Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 183 - When Summer Comes

Dex-chan lover
I'm supposing the mirrors in cameras in this setting aren't silver-backed, and Kou isn't just going to be taking photos with a woman that'll show up as invisible, meaning that-- supposing Nazuna turns him into a vampire-- he won't have anything to remember her by.

The opening and closing internal monologues of Chapter 1 might be from an amnesiac (and thus vampirized) Kou who doesn't realize-- initially or otherwise-- that the saying is one that Nazuna said. In other words, this entire manga has all potentially been an extended flashback the likes of How I Met Your Mother. That would mean that both the Viz adaptation and Tonikaku scanlation represented the internal monologues that start and end that chapter slightly inaccurately but in a way that obscures that foreshadowing.

Viz misrepresented what Tonikaku correctly translated as "Someone said human blood tastes best at night."/「誰かが言った人の血は夜が一番美味いと。」, since Viz rendered it as "They say human blood tastes best at night." (obscuring that a specific person said the line, as opposed to it being a general saying among some group of people). On the flipside, Tonikaku mistranslated what Viz adequately represented as "Thus spake the vampire."/「吸血鬼はそう言った。」 as Tonikaku rendered it as "The vampire said." (obscuring that this is an attribution to the preceding statement-- the "someone" is "a vampire", in other words).

Chapter 13 also closes with a chapter-ending internal monologue of a similar narrative flavor: Tonikaku translates it correctly, but Viz screws up in translating the verb tense of「その様々な感情の行き着く先が「恋」だといいなと僕は思った。」/"'It would be good if the destination of those various feelings was 'love'.', I thought.". Instead, it's recast as "I hope all those emotions will eventually lead to love." (that is, it changes the verb tense from "past" to "present", and transforms this from a "thought" to a "hope").

Chapter 104, as well, has a chapter-ending internal closing monologue of a similar type... and both Viz and Tonikaku seemingly obscure how much of a red flag this one was-- not just in terms of the general narrative, but even in the Kiku arc itself. It reads: 「それからマヒル君には最期の時まで会えなかった。」/"After that, I couldn't meet Mahiru-kun until the time of the last moment." or perhaps (since a subject is not explicitly indicated*) "After that, it wasn't possible to meet Mahiru-kun until the time of the last moment."

I'm rendering 最期 as "last moment", but it is very unambiguously "moment of death"-- that is, we're all but told right then that someone was going to die at the end of this.

Tonikaku only rendered 最期 as "the end", and Viz... Lord have mercy, they actually rendered the whole statement as "Will I ever see my friend Mahiru again?" An entirely different sentence. Not even the same grammatical mood.

But, hey. If I'm right, then that means that there's a chance the story won't end in tragedy... though, it might just mean that any moment where you get a monologue with a weird verb tense is a monologue attached to a memory that's most vivid to this potentially amnesiac Kou, and I don't think there's been a lot of these so far.

*That is, Kou talks about how Mahiru wasn't able to be met with but he doesn't specify that it was him (Kou) or any other person/people that couldn't meet with Mahiru-- it's a statement about Mahiru's un-meet-ability after his and Kou's falling out until the time of someone's final moments.

I've been extremely slowly working my way through comparing volume 1 between the Tonikaku scanlation, the Viz adaptation, the French translation, and the Japanese raws in order to make a judgment on whether I should introduce this manga to my physical collection in French rather than English. Having yet to finish chapter 1, my impression is thus:

I should have expected that all translations take some liberties. Of course they would. Even this scanlation does, though never anywhere close to... whatever the hell Viz is doing. The French translation does this, too, but often seemingly in a way that doesn't readily warp the essential meaning of a statement (for example, the French translation correctly renders both 「誰かが言った人の血は夜が一番美味いと。」 and 「吸血鬼はそう言った。」). This isn't 100% the case (see below), but it may fare better since there's just one person responsible for translation, unlike Viz who tasked someone with translation and another with "adaptation".

Another example: all translations (that I've surveyed) mute Kou's irritation with Micchan (where he says 「おめーは誰なんだよ/うるせーよ/ブス殺すよ。」, or "Who are you?/Shut up./I'll kill you, ugly."-- he's thinking in a pretty hostile register). Tonikaku retains that he's at least thinking of hurting her ("And who're you?"/"Zip it, ugly, I'll beat you senseless."). The corporate French translation retains some hostility while obscuring that Kou means her harm in the moment ("T'es qui, toi?/"En quoi ça te regarde, boudin?", translated "Who are you?/What does that have to do with you, ugly?").**

The Viz translation renders the above as "Who the hell is this girl?/"I wish she'd just go away already.", which retains the particular hostility of「おめーは誰なんだよ」while obfuscating Kou's desire to harm her in a way that arguably makes him sound more passive than any of the other translations.*** It's also the sole translation surveyed that goes the extra step of muting Kou thinking that he hates women: he thinks,「だから女は嫌いなんだよ。」/ "This is why I hate women." or perhaps "It's because of this that I hate women.". The French translator renders this as "C'est pour ça que je déteste les filles."/"This is why I hate girls."), in agreement with Tonikaku. But Viz bafflingly adapts this as "Girls don't make sense.")

I must reiterate: I research Japanese more than I know it. That said, the more times I do posts like these, the more I'm tempted to do a narrative/thematic analysis of this work while cooking my brain comparing translations/adaptations with the raws. Everything I discussed matters, I'm convinced-- the relevance of some things may not be apparent at the time because they're purposely out of context, but in other cases, it should be apparent. The Kou that's so annoyed by Micchan that he's even merely thinking-- and in a kind of thuggish manner of speaking-- that he wants to kill her, before remarking on his hatred/annoyance of women, is different from the Kou that thinks of that same hatred/annoyance but merely thinks with agitation about why Micchan thinks she's relevant to what she's angry about.

And both of those Kous are in a different universe from the one that just thinks "go away, already" while being bewildered by women.****

Like, this is a fair amount of information loss in regards to the initial state of the protagonist, but then there's the egregiously obfuscating and even actively alterative nonsense Viz has published for recent chapters and has probably always published since they picked this up.

**The French scanlation by Reverscan (who don't seem to have chapters 1-29 on here) might just be a translation of the English non-corporate scanlation, because their translation of the phrases in question are 1:1 with Tonikaku's).

***This is on top of completely altering what he actually thought. It's at least relevant, because, when they meet again in chapter 135, he really does call Sacchan and Micchan ugly (「浅倉さん…このブス共が「悪い子じゃない」って?」; Tonikaku renders the bolded as "ugly hoes" but it's only as much as "ugly people" or "uglies" by itself-- though, it's not glaring , it's funny, and it fits the vulgar register Kou's clearly taking up here). Kou thinking these girls are ugly is a persistent opinion he has. This is a very importan-- okay, I'll stop messing around. I mentioned this largely because it was funny, but I maintain that it is relevant.

**** Aye, he's closer to the Kou in the anime, where this segment of monologue is altered to 「うるせーよブス。だから女嫌いなんて」/"Shut up, ugly. This is why I hate women." No murderous urges.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"Even an idiot like me can figure it out", after saying this, we see that Kou clearly didn't figure it out! lol~
Ps. i was really hoping for a bit of ecchi when i read that it was Christmas. Isn't Christmas in Japan, like, when people eat cake and have sex? lol~:huh:
Wait... is that just during Christmas? :\

Coming back to "I have figured it out" and the following question, I think it is easy to misread it because there is a part of his internal monologue which is "I think I have figured it out" followed by the question. It could be read as: "I think I have figured out 'why nazuna isn't sucking my blood?' "
Or it can be read as you read it.
Or it can be read as "I think I have figured it out" (as in, I now know what's bothering me) "Why isn't nazuna sucking my blood?"

I thought people would have gotten used to the way this author writes the stories, to give you bits of hope when it is a wrench about to hit the spokes of your proverbial bicycle.

I think it is more the first option, because the way it is written and drawn is from Kou's point of view. He had in his mind the "spend more time with Nazuna", her reaction to the present and following wishes, and the going to the shrine. Remember when they met after a while one of the first things he thought was "you wouldn't fall for me, right?"
Maybe I am too hopeful.

Dex-chan lover
The way that the whole winter break moment was just narrated and how the time spend between Christmas and the New year was just a montage.
I was kind of worried that, it could have lead to a big time skip.

Dex-chan lover
I am afraid of what will comes next. The montage feels comfy and wholesome and give me peace. I can't help but think whatever author gave us would ruin me. Hold me bros :meguuusad:
My money is on nazuna disappearing when school break is over, and kou has to search for her. It takes him until summer to find her. Kou will go to the beach and meet up with her on the last day of the vamp count year, and she'll bite him as the sun is raising. Then she dies? And he turns into a vampire. And forgets she ever existed. Kou sees the picture he took together in a frame and doesn't recognize her face but tears stream down his eyes. Oyasumi pun pun style baby.

Anyone else looked up this author's other Manga? Apparently the ending was so shit the comment section looks like the aftermath of a fire

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You ever see a manga panel and just get stuck looking it over, taking in all the little details? That was me and that beach-night shot. Very lovely.

Dex-chan lover
Nazuna is gonna disappear and then when Kou develops the photos on his camera just for memories he's gonna notice that she doesn't show up on any of them because she's a vampire, calling it now

Dex-chan lover
Anyone else looked up this author's other Manga? Apparently the ending was so shit the comment section looks like the aftermath of a fire
A lot of the reactions seem to be the product of the scanlation of the ending chapter originally being uploaded here without the prior 30 chapters being scanlated and uploaded.

A lot of the rest of it has to do with... somewhat strange people who, for some reason, insist that hentai doujins produced an ending outclassing the canonical ending. I say "for some reason" partly because I just viewed the last couple chapters and the comment section for the last (I have yet to be able to get into Dagashi Kashi) so I truly don't know why they think that, but also partly because it's an intrinsically strange sentiment I'm confident has to do principally with some romance not being fully realized within the scope of the manga.

I also considered that this kind of sentiment-- that other random people can do the original work of someone else better-- has common roots with the mindset that leads to the creation of the infamous Netflix anime adaptations.

Truly, we get what we deserve.

At any rate, I wasn't expecting that kind of fire aftermath when you described the comment section as you did.

Also, since I'm not sure when I'm going to get another clear shot to mention this: based on the mangaka's self-depiction, I have the feeling that the "Hajime" in Dagashi Kashi, and this manga's Kyouko, are both meant to be some level of author avatar. Especially Hajime, for whom Kotoyama devoted a whole prequel oneshot to her (he character's) time as a dysfunctional mangaka.

...yes, my conjecture entirely hinges on the fact that all three depictions wear glasses.

Last edited:
mildly confused at this chapter, kinda feels like we skipped something in the story as the last we saw nazuna she said she was moving on lol

Dex-chan lover
The thing about Dagashi Kashi, is that it was a slice of manga with VERY slow progression, and it never actually gave the payoff people were expecting during the serialization. Like another user said, someone released the final chapter here way before the others maybe out of spite for the ending.

Dex-chan lover
I'm sensing that this series is nearing its end. I hate to see it go so I hope I'm wrong!

Dex-chan lover
"Even an idiot like me can figure it out", after saying this, we see that Kou clearly didn't figure it out! lol~
Ps. i was really hoping for a bit of ecchi when i read that it was Christmas. Isn't Christmas in Japan, like, when people eat cake and have sex? lol~:huh:

Yes, he didn't "figure it out", he just "noticed".

Users who are viewing this thread