Yasei no Last Boss ga Arawareta! - Vol. 5 Ch. 23 - The Pusuit

Double-page supporter
TFW the character that was supposed to be "generic isekai protagonist" is actually more interesting a character than basically every generic isekai protagonist combined.
I like how he questions things, notices somethings odd, he also seems to have some kind of backstory, was his dad maybe a soldier in the military?

I was under the impression that for some reason unlike all the others Scorpius would be different and not be loyal to Lufasu with her behaviour. Did not expect the yandere, should I have?

@saifors @Dezaki @Scrabbleman @HDMI1
Actually, it seems as though the manga skipped his backstory. Megrez was supposed to ask Sei about why he goes about things the way he does, to which Sei explained his backstory (or rather, his father's). I too really like this spin on the "supposed to be generic isekai protagonist." I just now checked the raws for the next few chapters (since it's up to chapter 26 in Japanese) and the backstory has indeed been skipped. So, since the explanation for it was skipped, I'll explain it here:

In short, his father's a policeman, but he ended up catching someone who seemed like the culprit, and the father was convinced of it at the time based on the evidences and didn't question it more. The person was judged guilty and incarcerated, but then the real culprit was found. Thing is, by that point, the innocent who was punished for the crime had already committed suicide.
When the father learned of it, he immediately started blaming himself for having led to the death of an innocent. He became quite depressed and alcoholic as a result. That happened when Sei was quite young, and the change in his father's psyche as a result of all that, along with his father repeated words to his son to never make the same mistakes he did, all had a big impact on Sei's viewpoint of things as he grew up. That's the reason he always questions things. It's been drilled into his head by his father almost his entire life.
Prior to that having happened, his father was his idol/hero-figure. Sei wanted to become a policeman too, but then that happened and the idol crashed and became an example of what not to do for both of them.

Edit: @RayKadoodles yeah, that's pretty much what happened.

Double-page supporter
@Sancturil I see, that makes sense, shame it wasn't explained only subtly implied, maybe it could get brought back up again at a later point?

@saifors Maybe, I can think of one more time in the story where it might fit, but the thing is that it would also feel a bit out of place at that moment (and would distract from what's actually happening with Sei at the time, especially with him already having lines of his thoughts and worries in that moment of the story). The most fitting moment in the story for Sei to explain his backstory was when he told it to Megrez. The manga has already been at quite the fast pace so far, so I don't see it being told in more detail at a later point in the manga.

Heck, in the novel, the person who explained the backstory of the Golden Apple was Megrez (to Sei). All that Dina actually told Ruphas was what it does and the differences between that world and the game in relation to the Golden Apple and to Leveling.
In the novel, most of the discussion in this chapter took place before Scorpius' attack on Blutgang, and it ended with Sei's line about wanting Megrez' help (right before Megrez told Sei about the Golden Apple). Then, the novel turned its focus back on Ruphas and co. in Blutgang. Then Scorpius attacked, and things went on like that up until Ruphas made a Golden Apple. From that point on, the focus shifted back to Megrez now explaining to Sei what the Golden Apple is, its backstory and effects, and then the chapter(62) ended with him saying that Ruphas is the only person he knows in the world to be able to make them.
Then, the next chapter (63) is the one that's pretty much completely skipped, with his containing not only Sei's backstory, but also Megrez's decision to help Sei. It also included Megrez explaining why Ruphas is the only one capable of making the Golden Apples, as well as the reason why Merak(the Flugel Hero) was fine even though he ate those apples. All in all, I really like that chapter, and it's a real shame that it was 100% skipped in the manga adaptation.

I like this Sei kid, he truly has the quality of a Hero, very different than those generic Isekai MC

new translator again? Terminology used is all over the place.Lots of translation and grammar errors too.
LH translation seems to be getting more sloppy...

Group Leader
images

Dex-chan lover
A yandere who's had 200+ years to nurture there yan side is probably not something you want to ever meet.

Users who are viewing this thread