Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 19 Ch. 188 - Lukewarm

Dex-chan lover
The author every chapter be like 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🖊️🖊️🖊️🔥🔥🔥🔥
Young_Thug_-_Hot_ft._Gunna___Travis_Scott__Official_Music_Video__0-29_screenshot.png

Dex-chan lover
at this rate seggs seems like it'll be hard for nazuna since she might just accidentally suck him during it so... rip kou. forever blue balled or lose his lover after sex. a true tragedy

Dex-chan lover
So does it still count if he serves up a cup of blood? Kinda freaky if someone drinks your blood bag and you burn up out of nowhere during the day.

Shit

Is that what spontaneous human combustion is?

Dex-chan lover
Can't she just suck some drunk rando's on the street like she used to? or get blood from someone else? Start a blood gofundme Nazuna chan or something?

At this point Nazuna sucking off some random guy in the street for blood would feel too much like cheating on Kou.
I hope this doesn't lead to a NTR arc or some other trouble in their finally blooming relationship.

Dex-chan lover
Nazuna doesn't want to suck the blood of some random drunk. She wants desperately to suck the blood of Kō.

Dex-chan lover
Heads up-- missing the "A" in "Asakura" in the last panel of p.8.

In the 10+ years I've been reading manga, this is only the second time where I've scrambled to read a new scan of a manga I'm current with.

That's such a beautiful, accurate description of what it's like to be in love.
I don't think it's inaccurate (it at least tracks with my own meager experience though I'm averse to the term "fall in love", but that's neither here nor there), but-- more than anything-- it's a very "Kou" way of conceiving of the matter. The reincorporation of events and dialogue from throughout the earlier parts of the story further aids that impression.

Going back to the symbolism of the vending machine and choice, I think it's interesting how it was blacked out at first, sort of like decision paralysis. But then when it came back on and Kou made his choice, the consequence of that paralysis was unsatisfying to him. I wonder what that means.
Me, I'm still trying to figure out a satisfying meaning for the vending machine motif in the first place.

With your interpretation, one would have to consider-- in this chapter-- that 1) he got coffee from it, and 2) Nazuna also got beer that was lukewarm, and was similarly dissatisfied. Normally, every time Kou's actually tried to get something from a vending machine, it was alcoholic-- though, his purchase was either interrupted, or he didn't get the alcohol he purchased for his own sake.

A little disappointed that is already set the idea he will not become a vampire, I still had hope. Even though anyone and their mother could tell from the beginning they would pull some sort of "being human is cool too!". I still had hope that something different could happen in this of setup for once.
Nazuna's long since said that being a vampire is boring (ch. 42, p.14). And then, on multiple occasions, we learned more of how much being a vampire actually sucks massive balls-- sun allergy aside, you forget your old life progressively, your cherished possessions become the means to kill you, and abstaining from blood turns you into a dangerous mess before you die from blood deprivation (if you manage for a decade straight).

So the ending in this one is different from the official, the official she says blood, blood, i need blood. Not suck suck suck. Either way thanks for the translation for the ppl that cant get the viz account.
it's not supposed to be suck lol its supposed to be blood they translated it wrong.
The source I use for raws hasn't uploaded this chapter, yet, and the official source for the Japanese is only current up to last chapter. That said, the Viz adaptation has major issues (in short: the adaptationist-- and likely not the translator-- frequently takes massive liberties that radically alter the dialogue at hand, in ways that can't be excused with the difficulty of translating Japanese-- I've went through this in past chapters), and while the translator /a/non behind this translation has at times taken liberties of their own (that's an inevitability, but there's been one instance where I suspected the Viz translation was the more accurate), I tend to overall trust them more since the translator /a/non has explained themselves one more time than the zero times the adaptationist explained her process for doing any of the absolutely baffling things she's managed so far.

That may be unfair to the translator /a/non, but this is my first time discovering (by mostly my own research) that a foreign property I like is being translated in such an inscrutably dubious way by unaccountable parties who charge you money for their work and parade themselves as the "legitimate" option-- it's hit me in a tender spot.

POST LAUNCH CODES

You know what's funny?

All three of the manga in my top tier are ones whose characters I can't imagine sexually without shriveling up like I just watched a war documentary. Though, in only one of them did the mangaka go out of his way to include absolutely zero (female, erotic) fanservice.

Nazuna doesn't want to suck the blood of some random drunk. She wants desperately to suck the blood of Kō.
And she apparently doesn't want to drink another person's blood, period-- she never did, after she started drinking Kou's blood.

So blood bags are out.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So the ending in this one is different from the official, the official she says blood, blood, i need blood. Not suck suck suck. Either way thanks for the translation for the ppl that cant get the viz account.
In terms of vocab, Viz is wrong. Please don't say the translator has "translated it wrong" when you haven't read the JP.
The raw says 吸いたい, which is literally, "I want to suck." This translator is much more accurate.
"Suck" in Japanese doesn't have any 'dirty' connotations though, so I can understand Viz, especially after reading this comment section. The word bubble is also admittedly very small.
"Blood" is an okay translation, but it implies Nazuna needs 'blood' general. In reality the situation is she wants to suck Kou's blood in particular. A comment here suggested that Nazuna needs to get blood from other sources, and she has (remember she bought blood from glasses vamp?) But that will not solve this problem.

The thematic through-line is: Kou realizes his overflowing, out-of-control feelings and remarks (paraphrased), "It's amazing that anyone can live like this, while enduring it." Here we see Nazuna experiencing the same thing - the joy, anxiety, embarrassment... and desire, expressed in wanting to drink Kou's blood specifically. Can she live while enduring it? --- the stakes made higher by, if she doesn't endure it she may die.

If we wanted to avoid the 'suck' language, another option might have been, "I want to drink," or "I want his blood."

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
With your interpretation, one would have to consider-- in this chapter-- that 1) he got coffee from it, and 2) Nazuna also got beer that was lukewarm, and was similarly dissatisfied. Normally, every time Kou's actually tried to get something from a vending machine, it was alcoholic-- though, his purchase was either interrupted, or he didn't get the alcohol he purchased for his own sake.
I haven't followed the discussion of this very closely, but isn't that dissatisfaction the point? Here, neither get what they want. They do get coffee and alcohol, which are their choices, but both are neither as good as they hoped. Lukewarm, as you said, or maybe half-hearted. Kou cannot be Nazuna's 'kin,' may not be able to spend eternity with her. Nazuna cannot have Kou's blood. Neither can express their love in the full manner they desire, and both are unsatisfied with the current situation...

The source I use for raws hasn't uploaded this chapter, yet, and the official source for the Japanese is only current up to last chapter.
I read the Raw and Viz is wrong, though understandable in this case, with how 'dirty' "suck" can be understood (see this comment section...). See my comment just a little above for my quick thoughts.

Like you though, I'm absolutely frustrated at how they translate some of these manga. Anime also. Why is there so little respect for the source material? Why do they take so many liberties with someone else's work? Why can't they understand the author's intentions or the nuance of the Japanese? Metaphorically, "sucks so much."

Users who are viewing this thread