Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san - Ch. 68

Raw milk? because there is breads with cooked milk?
If there is a baker how can anwser, I'm curious

And thanks for the chapter

Dex-chan lover
I have a feeling that next chapter is gonna be ''nice''... Also thanks for the chapter.

@Ren-chan Raw milk is just milk that was not pasteurized. Harder to handle and find than pasteurized milk, and needs to be fresh before boiling to eliminate micro organisms. This way the milk would have full flavor depth and no preservation chemicals to screw with the dough process. I know this, thanks to my mother still buying raw milk for our general milk needs.

@SirBatu and @Ren-chan

Food Science & Technology major here!
There are actually no preservatives in thermal-processed milk. The reason why those milk have prolonged shelf-life is because spoilage-causing bacteria have been killed or inactive by the heat treatment (pasteurization or UHT). This heat treatment would damage some portion of protein and other nutrients in the milk, hence raw or fresh milk have deeper flavour.

Fed-Kun's army
thanks for the translation! just seeing that there's a new chapter makes my morning a little brighter every time.

@RangKayo9
There are actually no preservatives in thermal-processed milk.
There actually are. Lactic acid, for example. They occur naturally though.
spoilage-causing bacteria have been killed or inactive by the heat treatment
Not true. Some, like Clostridium Botulinum can even survive boiling. These are inactivated by other means. Clostridium, for example, can't grow in acidic environments. Since milk is naturally acidic, they're not usually a problem here. With other preserves, acid is added to control them.
Others, like Anoxybacillus Flavithermus (which turns the milk orange, but is otherwise harmless) can't be neutralized without making the milk unusable. These can only be controlled by good hygiene and regularly sterilizing the entire system.

BTW, if your in the latter part of your studies and haven't learned about botulism yet, you should probably consider changing universities.

Just realized I'm ranting about science on a gagmanga's comments. Well, at least I'm living up to the stereotype, I guess?
t. German process engineer

Double-page supporter
A kabedon? L-lewd!

I don't really get the reference though. I get that they share the same syllables, I just don't get how it's related at all to the situation.

@Ulfhednar
Thanks for pointed out that I hadn't been clear in my previous post. You are right, I should have specified that there is no added preservatives in processed milk, however lactic acid only present in fermented milk and does not present in thermal-processed milk since it require LAB (Lactic Acid Bacteria) to convert lactose into lactic acid. Regarding Clostridium, while it is indeed can exist in thermal-processed milk, there's actually no case of natural food-borne botulism in thermal-processed milk have been reported. Furthermore, In my previous post I was thinking about heat-stable psychrotroph such as Pseudomonas fluorescens, Pseudomonas fragi, Micrococci, and Streptococi rather than Clostridium botulinum since it is more of a prevalent threat in bottled or canned food. Lastly, I agree with you about maintaining sanitary and hygiene as an important aspect for the safety and quality of a food products. I hope you are doing well on your work, especially in these tough time.

p.s.
Milk is naturally alkaline with pH around 6.5 to 6.7.
My uni is quite good tbh, our undergraduate program for Food Science and Technology have been certified by IFT and IUFoST 😁

Reference:
https://aem.asm.org/content/76/10/3293
https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodscience/book-page/ph-0#:~:text=The%20pH%20of%20milk%20at,range%20of%206.5%20to%206.7.

@RangKayo9
Sorry if I offended you. When it's about science, I always end up correcting every small mistake I see, even if it's as meaningless as on here. Occupational sickness, I guess?
btw, you've got a typo. pH 6.5-6.7 isn't alkaline, but acidic. (In case your native language is not english: alkaline is the same as basic, pH >7.0). That slight acidity is due to small amounts of lactic acid, which form because the cows usually have bacteria on their udders that start transforming lactose pretty much the moment the cows are milked. (One source on lactic acid bacteria occuring in raw milk: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0958694608001428)

@Ulfhednar
It's fine, I actually enjoy this discussion and you shouldn't feel bad about it. I believe this traits of yours is actually good for your job as a process engineer, sure it could lead to debate with strangers online but as long as facts and reasoning used, I don't think it'd a bad thing.

Regarding the milk's pH, I believe you are right I should have specified it as low-acid. Thank you for helping me realize I often stated things in incorrect terms. It has been pleasure discussing food science with you. Hope you would have a good day 😁

Sincerely
Indonesian Food Tech Undergraduate

p.s that journal you shared is quite interesting 👍

Group Leader
I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious here... But why's c1p2 being referenced?

Users who are viewing this thread