Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai - Vol. 16 Ch. 81 - Yugami-kun Doesn't Have Any Friends?

Damn. I didn't expect such an unanimous reception for Yugami. It's already number one in this site. Looks like MangaDex really has a thing for slice of life, and I'm not complaining. This place is something else.

@scarletcrow we should consider the facts involving this free fries LOL. One of the girls said that the pizza delivery was surprisingly fast. It's not really surprising since the delivery guy was Yugami.

Or, it could be just the girls being clumsy with time. But then again, we're talking about Yugami here, that Yugami.

Or, it could also be it was just Kuzumi who was watching baseball. The ball slipped by and the batter either failed or succeed in his run. Therefore the remark, "already? that was fast" LOL. Or she simply said it because it was the end of the match then it's time for the girls to get the plates LOL. The tv screen only showed a guy succeeded in his run though.

Things in the previous paragraph could be a decoy judging from the context & sequence of conversation bubbles in that panel. Or, it's simply lost of context because of translations.

Perhaps Chihiro was the one who ordered the pizza & her name was written on the order/receipt. It's highly probable since they gathered at her place after all.

Lastly, a pizza restaurant or a pizzeria usually gave out free pizza or coupons for your next order, or simply gave out your current order for free as a compensation.

This is where you need context in this chapter and informations from the previous & the next chapters to fully understand what really happened.

All things considered, adorable isn't it? This manga made you do deductions like Sherlock Holmes, but unlike Mr. Holmes with all his murder cases, we have adorable & cutesy stuffs.

As for me, I already have one solid interpretation of the free fries. But, damn, the writer & editor really did their job with the panels & bubbles arrangements.

Just reread the manga for the sake of understanding all the hints & allusions. This manga totally deserves the rating.

@dgrcp Yeah, I understand. In any other manga this ending will most probably just be bitter-sweet. So, it becomes hard to judge this ending without context.
But, for this particular manga this ending was just perfect!! We understand the characters and this seems the most fitting ending. For such an ending it is hard to predict the reception ahead of time!!

That's great then. I do agree with you if we're talking about the ending. Anybody who really read & like this manga must & perhaps will come to a conclusion similar to yours.

I simply wrote that looooong comment & overanalyzing for the sake of @scarletcrow and the free fries LOL. Perhaps I only want to make an example for @scarletcrow & other people that there are things like this that you could see as hints & allusions everywhere in the manga. I want them to see it that way and perhaps they could enjoy this manga more by overanalyzing like me. LOL I'm such a weirdo. Well, maybe not over like me, simply pay attention because this writer is a good writer that drop hints, so it's better if we use our heart & head a little.

I’m not sure why I’m writing this very long post that no one ask for except--

1- I really love this manga. I’m not unhappy that it is over [because sometimes when extend a pleasure you end up diluting it] but I will miss it dearly. At this point in my manga reading life Koe no Katachi and Yugami-kun ni wa Tomdachi ga Inai are my favorite mangas of all the mangas I’ve read. Both have male protagonist are don’t quite fit in to their society.

2-The comments section has been a tremendous help in providing distraction while I waited for updates and has offer information that deepened my insight into the story.

3-I’m home sick and have work but catch up on, but . . .

So I’m going to go on about #81, knowing that my view are somewhat hindered because I don’t have a deep knowledge of manga or Japanese cultural norms.

After we catch up on what’s happening at Kamihoshi High we go to Chihiro’s apartment. I assume it is her apartment because all the girls are going to different colleges so it is unlikely a dorm room and since Chihiro lives alone it makes sense they would gather at her place. Also she’s the one answering the door.

Yugami is at the door and doesn’t seem that shocked to see Chihiro; he only lets out an “Oh”. I don’t know how Japanese delivery works, but if he had a name he might have thought it was Chihiro’s place but couldn’t be sure until she opened the door. I think the fries being on the house is Yugami gift to her.

Yugami has a habit of giving Chihiro gifts by just pushing them at her with little explanation. If we kept a list of the stuff he’s given her it would be long (turtle, he bought her an umbrella when it rained, stuffed animal/ cat dish/ puppet theatre/ shelving for her clubroom/ etc.). Yugami has no casual conversation skill. He says Yugami stuff—fries are fattening-- but Chihiro doesn’t recognize him so he raises his visor or does something to snap her out of paying for the pizza on automatic pilot “It’s not good for you.” Then Yugami doing his best with small talk. “Yo. So this is where you live. Your bill is 3240 yen” And he gone.

Page 9 when Yugami meets Chihiro coming home even without the extras we should have figured out it was planned. [I didn’t think about it] It doesn’t make sense that Yugami’s walking around randomly with an extra Heiraku ticket to offer. Yugami is too methodical for that. His toothy smile and slight blush on page 11 while Chihiro just looks shock seems almost as if he’s pulled something off—which he did.

When Chihiro asked about quitting baseball, Yugami didn’t want to answer so the redirected her focus to the fact that the Rakugo performance was starting. I think Yugami quit the baseball team because the thing that was keeping him busy was working at his part-time jobs so he would have money to date Chihiro. That’s also why he was skimping on haircuts. He did the same thing (skip lunches, etc.) so he could go to the expensive café after Heiraku’s performance at his school. Yugami’s willing to make sacrifices to earn what he wants.

Chihiro asks “Yugami-kun which story did you . . .” [want to hear? Perhaps.] She notices him looking glum. Either Yugami is glum because the date is almost over or he had hoped Heiraku would tell his story. Before he leaves he ambushes Chihiro into a second date. He doesn’t give her a chance to say no as he makes one of his famous preemptive departures. But this quick departure is different from his usual. He’s avoiding the possibility of being told no.

Yugami is depressed at the end of the second date, but perks up when Chihiro ask him to hang out.

Yugami is the master of obfuscation. The unnamed other things (or his circumstances) keeping him busy might be working so he can afford to date. He starts to confess, “I found someone I want to be friends with.” He turns and looks at Chihiro straight on, with his usual straightforwardness. But at Chihiro’s shocked expression, he backs off and offers an alternate truth, “It’s with Aliens.” He also might have backed off, because what he wants with Chihiro isn't to be friends, or at least not friends alone.

Yugami has been thinking about what Heiraku said a lot. Heiraku asked about Yugami’s relationship to Chihiro and he said friendship is important. So Yugami took Heiraku’s advice on friendships and decides to be an astronaut and make cosmic friends, and he answered Heiraku’s question on his relationship to Chihiro, while blushing, “You mean a lot to me.”

Page 26, It seems that Yugami and Chihiro are hanging out regularly after watching Heiraku perform Rakugo, but Yugami still leaves feeling let down. So the sense of being let down must be related to Yugami not hearing Heiraku tell his story. Then the story comes and Yugami can finally share it with the person who would best understand its significance. The image of the backs of Heiraku and Yugami echoing each other on page 31 is priceless.

Chihiro is happy because she thinks she has finally figured out why Yugami keeps inviting her out. The moon appears at the bottom of page 32. Page 33 is about Yugami trying to get folks to understand him but no one gets him. So in the end he turned to the person he thought would most likely get him, Chihiro.

Yugami then, as always, obliquely states his commitment to Chihiro, in a way she won’t understand. 1—I wanted you to have the maximum joy possible: “I thought it’d be more moving if you didn’t expect it.” 2—I want to be with you for a long time: “Well, I was thinking that it may take a few years until he finally tells that story.”

Chihiro doesn’t understand Yugami’s oblique confession, thinking he only wanted someone to confirm that the story was about him, so she wishes that Heiraku never told the story so that their reason for meeting would never end. The recognition of what she think is the end of their meeting rattles her so she stops listening to whatever Yugami is nattering on about and it becomes nonsense/incomprehensible.

When Yugami offers next months tickets she doesn’t get it because he had clearly stated he’d accomplish the goal he told her about.

So Yugami tells her Heiraku’s story (and ours) story evolves and the evolution of both never stop.

Chihiro want clarification, “By never, you mean we’re never stopping? Is it because we are friends?”

For a straightforward person, Chihiro’s direct question seems to catch Yugami off-guard. He looks a little dismayed. He doesn’t quite know what to call their relationship yet, he just know it isn’t friendship.

Chihiro isn't 100% sure what Yugami is asking for, but she agrees to keep going together as they stand facing each other under a full moon.

Ah, @xyzabc gave out more details on the free fries. I wanted to add details similar to yours but I thought it would be an overkill LOL.

Yup, I agree with your comments on Yugami's conversation with Chihiro at the door. He simply said "Oh" & moved on to the pizza & fries. Either he's genuinely surprised (the Yugami way) or he expected it (or at least had hoped/predicted that it could be THAT Chihiro).

You also did your homework on comparison to previous chapters. That's when we get extra informations on Yugami giving things to Chihiro and compare those with the free fries event in this chapter.

The part where he said "well it is on the house but ..." is definitely out of nowhere. Yugami had done it with other people but certainly he had done it much more with Chihiro. So it's a typical Yugami-Chihiro interaction.

I don't want to comment on things other than the free fries LOL. But, @xyzabc you shouldn't go to the internet when you have work. Real life distractions & refreshments, like cafe & cinemas, are better than the internet (timewise, physically-wise). If you're really homesick then just call home or finish your work & simply go home. Sorry if I offend you though. I really didn't mean any harm.

@dgrcp

Thanks for your concern.😁

You are right about not going to the internet if I am homesick, and doing my work before writing long unnecessary analysis that no one asked for🙄--but to be clear

I'm not homesick, i.e. missing my family.

I'm at home instead at work, because I'm sick with a cold.😩

At some point, I'd like to go a list of all the things Yugami has given Chihiro.

"The part where he said "well it is on the house but ..." is definitely out of nowhere. "

I figured if the free fries were a part of a promotion, then Chihiro would expect them and Yugami wouldn't have to announce them like he did.

Anyone know any similar type of manga? Or any manga that's comprised of lovable characters like this
I'm happy this ended well. But I REALLY need more of thiss.

Im glad reading this comment section. Just realized thats a lot of hint in this chapter. Thanks guys

@xyzabc welp, that's what I get for trying to mess with somebody else's business, especially when I did it on the road, out of boredom LOL.

This is OOT
So, did you feel better after surfing the internet? LOL. I prefer to sleep when I'm sick. Internet always made me think about this & that to the point where it made me even sicker LOL

As for the free fries as a compensation thing, I wouldn't say that I completely agree with you but your comment is quite reasonable.

To say that Chihiro would expect it & Yugami wouldn't have to announce it are definitely taking it too far, or in other words, you're overanalyzing like me LOL.

But, IMO the important point from your comments is we get the feeling that Chihiro didn't expect the fries. But, it was still ambiguous. We only get to see Chihiro's typical three dots face and then she simply said "thank you very much". So, we need more informations from the next pages, previous chapters & next chapter to know what really happened. This is exclusively for the free fries LOL

It's easier if we jumbled all the informations (by paying attention). That way our mind will automatically rationalize and bring out intuitions on what really happened. So, my closing remark is "don't overanalyze, simply pay attention & your brain will do the work" LOL

So its finally over.

There isn't a single thing I dont love about this manga, from the dry humor to the realistic characters to the subtle character writing to the gradual and natural development between the leads. Literally everything about it is perfect. I honestly dont think we are ever going to see a better shounen slice-of-life manga than this.

I remember when this only had a dozen chapters and updates sometimes came out with months in between. Even in the beginning, it was a manga that stood out to me and immediately grabbed my attention, and I always thought it was a damn shame that such a great overlooked series will probably never get fully translated at the rate it was going. So all I can say is "thank you" to Traumerei Scans for their hardwork.

Looking forward to the author's next work!

Fed-Kun's army
I knew it! I knew there was going to a hint of romance in this! All y'all that were saying they're strictly platonic can suck it!

Double-page supporter
I binged this in just two days and now I'm drowning in good feels ^^

This is such a beautifully written story of FRIENDSHIP! Yes, everything I like is here. I especially loved how Yugami grew as a character and the moment he recognized Chihiro as someone worth his attention (don't know how else to phrase it haha)

Now I'm on a streak of recommending this to any soul I meet! Just beautiful. I'm glad my ship has sailed (nobody can make me think otherwise)

Thank you so much to Traumerei Scans and GlassChair!!! We never would have enjoyed this masterpiece without you awesome people

Double-page supporter
It's finally over... I may have said it before, but I'm struggling to end this series. Not because it's bad, but because it's DAMN GOOD. I hate the void left by the ending of a good series. There is just a hint of romance, but that's enough. Because we all know where it's going to lead.

I'm having a good time while reading the series. So thank you Sakura Jun. I pray for you and your dear one's well being.

Users who are viewing this thread