Henkyou Gurashi no Maou, Tensei shite Saikyou no Majutsushi ni naru - Ch. 37 - Former Demon Lord, Reads the Map

Dex-chan lover
Ramping up the experiment until something goes wrong. Or rather, it's not about the experiment, just his inflated pride.

Good thing he managed to see reason. For her sake, in particular.

Learning what she felt is maybe one of the most important things they learned from the experiment.

Wonder if he can keep that promise. Considering he did manage to back down before, I'd give him the benefit of a doubt. But there's still doubt.

The ancient pride they have is kinda funny.

Odette is a good person.

Isn't an inland sea usually called a lake?

Of course it's better to travel incognito. That's always how they travel in these fantasy stories, if they're nobility. It means few or no guards, and they can act like normal people, so less characters for the author to keep track of, and no special interactions with other people.

There are almost always cases of broken promises, so never use that as an argument.

I like their compliment-teasing.

That daughter of a count is going to get carried through that.

Nice to see best girl Martha. She doesn't show up nearly enough.

Dex-chan lover
I'm praying so hard for no romance between MC and Odette

like plz I want platonic relationships between people of the opposite gender, I'm starved!!

I love the friendship they have going on <3

To be realistic, let's say five years max from this point, Odette should already be married off to who knows what noble scion. After that, her life would be extremely restricted, plus she would soon be a mother after that. It's possible competent mages are treated differently, but like was suggested in Odette wondering how Lord and Princess place no importance on noble titles, she, on the contrary, knows that's what really matters in the society and thus binds her down. She would truly need to become a big shot to avoid such a fate and remain in control of her own life.

In short, logically her days with those two dear friends are numbered.

Dex-chan lover
To be realistic, let's say five years max from this point, Odette should already be married off to who knows what noble scion. After that, her life would be extremely restricted, plus she would soon be a mother after that. It's possible competent mages are treated differently, but like was suggested in Odette wondering how Lord and Princess place no importance on noble titles, she, on the contrary, knows that's what really matters in the society and thus binds her down. She would truly need to become a big shot to avoid such a fate and remain in control of her own life.

Sad as it is, it's true. and she knows it, which is why she treasures them so much. I don't want to see her with MC but I do want to see her end up with someone who suits her.

He better make Martha his mistress though, I'll be pissed if he doesn't. She's done so much for him.

Dex-chan lover

I- I don't think that it's this kind of narrative?

I mean we've seen multiple women hold jobs without apparent spouse.

sure she is the daughter of a duke.

but she is also friends with the protagonist and the princess.

"Logically" doesn't really work here because within the world we have seen, which is the only logic that should be applied while analysing the plot, nothing is stopping odette from being friends with these two.

What is logical is that this is a manga based on a light novel with harem tag. Which means that I live and read in fear of the horrors of forced heteronormativity.

Dex-chan lover

Is it not? Yuuki must become a count to even dream of marrying Iris. It does sound like that sort of narrative, at least to a certain point.

Who knows what their backgrounds are. If they were commoners or the #th daughter of a lesser noble, they might be more valuable for the family as important officials. Like I said, if Odette does become a big shot, nobody can anymore expect her to not put the big shot skills to use for the country. Otherwise a daughetr of an important noble is a tool for political marriages.

"Logically" doesn't really work here because within the world we have seen, which is the only logic that should be applied while analysing the plot, nothing is stopping odette from being friends with these two.

That's true. It's just my personal problem, but I feel like all interesting discussion dies when someone says "it doesn't need to happen, the author can do whatever they want with their story". What can you say anymore after that? Nothing.

I'm not saying she can't remain their friend, but when she's the wife of a noble out there somewhere and needs to look after her kids and do the duties of the lady of a noble house, she can't anymore participate in the kind of life Yuuki and Iris are right now (probably) imagining for themselves. Of course they can keep meeting every now and then, and I'm sure they will, unless a tragedy tag appears. But, yes, it's not like I'd wish to see her removed from the picture. But if she's not, I'd like to see the author come up with a believable explanation. In fact they already suggested it: make her the leader of the magicians.

What is logical is that this is a manga based on a light novel with harem tag. Which means that I live and read in fear of the horrors of forced heteronormativity.

Harem is not normative anymore in the vast majority of the world, though. I wish it would mostly die from manga as well.

Dex-chan lover

sure she is the daughter of a duke.

I actually didn't notice the harem tag
Damn

Dex-chan lover
Is it not? Yuuki must become a count to even dream of marrying Iris. It does sound like that sort of narrative, at least to a certain point.
Very much "to a certain point." I can see it leaning either way, but she's the kind of dutiful girl who would probably get married arranged for her for the sake of the family. And that's even if she gets an important enough position to be able to avoid it.

I wish it would mostly die from manga as well.
Yeah. The vast majority of harems are just, "I want to write a bunch of different waifus, but I don't want to have to write a bunch of different stories, so I'll just toss them into the same story." And most aren't real harems, but a bunch of girls hovering around a guy.

The ones that are real harems have all characters involved interact and bond with each other, not just each girl with the MC. Bonds between the girls is just as important. Unless it's a Chinese royal harem, like in Apothecary Diaries.

Dex-chan lover

Who knows what their backgrounds are. If they were commoners or the #th daughter of a lesser noble, they might be more valuable for the family as important officials. Like I said, if Odette does become a big shot, nobody can anymore expect her to not put the big shot skills to use for the country. Otherwise a daughetr of an important noble is a tool for political marriages.

That's true. It's just my personal problem, but I feel like all interesting discussion dies when someone says "it doesn't need to happen, the author can do whatever they want with their story". What can you say anymore after that? Nothing.

I'm not saying she can't remain their friend, but when she's the wife of a noble out there somewhere and needs to look after her kids and do the duties of the lady of a noble house, she can't anymore participate in the kind of life Yuuki and Iris are right now (probably) imagining for themselves. Of course they can keep meeting every now and then, and I'm sure they will, unless a tragedy tag appears. But, yes, it's not like I'd wish to see her removed from the picture. But if she's not, I'd like to see the author come up with a believable explanation. In fact they already suggested it: make her the leader of the magicians.

Harem is not normative anymore in the vast majority of the world, though. I wish it would mostly die from manga as well.
Real harem is incredibly rare in manga, fake harems (lots of love interest but either choices one or none) has been the norm in manga for years and I agree I wish it would die out. Either follow through with it or stay 1-on-1 love story.

Dex-chan lover
"That's true. It's just my personal problem, but I feel like all interesting discussion dies when someone says "it doesn't need to happen, the author can do whatever they want with their story". What can you say anymore after that? Nothing."

Oh I'm not saying that!
I'm saying that the story the author has written should only be judged based on the rules the author has introduced.
For examples in this chapter it was explicitly said that in order to marry into royalty Mc would have to climb several ranks up. So it wouldn't make sense to have a couple in the future with wide difference in noble rank, that is happily married. Because that would make no sense within the established rules.

And as far as I remember nothing in this story exists that prevents an arc where Mc and Fl team up to make it so Odette doesn't really have to marry anyone at all.

If we're talking historically accurate, they were multiple women (of high noble rank) who did live happy spinster or spinster like lives. But again, rules of the narrative and what has been said/implied vs. what hasn't.

"Harem is not normative anymore in the vast majority of the world, though. I wish it would mostly die from manga as well."

Harem is quite normative. Polyamory isn't.
keep in mind, I'm not talking about harem necessarily as the open relationship between multiple people, but rather for the reason it exists. Harem as the tag/genre.

The wishfulfillment.

The idea, in which any and all women are attracted to men in the exact same way, no non-normative feeling here!

Dex-chan lover
I fell ya though I want more TRUE harems. Like I am tired of harems being stories that either end up being open-ended or monogamous. I want true polycule harems. And protagonists who are interesting and not just Haruto McHighschoolboy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread