Your Throne - Vol. 1 Ch. 17 - To Be You, Even Just For A Day

@Aradriana WHAT FOR REAL??? i read that too but i don't remember that illustration,, maybe it was from the novel... thanks for the reply!

bruh psyches sad past isn't even that sad

boohoo you lived in a basement your whole life

shes so weak smh

I do think that Medea's "I never wanted Psyche to die!" guilt is a bit hypocritical considering how she killed that knight in the early chapters of the story. I like her relationship with Psyche, but I would like for her to feel guilt regarding what she has done to unrelated parties. Even if she hated Psyche and the prince, she has hurt or killed people that had nothing to do with it.

ksi1pvrxskk41.jpg

yess it's time for you guys to form a trio and take down the crown prince!

Damn I’m so glad Medea didn’t die. I totally thought she was going to die in the series with a shift to Psyche learning to grow to become strong. For a while it looked like she was going to be a false protagonist to me.

@ZeeTee come on MC is a breath of fresh air among all the others who are just cookie cutter shining beacons of justice. It's fine to root for a villain as long as your support stays fictional.

@CitrusFruit314 What world have you been living in for the past two plus decades that you think an edgy protagonist is a breath of fresh air? Anti-hero main characters have been super common since at least the 90s.

It's been a while since I left my comment(and dropped the series), but from what I remember my initial grievance wasn't that she was a villain, it's that the early story has her perform numerous unambiguously wicked acts and the later on awkwardly tries to walk it back as if she was just an unfortunate victim who didn't do anything wrong. I wouldn't have had a problem if the author had kept her consistent, it's the contrived indecisiveness that chafes.

@ZeeTee okay point out one story with female lead being an anti hero. Closest I've read so far is the misunderstood villain type.

Your second point sounds fair, I do hate it when the author try to justify brush off killing no name people as a non issue too. Didn't get that vibe from this story though but to be honest I didn't pay too close attention to the plot because the art is so terrible (it looks glittery but character anatomy are so off)

Meo

Double-page supporter
@ZeeTee : Alright, the noble that got his tongue cut out and killed (that was totally overboard).

Yet the Knight, I can understand her justification for it. Her nanny was killed (indirectly) because of Psyche. Medea thought the Knight was beside her since birth, loyal to only Psyche. So Medea wants Psyche to experience the same pain she felt when her nanny was killed by her Father. Seeing Psyche didn't seem to think of him as her Savior, he was probably another guard to her prison. So basically a conspirator that we really shouldn't feel all that bad for dying.

@CitrusFruit314 Oh, didn't realize you were talking specifically about female MCs. Haven't read as many with those, so can't name a ton off the top of my head. In general though, my point was that anti-hero deconstruction-esq stories are extremely common.

@Meo Yes, it's possible the knight is actually a bad guy, but one would only know that with info that was revealed much later in the story; I'm not just talking about just the reader, in canon Medea is shown receiving these revaluations about Psyche's past. Murdering someone in cold blood for petty revenge and only later finding out that they might, maybe, possibly be villainous in hindsight doesn't change the moral implications of what motivated the original act. This is to say nothing of the nobleman you mentioned and the maid she was inches from murdering.

But as I stated previously, it isn't that she was a villain that does evil things that I had a problem with, it's the sloppy about face the author tries to pull with her character. Her actions early on are just flat out evil, no denying. As things progress, you can actively witness the author try and swap out her character and motivations; early and late Medea are essentially two different people. Why make her evil in the first place if you're going to just retcon it in a halfassed way? It's poor writing at best and deceitful at worst.

These are my issues with it. Does that mean that the overall comic is shit and no one should read it? No, if you like it, good for you, it's fine to enjoy things. But I am confident that my criticism's have validity to them as far as some of the narrative choices the author has made, and people stanning in defend muh lady at all costs is irksome. It's possible to like things that aren't perfect, there is no need to get so defensive.

Group Leader
Holy crap the song's gasps were timed so perfectly, listened to the song three times and then the last gasp matched with the panel. So good.

I don't think the author tried to make Medea a good person. The first chapter showed Medea as a villain seeking power. The backstory simply explained how she ended up as such a wicked person. I think it was some readers who painted Medea as a nicer person after seeing Medea's backstory. This view could be one of the reasons some readers could not get over their hatred for Psyche.

Users who are viewing this thread