YJK no Ijou na Aijou

Group Leader
Something I dont get about this series.

1. why did the author skip to the marrige arc when he had more in mind? I assume mangaka meant to wrap it up there since they said "fin~" but then had more ideas in mind/wanted to milk it a bit more?
  2. Why the raira get back with MC at the end despite treating him coldly and terribly, even saying "I'm glad I broke up with him." and especially after he said he has given up on her? Especially since they both started to date different people.
  3. I assume the current arc is time travel/flashback to what happened between comma and the marriage and no matter what, the end result is raira and MC getting married? or is it one of those multi route manga that shows the ending with all the girls?
  4. Why didn't she want to get back together? I assumed they initially broke up due to lack of effort and passion from MC towards her and manga as he became more work centric. but didn't he fix it? why coudlnt they work it out? Why did she just, nope out?
This was going well till FMC decide to tell everyone that she and mc dating, thats when story goes downhill and I dnt even understand why author make arc about mc getting succesful from just 1 year as freelancer I would say author could hv make this into something good with drama and struggle of mc finding new mangaka etc.

If you really want to read this, i can only recommend one thing. STOP at chapter 17, do NOT read any chapters after that. If you decide to read any further, you WILL be disappointed. Up to chapter 17 it's a 7 or 8 out of 10, after chapter 17, it quickly devolves into a 1 or 2.

Dex-chan lover
Ooff, looks like it got axed
Kinda but considering Part I took 5 volumes and Part II also 5 volumes its about the same length ... except Part II is a what if that depends on Part I as background and doesnt stand on its and ends up taking more space as a result.

And thats kinda the problem, you see Part II adds a new character that becames the FMC but as it relies on Part I where she doesnt exist its unnatural, its not like a series with a love triangle were you can pick a divergent point and go with heroine b instead of a, worst is that it makes Raira look worst because it have to destroy their relationship to prop up the new out of the blue character that is kinda awful considering she is the FMC of half the series. Not the other characters are treated much better and they were all potential interests.

That begs the question of why? I get the author have a ... preference but there was a tanned gayru that was also a mangaka in part I, why creating a new character? Its also weird as it looks it was axed at around chapter 30 since it kinda rushes to a ending and then we have what is a new FMC going for 5 more volumes.

Anyway, this is kinda a example of what not to do ... if you want to create a what if scenario at least it needs to be set up properly and use a character that been present before and have a natural relationship already, also dont destroy other characters to prop then up, a problem this series also have is that the MC Kato is mistreated and seems to lack agency making it hard to root for him as he just exists as a toy for the FMCs.

????????????
wtf just happened????
what the hell is this story development???? aaaaaaaa

Dex-chan lover
Alright so this is similar to witnessing a horrible accident. You just can't look away even though it's awful and ya it is really that bad.

Double-page supporter
This has probably the best or close to the best art in any manga I've seen up till now. That's probably the main draw for reading this, but I don't think that's a good reason to get emotionally invested.

I understand why this manga has so many negative review, all you guys said the FMC is the worst, but somehow I can relate to her (I'm a guy btw), I used to have a gf that younger than me (7 years apart) she still in the university when we first met. Young people nowaday devote themself to love pretty easily, imo, could be good or bad thing. Somehow they also easy to find new love if they think partner not treat them with care. Somehow not much manga show us this, we always thought and expect the FMC will be comeback one way or another like other mangas, but she took next step, that happens alot in reality, and ofc she very strong character and still young, she should have her chance.
We all ok and love harem story, one guy with many girls around, in the end he chose one, but when the FMC has her chance to meet another guy ( ex-playboy, but somehow still have decent character), that we feel betrayed and call her bitch, I just feel not fair.
I'm the one who want to broke up with my ex-gf, at that time age apart somehow make us don't have same thinking, now I looked back, she in my eyes a very good and nice girl, and I regret that I broke up (I tried to make up twice but well it not happens). And I feel like there a part of me in this manga.
My thought never change your opinions, I read the end raw, but still waiting for the team finish their translating

I'm genuinely surprised at how much people dislike this series.
While I get that it IS very messy plot-wise, and not to mention the icky theme of dating minors (ew), it is as well-handled as, I think, a series of this kind can be.
It showed surprising maturity in its depiction of relationships, particularly [spoilers] about breaking up with your first love, and the obsession that comes afterward.
I'm glad both the MC and the original FMC have gone their separate ways currently, although I disagree with the decision to shoe-in another heroine as some kind of rebound opportunity (and another minor at that).
The Marriage thing fake-out threw me off some, I did not like that.
The MC suffers from unhealthy tropes, but his imperfectness, I think, is better handled than most characters of his kind that I've read. And here's the thing, I don't think he's meant to be just another audience surrogate-- and I don't think we're meant to root for him either. Considering his flaws, he's still a very interesting character, and I stand on that hill.
As someone who draws, I think that the art in this series is great! It conveys all the feels through big moments, and the more intimate ones especially.

In short, it's as kitschy a rom-com drama as the rest of 'em, but this one made go through some shit. It made me feel something I haven't felt for a while reading all sorts of romance manga: conflicted. And that's special.

8/10 - I don't think it deserves a 5 (y'all wild for putting this in the same company as NTREVENGE, it ain't that bad)

Dex-chan lover
Just finished chapter 58, is the one where the MC shits himself. :poop:

Want to put that out there to make it clear the sort of twists the author will put, they are various, they are bizarre, they are random.

This series is bizarre, the art is good, the author is willing to show nudity and have characters committ, hower he is rather bipolar, I think is likely the author did what they felt like doing, he should feel lucky because I have seen things that were drawn with love and got cut rather early.

There are essentially 2 stories in this one, I can't make sense of the second one until I read it to the end, but the second one is essentially an alternative route.
A series like Amagami is peculiar because it has an "omnibus format", no rivarly between any girl, no triangles, no cheating, the MC goes through all of them as if we were witnessing alternative universes, ever since I watched I hoped for another series like it, they tried to make a spiritual sequel and it did not work out, Photokano I could never finish it, Yotsuga no sora seems to be the only good alternative.

Now these series I cited make it very clear while and just like a Visual novel there is a starting point that diverge in a girl's path, in this one, the alternative universe, is like a sudden train accident, it comes midway after the breakup and in-between the timeskip, so you are left wondering "is this still the first route?", you are left clinging like the MC to the heroine and then it gets into a triangle with 3 more girls.

This alternative universe could have been other things....1) Dealing with a breakup and moving 2) What if the MC had gotten together with that other girl.
But it stumbles, often, the MC often sheds all his development and age, he is paired once again with someone younger than him, an obstacle that feels completely arbitrary and boring a re-tread that adds padding, the series still clings onto her Ex which could probably sour the experience you had with the first part of the Manga................

Imagine if an Amagami route spent 1/3 of its time with the MC fixated onto another girl and her acting like....well a bitch.

Should you read this?

Well you can enjoy the story for the main couple and end it after the timeskip the manga certainly deliver more than the average Romcom meaning that is not just "will they won't they until the end when they confess and maybe kiss". the "ending" is very clear cut, you can't miss it.
But if you did not like the lowest points of either these 2 characters, don't read the alternative path, because I think it will ruin your impression of these characters.........maybe check out the .extra chapters for some Fanservice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could recommend other better series.
I fear the author derives enjoyment from making a character act dumb.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread