Yumekui Merry

Fed-Kun's army
why has this manga been running so long?
Like I would consider the anime (2011) an era old.

Group Leader
@SweatyBrie
Why would it have ended?
Manga don't end because of their age; they end either because they're no longer profitable or because the creator wants to end it.
Merry is nowhere near the best selling Kirara manga for sure, but it's not doing so poorly that it deserves cancellation. It also fills a pretty particular niche and demographic that makes it kind of unique in terms of notable Kirara manga.
And Ushiki definitely wouldn't have wanted to end the series before he could finish telling the story he's been wanting to tell these past 12 years.

Fed-Kun's army
@hanchobakery not a complaint to Merry. But, I just find it odd. I know shonen can run for decades. But, it was just a comment on the time.

12 years is a looong time. It's that person's life for 12 years writing one genre, one series. Sure, that is many mangakas' life, and that needs some serious love for their work to stay interested for so long

@hanchobakery cool

Group Leader
@SweatyBrie
Yeah, I get that you weren't complaining, I'm just saying, there was no reason for the manga to end, which is why it hasn't.
12 years seems like a long time, but he's finally getting to conclude the story he wanted to tell. If you look at the earlier chapters, it's pretty clear he had somewhat of a plan of where he wanted the series to go and things he wanted to do, like the mystery of what happened to Merry and Yumeji in the past and stuff like Yumeji becoming able to transform.
And it's not like Merry is his whole life. He does illustration jobs sometimes and also got married and has had two kids.

@SweatyBrie just say that he's living the dream, if you please. You can't pass up a good opportunity for such a cliched pun like this.

Dex-chan lover
yumeji pulled out the shapeshifting how? maybe i forgot an ability he had

2 months for 2 chapters eh

also i really can't dislike the antagonists...this must be good writing.

except the music duo. as a musician their dialogue was god awful

oh and thanks for the chapters. much appreciated

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@Dark_Tifanny69

The anime was really horrendous compared to this.
The sound design was fine, but animation quality, scenic design and even the colour palette were absolutely awful. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to take the only redeeming feature (the story) and change it.

By far one of the worst adaptions I've ever seen...

@thirty7timeslucky
at the start the only thing he could do is mimick other nightmare abilities. This resulted in his body rejecting the source of that power, his hand which served as a connection to god. Basically he was using someone else's power.
Recently he has however been using unique powers similar to those of other nightmares, like when he forcibly merged with John. These result in serious feedback to his whole being and it was even mentioned that it might turn him into a nightmare. Hence the comment that he'd even abandon being human for Merry.
These are the only real abilities he has, he has been using god's power most of the time, and only recently changed the nature of it and making it his own, which presumably cost him being human. God just said that he did expect him to get strong and put up a fight, knowing full well that yumeji can't possible beat him through the power he got from him, he'd just be an inferior copy. So his unique powers would most likely be required to beat him.

@OhWell21
It's quite a good read. The first half is very easy to read, the second half is a lot of plot progression.

Probably my favorite action manga simply because the characters are not as obnoxious as your usual ones.

Basically, if you ever wanted to read a shounen battle manga with all the bad things taken out, this is it.

@MyriadDestinY
But that's a good thing right?

Ayy I remember watching a bad YouTube dub of this a couple years back I definitely have to remember to read this later.

I'm genuinely thankful that you guys are still translating this series. I watched it back when I was 14 or so and now I'm in my early 20s so it has a special place in my heart. Genuinely appreciate it.

Dex-chan lover
Yooooo! Thanks for marathoning this series for us! Appreciate the work all!

Group Leader
Man, I started reading this while I was still in middle school.
I really like how despite a few bad apples, the people in this manga are generaly not bitchy.

Fed-Kun's army
This is the second coming of Jesus. Please don't pass on this because of the initial art style or kinda wack plot. After the 1/4th of the series the artist really evolves and the way he makes certain characters also evolve is like the best. The main character for this is certainly one of the best and no I am not talking about just Merry I'm talking about Yumeji as well, the way he shines throughout the halfway point is like godly. A solid 10/10.

Sadly this got a pretty below average anime adaptation though the OP was good.

Please, please god read this if you are ALIVE. This is probably one of, if not the most beautiful and powerful story I've ever seen in my entire life. Even if it seems slow at first, it really picks up after the first quarter or so of chapters and completely evolves into something that is not only funny, but heart wrenching, imbued with 100% of Ushiki's soul. Even if you don't even LIKE manga, give this a read. It's hopes and dreams in one place, the heart.

Users who are viewing this thread