Youjo Senki - Vol. 22 Ch. 63.5

Dex-chan lover
I’m just going to throw this out there, if you can’t figure out the meaning of a chapter from MTL you may just want to wait for someone with actual Japanese skills to work on it

I appreciate that you tried though
I get the feeling we’re not too far away from some sort of more semantic MTL method. Where instead of a literal translation, you get a list of things it could mean, with links to common phrases (with room for modification), puns, and references that it can find.

Contributor
I get the feeling we’re not too far away from some sort of more semantic MTL method. Where instead of a literal translation, you get a list of things it could mean, with links to common phrases (with room for modification), puns, and references that it can find.
The thing is that it’s still difficult for a machine to get all of those meanings, especially since the author could just sprinkle their own in.

Dex-chan lover
The thing is that it’s still difficult for a machine to get all of those meanings, especially since the author could just sprinkle their own in.

There's also stuffs that translate directly is 'correct' but you'd be missing out on the context.

One of the thing someone else corrected me on was 適当 (tekitou) which most translation will say it's suitable/fit/appropriate, like when MC has to think of a name for some pet.
What the person explain was that tekitou has an implication of...lack of serious thought to it? like "whatever, this'll do" sort of mindset.

Or when the author do a pun,
the pun is based on 引き連れて (take along) but on their separate bits 引き(pulling/dragging)連れて(taking along) to be literally someone being dragged along behind another via chain.

Not to mention when characters speak in unconventional way (children lisping being represented with full hiragana, or slurred words, robot speaking in full katakana, etc)

So yeah, it's not gonna be easy to get the correct translation even with such method.

Dex-chan lover
MTL should be straight up banned.
It's nowhere near at an acceptable level but people spam it since its accessible.
Stop.
People are doing it for free, the alternative is either nothing at all, having chapters behind a paywall or a fuckton of ads or waiting for an aggregator to upload the official version when it exist, with said aggregator also being filled with ads.

Users who are viewing this thread