Azadarake no Classmate ga Shinpai de - Vol. 1 Ch. 13

Group Leader
I don't know if the MC is constantly grinning at her with devilish eyes or what for her to say he's making her uncomfortable. Well, savior complex or whatever, as long as she's safe, it's better to take refugee there for a few days than to return home.

It just occurred to me that this kind of story would work if it's set in a less developed country, like Vietnam, 10-20 years ago. Cops are not able to get involved and other adults would most likely see it as parental discipline gone overboard.

He does actually in the novel
Yeah, and the girl was nicer in the novel, too.

Dex-chan lover
You know those LN/Mangas with traumatized male MC that's been booming as a genre lately? Well, one of the criticism of that genre is "oh those male MCs are stupid and dumb for turning down any help or interaction from any girls (cuz who knows they might be sincere)"

Here we see the genders flip and now it's "eugh i bet the male is going to be a creep" or "i hope the protag is a girl or a gay guy so that he won't lay hands on her"

I mean, hey, I might be reaching, or reading too much into this or whatever but... it's an "interesting" observation nonetheless.
It's gotta be the boys, amirite boys?

sip.png

Dex-chan lover
You know those LN/Mangas with traumatized male MC that's been booming as a genre lately? Well, one of the criticism of that genre is "oh those male MCs are stupid and dumb for turning down any help or interaction from any girls (cuz who knows they might be sincere)"

Here we see the genders flip and now it's "eugh i bet the male is going to be a creep" or "i hope the protag is a girl or a gay guy so that he won't lay hands on her"

I mean, hey, I might be reaching, or reading too much into this or whatever but... it's an "interesting" observation nonetheless.

sip.png
You're not reaching. It's an observable phenomenon that only recently is such a big issue that anyone with mild observation skills can see it.

Dex-chan lover
You have any examples you can rattle off?

I'm not trying to press you-- I just never noticed that specific trend. I'm familiar with traumatized male MCs that are just traumatized and they just carry that with them, and I'm familiar with the boom in "got betrayed by my party and nearly died, but I survived and was rewarded with a hot lady" manga. I think the closest thing to what you're describing that I remember is The Rising of the Shield Hero, and I don't think anybody begrudged Naofumi for his lowkey gynophobia (at least, from what I remember, he had some of that after his betrayal early on).

Dex-chan lover
I don't think anybody begrudged Naofumi for his lowkey gynophobia (at least, from what I remember, he had some of that after his betrayal early on).
Being traumatized? No.
What the manga presented as a perfectly ethically valid payback? Don't even get me started.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Creepiness factor is different between genders simply for biological reasons: as long as pregnancy and giving birth will remain massive investments of resources for women, affecting their lives for years, men will be the ones normatively seeking relationships and thus men will be the ones seen as creeps for showing attention inappropriately.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think she can go home after this. Her mother may actually beat her to death or lock her in the house so her "model" can't escape and deprive her of "art" to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread