Yuki to Sumi - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Train of Transgression

Dex-chan lover
I love it. What a great manga! Love the settings.

Thanks for translating it!

Dex-chan lover
I like the premise, two people given messed up endings to their stories. Neneo acts like a psychopath because that's what is expected of him. But he wasn't. He just put the people in his village out of his misery.

People act as if Freya was some sort of megalomaniac mastermind who lost in a family war, but she's just a girl who didn't do her job, and now she's being banished.

I'm quite curious as to where this will go next. What will their life in the Northern wastelands be like?

Aggregator gang
Had this saved just in case anyone decided to pick it up. Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Avoiding Common Words as Title Challenge: Impossible (there's two other series titled Yuki to Sumi). Kidding aside, this appears to be interesting. Pace is honestly good for a first chapter, no need to drag down the exposition.

Aggregator gang
Seems interesting but why it's going so fast..? It's not a one shot, is it? (thanks for the translation)

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if it'd be impossible to make a sympathetic character (whether they're immediately or eventually so) out of someone who did something as plainly evil as immolate an entire village's worth of people.

I'm sure it'd take some serious elbow grease to pull that off, but I found attenuating his crime by recontextualizing it as "putting already dying people out of their misery in a hopeless situation where their deaths were already certain" to be a bit cheap in one regard. It absolutely gives his character depth, and he's all the better for it, and I think I prefer for that context to be established now instead of much later down the line.

Still, it did make me think of how feasible others think it is to write a plainly "evil" character that becomes a markedly better person without any obvious built-in hinges that establish him as "conflicted", "ignorant", "misunderstood", or anything else that preemptively undercuts the sense of evil he's initially characterized with.

Users who are viewing this thread