Youjo Senki - Vol. 22 Ch. 63.5

Dex-chan lover
There's also stuffs that translate directly is 'correct' but you'd be missing out on the context.

One of the thing someone else corrected me on was 適当 (tekitou) which most translation will say it's suitable/fit/appropriate, like when MC has to think of a name for some pet.
What the person explain was that tekitou has an implication of...lack of serious thought to it? like "whatever, this'll do" sort of mindset.

Or when the author do a pun,
the pun is based on 引き連れて (take along) but on their separate bits 引き(pulling/dragging)連れて(taking along) to be literally someone being dragged along behind another via chain.

Not to mention when characters speak in unconventional way (children lisping being represented with full hiragana, or slurred words, robot speaking in full katakana, etc)

So yeah, it's not gonna be easy to get the correct translation even with such method.
The do say a perfect translation is nigh impossible, let alone leaving it to a MTL. But that's where localizations come into play. Nobody used to care about full rewrites on puns or whatever for reasons as long as translators say "so it sounds better in english".

Can't translate a bubble with "ははは" with characters laughing? Rewrite it to an english meme! Now the characters laughing looks natural. Plenty such cases before MTL became the new demon in town.

Fed-Kun's army
the vietnam translation already reach ch. 89 maybe i should learn tl and do vn-en for this :wtf:
I wouldn't recommend it, as a viet. They are inaccurate in a lot of places. I feel like the vn translator also used machine translation and just made stuff up in some cases, or change the dialogues.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
People are doing it for free, the alternative is either nothing at all, having chapters behind a paywall or a fuckton of ads or waiting for an aggregator to upload the official version when it exist, with said aggregator also being filled with ads.
Then I'd rather nothing.
It's fine if this works for YOU but it's fucking annoying.
Saying "it's free" doesn't negate an expectation of quality.
If I can't READ IT, it being FREE is the same as it nothing.
Even quality translation teams do this. I understand in most cases we're dealing with ESL or whatever, but it's not hard to find people to proof read this stuff.

Double-page supporter
The do say a perfect translation is nigh impossible, let alone leaving it to a MTL. But that's where localizations come into play. Nobody used to care about full rewrites on puns or whatever for reasons as long as translators say "so it sounds better in english".

Can't translate a bubble with "ははは" with characters laughing? Rewrite it to an english meme! Now the characters laughing looks natural. Plenty such cases before MTL became the new demon in town
We didn't used to care because we didn't know at first that it was occurring. As the internet became a thing and we understood we weren't getting the stories we paid for we got mad about it.
That's continued to be people's issues with it. Changing a foreign story for local mass media appeal defeats the purpose of watching it.
Sloppy localizations that turn stories into American drivel has always been derided and chided, unless it was specifically to turn it into a comedy or new work.
MTL Iis a useful tool that's just being misapplied here because the barrier of entry is so low.

Dex-chan lover
We didn't used to care because we didn't know at first that it was occurring. As the internet became a thing and we understood we weren't getting the stories we paid for we got mad about it.
That's continued to be people's issues with it. Changing a foreign story for local mass media appeal defeats the purpose of watching it.
Sloppy localizations that turn stories into American drivel has always been derided and chided, unless it was specifically to turn it into a comedy or new work.
MTL Iis a useful tool that's just being misapplied here because the barrier of entry is so low.
Oh people knew. I wasn't talking about the 90s or before, but rather in the mirc and batoto era. It gets pointed out and sometimes even get alternative scanlations when the rewrites get so bad. But they just get ousted for releasing an already translated chapter, and the translations called "low quality" because it doesn't rewrite to appeal to english readers. English only readers love rewrites/localizations.

Dex-chan lover
calm down, it's not like the worlds gonna end because of a badly translated one off chapter.
The world's not gonna end, but the chances of someone halfway competent picking up the chapter to actually translate it rather than guess decrease to infinitesimal. So there's a better than good chance that because someone thought they could MTL it, an MTL is all we will ever get.

Dex-chan lover

Can't translate a bubble with "ははは" with characters laughing? Rewrite it to an english meme! Now the characters laughing looks natural. Plenty such cases before MTL became the new demon in town.

That's not true either. People fighting about localisation vs raw translation is as old as scanlating itself.

Double-page supporter
That's not true either. People fighting about localisation vs raw translation is as old as scanlating itself.
It's as old as Kung Foo movies being altered for western release.
It's as old as the time you watched Pokémon and wondered why they were calling a rice ball a donut.

Users who are viewing this thread