Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 20 Ch. 198 - Winter Nights Are Long

Dex-chan lover
Also, can we talk about the elephant in the room? This whole thing about Nazuna dying if she sucks Kou was assumed from the consequences of kiku and mahiru's thing. But that was anything but clear, both of them stayed in the sun until they were evaporated. It is very well possible that mahiru transformed into a vampire and kiku didn't suffer any changes, and both of them died to the sun. Without this having anything to do with love. So why the fuck was everyone so sure that a vampire loving a human and sucking their blood would kill them? If this doesn't get addressed, and it likely won't, it'll be a huge plot hole leading to a totally unconvincing ending. Kou and Nazuna definitely could be together.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
Yeah, but not with their first love, heck maybe even second or third. Love is a journey through the entire life, like how many people do you know that married their first love, let alone someone they know in school?
i believe. if my parents can do it, they can too

Dex-chan lover
I can attempt to grope for an understanding of how this story's going to go (for the second time, not that I'm dissatisfied with that analysis) with two chapters to go, or I can consider that Kou explicitly drew attention to his vampire shifter state (ch. 188, p.10), Nazuna will still be half-human by heritage, and-- as strange as it'd be for an author to not answer ambiguities-- it'd be baffling for the same author to not answer ambiguities prompted by details they themselves drew attention to.

You know what this reminds me of, Kou got confessed to by his classmate and he rejected her, then her friends go on about telling him how she muster the courage to confess. Now Kou can't even say goodbye to Nazouna and he says to himself "Is this how love feels" now you know Kou.
He already came to completely empathize with Asakura after his and Nazuna's mutual confession (ch. 188, p.8).

So even if it makes sense from a narrative standpoint for Ko and Nazuna to not get together, and it completes his character arc, people will still get angry because they wanted, like all romance manga, for him to marry her within the first five volumes and then have 150 pages of sweaty onscreen sex
Look, I'm not saying that I would have enjoyed Kou showing Nazuna that men are men and women are women even if the woman in question is a semi-ethereal 30 year old vampire...

HOWEVER.

Dex-chan lover
If they do a fucking timeskip I'm not buying a single volume. They ain't getting a dime from me. This motherfucker can't pull the same fucking shit ending twice. And the detective wondering if kou was a monster or a human, his half vampirism, everything they shoved it up their asses apparently. That went nowhere. I wonder if this got axed

Dex-chan lover
Think about this: if this ass face pulls another Dagashi Kashi timeskip and then meet up again, this will mean nazuna doesn't love kou anymore and she's over him. And he's friendzoned for ever. Hell, if that isn't disgusting enough already, what would stop her from falling for him again? It's just not sustainable. And kou will what, be married to the chick with big tits? I swear to God I'm boycotting this author if he gets away with Dagashi Kashi twice. I saw this coming and I'm still livid. I even looked at the comments in the Korean raws and everyone's pissed there too

Dex-chan lover
If they do a fucking timeskip I'm not buying a single volume. They ain't getting a dime from me.
You shouldn't be giving a dime to Viz for their adaptation of this manga, in the first place-- its adaptationist made the script a weird mess. As far as I can tell, it's not as bad as what Seven Seas has been caught doing (or what Viz has been caught doing in the distant past with their redraws), but it doesn't take a fluent Japanese speaker to figure out when you're turning statements into questions, turning past tense into present tense, and supplanting perfectly translatable jokes in ways that skew character impressions and the values of scenes.

I wonder if this got axed
It won an award by the publisher responsible for its publication last year.

Nah, Kotoyama's deliberately plotting... something.

Dex-chan lover
It won an award by the publisher responsible for its publication last year.

Nah, Kotoyama's deliberately plotting... something.
I hope he is, but I have zero trust in kotoyama. Also many series get great reviews and awards yet still get axed. According to Bakuman an author isn't even allowed to end a Manga that's doing well

Dex-chan lover
i believe. if my parents can do it, they can too
Ehh your parent can do it, sure, but how many couple are like your parents? Heck, even in your neighborhood, how many couples are first love? It can happen, sure, but it's incredibly rare

lmao chill down man. Not all first love ended with them staying together, in fact most don't. This could simply be a first love type of story. Like from 10 chapters ago we all like 99% sure it is gonna be a sad ending anyway
10 chapters ago was 1 chapter after she fall into him literally while all the time was almost there but didnt know how to love. it isnt was supposed to be another tearful ending. abt 1st love we can say everything yknow. and yes as u asked abt hating someone who broke u everything its only natural. in the same time i'd say its many who approved vice versa theyre obsessed with 1st love even in other relationships and they'd return after years and there's many stories abt cheating with exes. so we only have that someone on top of mountain(experienced happy first love or even if broke up had returned partner what's not uncommon) and some who will be considered by society as pathetic loser(there we got Kou in this moment, who literally wouldn't just back to school after leaving it for her) if no one wouldn't lie(partner leaves as Nazuna who solo decided to brake up to only start drink others blood lol literally or if he have been betrayed in favor of ex). from ur talking seem to u have survivor's syndrome(1st case with on top) or considering 1th love = 100th love. i can't think abt love as changing gauntlets coldblooded until u find "right" bc of becoming alone and betrayed so i don't want to hop in or think anymore abt love story as if it's not going to grave or i'll just be folded to one of those and u pretty annoying like with mockery allmightiness with ur overpowering everything mindset to someone deeply burned by this theme.

I understand people want to use media as an escape, but artists are entitled to the story that they want to tell. I am perfectly fine with this kind of ending and I still believe that it will be a good ending.

I like the fact that these bittersweet endings are more acceptable in mainstream Japanese media. Your Name would have been the ultimate masterpiece if Makoto Shinkai wasn't forced to deviate from the original ending where the main characters didn't recognize each other.
yall with this position truly masochists, bc im only feeling hatred and numb as when was betrayed not Kou but me

With what I said here, I just think that the whole manga is just teaching and telling Kou how others feel about him and making him learn and feel it himself like, happiness through friendship, love and jealousy, trusts and betrayal. Now that he knows this, the manga is ending but we the readers are just left unsatisfied and I got nothing else to say.
lol, bro must have not steel but titanium balls to at least wake up if it would be only realisticaly for 1%, certainly no speach abt returning to school, continuing "normal" life, rejecting his best moments and embracing new reality where's no even Mahiro to copy anymore but broken heart when everything piece of resulting shit only multiplies on young mentality. there's literally would have been more sense and ur favourite realism as when u talking abt bitter 1st love like of a rule if there would be already even until manga ends his commited suicide instead of so easy him agreeding with everything in train and furthermore ridiculous shit as returning in school and becoming gray mass again for traumatised blazing and emotional brain of teen.

While you are correct, the issue is that years of crappy Heisei-era romcoms which went on for 300+ chapters with no good resolution have rotted the brain of the average MangaDex user

If the main character doesn’t get with the main girl in the end, it’s shit. If the main character rejects a girl’s advances and she finds another guy, it’s shit. If the main character rejects a girl’s advances and she doesn’t find another guy, it’s still shit.

Nisekoi and Rent-A-Girlfriend and Quintessential Quintuplets and whatnot have basically drilled into our heads that if a girl likes a guy or a guy likes a girl and their love isn’t reciprocated, it’s garbage. So even if it makes sense from a narrative standpoint for Ko and Nazuna to not get together, and it completes his character arc, people will still get angry because they wanted, like all romance manga, for him to marry her within the first five volumes and then have 150 pages of sweaty onscreen sex
i dont even know ur titles, but u assuming i have all my best in life so why would i be so bothered with not-couple endng. how tf there's good endng in for example fucking tokyo ghoul but not between two virgin asocial idiots who have nothing in live but each other just bc maybe i need to remind yall her reason was to start drink others blood and dont accidentally bite him, why would she if she can drink others blood in relationship, why would being fed vampire lose control and bite beloved person if only starved one would do it? why yall passed her words as if it isnt nonsense at all? and yes, pg-13 and masochistc kotoyama ruined many things there, not even asking ur sweaty onscreen sex which would complete this title fully and u could breathe a sigh of relief that at least somewhere everything not fucking shit that u hate deeply abt life

it feels like a fools errand to wish for the impossible and I think I'm fine with them not being together. at least let us know they're still happy without each other.
uh, yeah, yep, having their most happy times, bro. no fucking way they would be. not one.

Without a doubt, it has all been a learning journey for Kou. At the moment it seems something like “Oh, Kou learned what it means to love, what it means to have people you care about, to have friends, and who you care about a lot, and now he also discovered the pain that that entails, but it's okay because he learned and we can relate. And we all learn this way, because that's what it feels like to become an adult, so you always have to look at the journey before the destination. Now Kou knows how to feel and what it means, and we are all grieving just like the two of them because, again, we can relate. And also we all went through the hellhole of growing up.” That is, Kotoyama introduced the complexity and tragedy of the human condition to Kou, and to us in the process, but that's okay, because in having such mixed and dissimilar feelings about this approaching end, we too have been part of the experience of the human condition, through our relationship with art and in forming part of a collective artistic process with us as readers. We must be grateful to be able to be part of a space like this and to have experienced an artistic work that makes us ask ourselves these questions and hold these difficult discussions, and that have no apparent answer because they have also bothered thinkers, intellectuals, and philosophers for ages. Questions about love, about growing up and coming of age, about duty, and what is to be done in situations like the one we've seen in this chapter? Persist or let go? Is it even possible to persist in a scenario like this? Can love conquer all? What is valuable about loving as a human experience? And so many others. We'll see what Kotoyama has in store for us, it's been a pleasure sharing this with everyone.
idk how yall can be satisfied while to me kotoyama only poked around in my chest with an once implaed knife of betraying irl.

Users who are viewing this thread