowing 😆.
But, the rest is still true, at least in my opinion. The manga balances comedy and seriousness very well. Especially, the stigma with certain traits.

Side Note: Thank you, for translating this manga

@OniBarubary so true, relationships in many movies or media are so under developed and agonizingly plain that it hurts. Straight, gay whatever. It’s usually a victim of the “norm” with a lot of comedies or romantic comedies where the two main leads HAVE to get together or have some sort of diversity where nothing is impacted or nothing is changed. Character driven romance where the two main protagonists learn off one another and grow as people learning valuable life lessons is rare to see these days.

Dex-chan lover
i think some ppl didnt see this coming because of the meme jokes, like when in a romance manga the girl has a good friend and someone goes: ''Yuri route unlocked!'' same for dudes, like if they have any deep connection to another dude (hell even a shallow connection works, or maybe only coz someone hot appears) someone will make the ''gay jokes'', and then carry on forgeting about it. So when it turns out it actually was sub context everyone is like Oh Shit!, coz they already closed off the possibility by making it a joke.

Honestly i feel here it was well presented, coz i noticed the clues and everything, thks for the chapter

Dex-chan lover
This last chapter really moved me.

Thanks for the translation !

Dex-chan lover
Surprisingly heavy (in a good way), these last few chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread