Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 164 - Curse

Dex-chan lover
Didn't Kiku LITERALLY say in the previous chapter that sunlight will NOT kill a vampire? And if it was that what was this whole convoluted pursuit of suicide bs?
Here's how I explained it to my friend, with as much context guessing as I could do:
"In this comedic Shyamalan manga twist, vampires are probably immortal, unless you make them touch something precious from their life in which case they're nearly paralyzed and the sun will kill them instantly instead of just weakening them and maybe making them pass out.

For an ancient vampire lady, by falling in love with the human boy she groomed she gained a new precious thing.

The boy she groomed cherishes the woman who used to come talk to him in the park when he was vulnerable after his brother died.

So ancient vampire chick turns him into a vampire, reveals that she was that park lady from when he was a small child, they are trapped in eachothers arms and get dusted as the sun rises.

MC is standing there and watching the entire time"

Aggregator gang
How do they die?

I thought vampire in this series are too strong to just die from sunlight

If Kiku dies easily from sun, why does she chose such round about way to finally die?

Dex-chan lover
Why was Kiku Mahiru's human weakness? When the Detective's father died, he had to hold the lighter the detective gave him, touching the detective herself didn't do anything. I don't think the author has thought this through.

Dex-chan lover
Not sure if i understand it correctly, but is it like because both of them are each other's weaknesses, so one die leading to the other's death as well?

Dex-chan lover
Here's how I explained it to my friend, with as much context guessing as I could do:
"In this comedic Shyamalan manga twist, vampires are probably immortal, unless you make them touch something precious from their life in which case they're nearly paralyzed and the sun will kill them instantly instead of just weakening them and maybe making them pass out.

For an ancient vampire lady, by falling in love with the human boy she groomed she gained a new precious thing.

The boy she groomed cherishes the woman who used to come talk to him in the park when he was vulnerable after his brother died.

So ancient vampire chick turns him into a vampire, reveals that she was that park lady from when he was a small child, they are trapped in eachothers arms and get dusted as the sun rises.

MC is standing there and watching the entire time"
Here's the thing tho, wouldn't that mean that EVERY ONE the MC loves will become a weakness after becoming a vamp? Like his mom, female friend, all his vampire friends, etc?
Regarding the Kiku thing, so mahiro was considered something from his old life as she knew him from back then and got upgraded to love now and so became a weakness?

This sounds like it's gonna open itself to so many plot holes. I suppose that when becoming paralyzed their regenerative powers stop working and are unable to heal what the sun burns

I think i know why they both died , the simple reasoning is that the sun came up and Mahiru might've become a vampire , so they both died due to sunlight

but thats just a theory

Double-page supporter
Sad and all, but now that this mess is done can i get the manga i loved back?
I can still see traces of it, but nothing beats the vibe of the earlier chapters, the introspective talks on human nature but at the same time a cool and relaxed mood, smashing biuldings and drama used to work but it's not what made this manga special, this whole arc just feels all the more pointless since nobody got what they wanted or learned, kiku never turned into a human, mahiru just fucking gave up on everything and died with the bitch even though we just repaired his friendships, and kou just sat and watched this happen bc i guess he forgot that he's the guy who sticks his nose in other peoples businesses, none of the other characters matter anymore, just a half baked long ass arc about two garbage human beings that have the personality of two spoiled bananas

Last edited:
Kind of a trash arc, author trying to make us like Kiku, tbh I‘m glad she died and as for Mahiru, it doesn’t bother me that he’s gone either.

Dex-chan lover
Here's the thing tho, wouldn't that mean that EVERY ONE the MC loves will become a weakness after becoming a vamp? Like his mom, female friend, all his vampire friends, etc?
Regarding the Kiku thing, so mahiro was considered something from his old life as she knew him from back then and got upgraded to love now and so became a weakness?

This sounds like it's gonna open itself to so many plot holes. I suppose that when becoming paralyzed their regenerative powers stop working and are unable to heal what the sun burns
MC has love problems which is one theory why he's not a vampire yet.
Lots of platonic love at best and little to no romantic love.

So far love is integral to the whole vampire process, both their spawning and death.

Both died because of the shared memory? 🤔
As a reminder, in earlier chapters, they explicitly said that if the vampire falls in love, their bite toward their lover will be deadly.

And the only way for a vampire to die as a human is to fall in love, which they by instinct are not supposed to.

So the bite of a vampire in love is deadly on both sides. But it’s not entirely a bad thing, is it?

Kiku didn't deserve such a tranquil death, she should have suffered much more given all the mayhem she has caused. But I guess no one cares about revenge, so everything is okay! And while everything's resolved, everything also feels somewhat pointless. I can get why people are disappointed.

On the other hand, I can't just seem to care what their cause of death is. Could be a number of reasons, but the writing just fails to evoke any interest about the specifics from me

Dex-chan lover
I think the problem with this story going forwards is that the rules are kinda unclear

And vampires like all monsters need rules to govern them (I mean like, the good ones)
Also this song is perfect for this chapter

Dex-chan lover
This chapter didn't need to hit like a school bus with a carbon fiber frame and a 5L V12 without a speed governor getting checked for top speed at the Nurburgring

she died due to lack of blood and sun with a hint of a past memory in him as a child which she either learned on bite or knew all along... hence the "she cant do it".

he died due to a human memory in her and not wanting to live on without her.

Dex-chan lover
A lot of readers were just here for the slice of life, didn't care nor have the emotional intelligence to absorb the heavier social commentary.
Ah yes, the deep social commentary about a woman being alive for 500+ years constantly starting relationships so she can die but always failing. Turns out she just needed to hang out a few weeks with a underage boy with mommy issues to find that love.

Sure need a lot of emotional intelligence for this crap, bet you also are one of the few who are smart enough to truly understand and enjoy Rick and Morty :lul:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
She got what she asked for I guess, dying with love.
I was hyped when they first introduced Kiku so elegantly but the progression to get her and then ending it with this.... It felt kinda flat or wobbly for me the whole time. Although, it is good to see some development for the childhood friends, but I don't think he should be dismissed WITH KIKU.

Users who are viewing this thread