Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 198 - Winter Nights Are Long

Group Leader
You know what this reminds me of, Kou got confessed to by his classmate and he rejected her, then her friends go on about telling him how she muster the courage to confess. Now Kou can't even say goodbye to Nazouna and he says to himself "Is this how love feels" now you know Kou.

Y'all bring the bitter and I'll bring the sweet: this is a pretty perfect description of what a high-school first love feels like. 99% of the time, y'all won't end up with each other -- puppy love starts all pure and uncalculated but then the future and grown-up stuff get in the way. And so, you either cling on to something doomed to fail catastrophically, or you can end it on a high note. Better feeling bittersweet for a while than feeling completely miserable when everything eventually crumbles to dust.

Also, just think of this as a more literal spin on the vampire curse: easy to make others fall in love with you, but can never experience love themselves (otherwise you die 🙂).

Dex-chan lover
I guess part of your theory was right @Eighty-six the whole manga is just him telling a story, the only part thats wrong is the "he turned into a vampire", which I think is not happening (probably). But yeah, probable timeskip right ahead.
I am also not mad if they don't end up together... She's his first love, how many of those do you know that actually did work out?

Group Leader
You know what this reminds me of, Kou got confessed to by his classmate and he rejected her, then her friends go on about telling him how she muster the courage to confess. Now Kou can't even say goodbye to Nazouna and he says to himself "Is this how love feels" now you know Kou.
With what I said here, I just think that the whole manga is just teaching and telling Kou how others feel about him and making him learn and feel it himself like, happiness through friendship, love and jealousy, trusts and betrayal. Now that he knows this, the manga is ending but we the readers are just left unsatisfied and I got nothing else to say.

Double-page supporter
I really don't know WHAT kind of ending I am/was expecting, but it sounds like a disappointment is coming. All that build-up, the whole vampire world and their fights and now even if it ends with Kou becoming a kin, being human and meeting Nazuna again or whatsoever, it's going to feel like a boring ending.

Dex-chan lover
Oh look, it's the author of dagashi kashi, writing dagashi kashi again.
Here's your fucking ending. Flash forward a year and kou is doing well in school. He decides to go hangout at night by himself and reaches the booze machine from chapter 1. Nazuna comes out of no where with "yo shounen". Roll credits.

If it doesn't end like that I'll eat my own farts.
Yeah, absolutely
BUT to tell the truth, even if the ending is dagashi kashi style it wont be as bad as dagashi kashi because that manga was just all over the place from the beginning.
We actually have a story here with narrative elements, motifs and shit... And that makes this kind of ending fit, kinda.

Oh look, it's the author of dagashi kashi, writing dagashi kashi again.
Here's your fucking ending. Flash forward a year and kou is doing well in school. He decides to go hangout at night by himself and reaches the booze machine from chapter 1. Nazuna comes out of no where with "yo shounen". Roll credits.

If it doesn't end like that I'll eat my own farts.
Oh man xD i can see it now and i don't like that...

Contributor
Y'all bring the bitter and I'll bring the sweet: this is a pretty perfect description of what a high-school first love feels like. 99% of the time, y'all won't end up with each other -- puppy love starts all pure and uncalculated but then the future and grown-up stuff get in the way. And so, you either cling on to something doomed to fail catastrophically, or you can end it on a high note. Better feeling bittersweet for a while than feeling completely miserable when everything eventually crumbles to dust.

While you are correct, the issue is that years of crappy Heisei-era romcoms which went on for 300+ chapters with no good resolution have rotted the brain of the average MangaDex user

If the main character doesn’t get with the main girl in the end, it’s shit. If the main character rejects a girl’s advances and she finds another guy, it’s shit. If the main character rejects a girl’s advances and she doesn’t find another guy, it’s still shit.

Nisekoi and Rent-A-Girlfriend and Quintessential Quintuplets and whatnot have basically drilled into our heads that if a girl likes a guy or a guy likes a girl and their love isn’t reciprocated, it’s garbage. So even if it makes sense from a narrative standpoint for Ko and Nazuna to not get together, and it completes his character arc, people will still get angry because they wanted, like all romance manga, for him to marry her within the first five volumes and then have 150 pages of sweaty onscreen sex

it feels like a fools errand to wish for the impossible and I think I'm fine with them not being together. at least let us know they're still happy without each other.

Dex-chan lover
If the story ends like this it'll be all a gigantic waste of time. Stuff happened and the story would've ended the exact same way it started, with both of them apart and living their boring lives without each other. Sure, they'd be grown up and changed and blablabla, but who the hell even wants that?

Without a doubt, it has all been a learning journey for Kou. At the moment it seems something like “Oh, Kou learned what it means to love, what it means to have people you care about, to have friends, and people who you care about a lot, and now he also discovered the pain that that entails, not in an edgy sense of "pain" but in the recognition of the fact that sometimes painful things happen, that we hurt others and others can hurt us. This is the dilemma of human relationships and that that makes them so risky but also extraordinary, they inspire us to give everything, to create, to live. But it's okay because he learned and we can relate. And we all learn this way, because that's what it feels like to become an adult, so you always have to look at the journey instead of the destination. Now Kou knows how to feel and what it means, and we are all grieving just like the two of them because, again, we can relate. And also we all went through the hellhole of growing up.” That is, Kotoyama introduced the complexity and tragedy of the human condition and the complexity of human interaction and its relationships to Kou, and to us in the process, but that's okay, because in having such mixed and dissimilar feelings about this approaching end, we too have been part of the experience of the human condition, through our relationship with art and in forming part of a collective artistic process with us as readers. We must be grateful to be able to be part of a space like this and to have experienced an artistic work that makes us ask ourselves these questions and hold these difficult discussions, and that have no apparent answer because they have also bothered thinkers, intellectuals, and philosophers for ages. Questions about love, about growing up and coming of age, about duty, and what is to be done in situations like the one we've seen in this chapter? Persist or let go? Is it even possible to persist in a scenario like this? Can love conquer all? What is valuable about loving as a human experience? And so many others. We'll see what Kotoyama has in store for us, it's been a pleasure sharing this with everyone.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
I hope they do something decent with the last couple of chapters here, because otherwise it seems like this whole long manga has culminated in the message of "Hey It's fine to have fun and maybe even fall in love with something outside the norm, but you need to move on and become normal. Abandon your passion and love, go back to school, get a job, and marry a traditional woman."
The dark truth lol

Users who are viewing this thread