Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 17 Ch. 164 - Curse

Dex-chan lover
Let's say she didn't charm mahiro, you think that seducing a teenager, goading him into leaving all his friends and family, all to help her commit suicide, isn't toxic behavior? Not to mention the trail of ruined lives and ruined lovers she left in her way. The detective's father, the teacher, everyone cleaned by face mask vampire, etc.

Kiku, a grown woman, seduced some depressed kid in highschool and made him help her kill herself after he fell in love with her. Kou and company shouldn't have backed off from fighting Kiku, she quite literally drove mahiro into suicide. And again, I can't stress this further, mahiro is just some kid who hadn't even finished highschool and who comes from an abusive household. He's a victim here and he was manipulated the whole way through.
Isn't that the same to what the "norm" is for vampires? The only reason she is being seen as a bad person by the other vampires is because she's leaving breadcrumbs that'll lead to humans discovering vampires.

As for Mahiru, need I remind you that neither Kou nor Akira managed to make Mahiru open up fully, at least not until Kiku got involved so if they actually went and fought Kiku to "save" Mahiru, that will just most definitely lead to Mahiru spiting Kou. As difficult as this may be to accept, sometimes letting go is the "better" option(which is kinda funny considering "letting go" is also the theme of Kotoyama's other one shot... might look into Dagashi Kashi if they also used that there).

Thanks for the chapter. A bittersweet ending to bittersweet lives. Kiku and Mahiru were two lonely souls who find solace in each other. But they were mentally broken, neither could save the other. And Kiku gave Mahiru a helping hand, but ultimately dragged him into his twisted form of love. And Mahiru was given an alternative, his friends would accept him and love him no matter what. But he couldn't let Kiku go. You can't always force someone to make the right decision, no matter what, it's up to them to decide how to live.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly bittersweet that it was Kiku to be the first one to reach a helping hand to Mahiru back then.

With this arc seemingly on it's end, I'm still confused why people still think Kiku is this evil schemer, when the person herself outright mentions they are pretty dumb and just tend to brute force things.

Lastly... neat, a nihilistic vampire and a nihilist human. Tragic and somewhat expected(anybody thinking Mahiru would get out of this alive have to share their happy juice)... Really brought me back to my college days when I was thrusted into the position of trying to help a fairly decent amount of broken people... Wasn't the best days of my life mentally and emotionally.
Tbh i expected kou and the gang to use talk no jutsu to convince both of them to join their team as that's what happen to previous antagonists. Personally i like the ending of this arc more than the ending for the detective because it gives off the feeling that something bad actually happens.

Dex-chan lover
From my understanding, the confirmed theory is that by drinking a loved one's blood, a vampire will die (regardless of whenever they turn human or not since it's not clear), and I presume in the last pannel of the last chapter, Mahiru, right after turning into a vampire, bited Kiku back, so that would explain how they both died here.
(Of course this is all just speculation since we Mahiru's mouth is hidden behind the hug)

And since I'm at it, if drinking a loved's blood will kill the vampire, my theory on why is that, as a vampire weakness is an important object from their times as humans, a human weakness would be an important object from their times as a vampire, aka the blood they just drank; but this would conflict with my previous theory since Kiku would be turned back into a vampire after being bitten.
I think that mahiru died because his important thing is Kiku, and as he was holding onto her while in the sun it must have caused him to die, not because of him biting her (just like how the detective would kill vampires by weakening them then putting them into the sun)
It was also implied that Kiku was already nearing the end of her life since her regeneration was slowed (ch163?) so drinking his blood must be what turned her into ash

Dex-chan lover
Let's say she didn't charm mahiro, you think that seducing a teenager, goading him into leaving all his friends and family, all to help her commit suicide, isn't toxic behavior? Not to mention the trail of ruined lives and ruined lovers she left in her way. The detective's father, the teacher, everyone cleaned by face mask vampire, etc.

Kiku, a grown woman, seduced some depressed kid in highschool and made him help her kill herself after he fell in love with her. Kou and company shouldn't have backed off from fighting Kiku, she quite literally drove mahiro into suicide. And again, I can't stress this further, mahiro is just some kid who hadn't even finished highschool and who comes from an abusive household. He's a victim here and he was manipulated the whole way through.
High school? they haven't finished m i d d l e school yet. And to find out she's had her eye on him since he was like 8??? I can't think of a worse, more boring, more lazy, more fucked up way for this arc to end than them both dying together. Even if makes sense in-universe, it's a disappointing and kind of infuriating story. I was holding out so much hope for something better than this.

Double-page supporter
I think that mahiru died because his important thing is Kiku, and as he was holding onto her while in the sun it must have caused him to die, not because of him biting her (just like how the detective would kill vampires by weakening them then putting them into the sun)
It was also implied that Kiku was already nearing the end of her life since her regeneration was slowed (ch163?) so drinking his blood must be what turned her into ash
Might be, wanted to check all theories on vampire's death, but there were too many chapters

i think he died because he was holding a dear thing from his human life(kiku) and was exposed to sunlight

Aggregator gang
Personally I disagree with most people here. This arc was very well written and was the author trying to go deeper into his story and writing. I mean it started as a romcom and became an awesome action. Now he's shown he can really really do emotions too (Not that he wasn't before, but it picked up a lot in this arc). I personally liked it and thought it was really sad.

Dex-chan lover
That makes sense, we've seen Kyouko kill two vampires that way. What worries me is the implications for Kou and Nazuna since Nazuna seems to be developing feelings for Kou.

Dex-chan lover
I did not care for either of these characters that perished just now. I'm more or less indifferent on Kiku, but Miharu can go straight to hell. I hate the sasuke trope. If your "friend" kicks the shit out of you and leaves, it's over, forget them.

Great chapter. A fit end, to both of them. When someone makes their own decision, sometimes, just accept it. Don't try to live their lives and tell them what to do. It's dumb and wasted.
Also, vamps are vamps, they eat, and don't think just because it's someone close to you would make any different.

Aggregator gang
Jeeez. I really thought this will eventually ends up happy. Never expected they are both dying. Surprizingly dark. At least, we won't see the psychobitch again.

Users who are viewing this thread