J-Novel Club

Dex-chan lover
wow this thread is the exact opposite of what I expected to see

JNC does good work and has had these titles for years. Idk what people are getting all pissy about.

Anyway, I appreciate the links to official publishers!

Dex-chan lover
Links to official publishers are a good thing but an updates list that now has multiple pages of ch1 releases is a bit annoying.

That said, it might be helpful if there was more discussion of official publishers on MD - which ones you can trust, which ones have reasonable prices etc...

Dex-chan lover
When I thought this thread would turn into a fiery hate fest, it appears that many people actually view J-Novel Club in a positive light. Well, that is motivating enough for me to waste some of my money for them, because why not.

DRM-free for the win, yo! :cool:

(Last time I checked) One exception to your description here is that if you stop your membership - you lose access to download new copies what the DRM-free versions you paid for. So… download them before you cancel…. Or buy the subscription again, download, and cancel… it’s a known hole, but there is no intent to fix.
You only lost the ability to buy new credits when your subscription lapsed. You don't and never did lose the ability to redownload already purchased volumes, that would be stupid and probably illegal. And after they changed from the credit system to the coin system even the restriction on buying currency and books doesn't exist anymore. This could have been found out with 2 minutes of googling before posting.

Contributor
with JNC history in light novel community, prepare for drop bec of DMCA. they actively hunt even the webnovel version of novel which I really hope im wrong but many manga will be stop posting in mangadex.
Most of the chapters linked belong to titles that have been licensed for years at this point. If they were gonna do something it would have already happened.
Also except for a very few cases, easily countable on your hands, MD has not removed chapters at a publisher's request.

You're mostly right. One correction is payments the subscription to new releases is done through a payment processor. So There is no need to purchase coins to get the actual subscription. So if you only care about getting the latest chapters, there is no need to interact with coins.

I do wish they unlocked the older chapters but I guess that's the hook to get you to buy the books. Though like you pointed out, every month there is series that is on "catch-up" meaning any member can read the whole series and stay upto date with the releases.

With regards to translation quality, I've vetted the many parts of their translation for the series "Honzuki no Gekokujou", and the translation is very good, for both the manga and the LN. My major complaint is they dont Redraw the SFX, they just add a smaller english one next to it. Which is okay I guess, but in a world where Ai can do redrawing, its kind of lame.
Assuming it's the same as their novels the difference between reading simulpub and something already launched it's that the you're not reading the final version so it might (and probably will) have some errors, mostly typos and inconsistent terminology, so I guess that's the reason why they won't just put a "unlock everything" plan.
Personally I prefer the sfx to be left as is, so the lack of redrawing isn't an issue for me. That's nice that the translation is good though, hopefully it applies to all of their series. I guess the real question is if they can release at a reasonable pace for all of their series. They're going to have a hard time getting members if most of their series are way behind scanlations or take months to update. Hopefully they don't just focus on the popular series and leave everything else stalled forever.
I love JNC but it sucks for simulpub manga, no matter what they do they are always going to be slow because:
  • It's not actual simultaneous publishing, if they catch up to the latest volume you'll have to wait months for the next
  • Even when the volume releases in japan the way licenses work they wont start publishing until months later.
The only good thing I can say is that they have never dropped a translation

You only lost the ability to buy new credits when your subscription lapsed. You don't and never did lose the ability to redownload already purchased volumes, that would be stupid and probably illegal. And after they changed from the credit system to the coin system even the restriction on buying currency and books doesn't exist anymore. This could have been found out with 2 minutes of googling before posting.
As stated - last time I checked. Which was before their self sale to another company. And yes, it was true, and yes that caveat was clearly outlined to subscribers. And I know this for a fact because a number of years back my credit card lapsed and I lost access to everything until I put in the new info. If this is different now - then great! People so touchy here XD

Assuming it's the same as their novels the difference between reading simulpub and something already launched it's that the you're not reading the final version so it might (and probably will) have some errors, mostly typos and inconsistent terminology, so I guess that's the reason why they won't just put a "unlock everything" plan.

I love JNC but it sucks for simulpub manga, no matter what they do they are always going to be slow because:
  • It's not actual simultaneous publishing, if they catch up to the latest volume you'll have to wait months for the next
  • Even when the volume releases in japan the way licenses work they wont start publishing until months later.
The only good thing I can say is that they have never dropped a translation
They did drop new life + when all that drama about the author and his allusions to some war events came out.

As stated - last time I checked. Which was before their self sale to another company. And yes, it was true, and yes that caveat was clearly outlined to subscribers. And I know this for a fact because a number of years back my credit card lapsed and I lost access to everything until I put in the new info. If this is different now - then great! People so touchy here XD
This wasn't true even back then, which I know for certain because a hack used by certain members was to subscribe for 1 month during the Black Friday credit sales, stock up on tons of discounted credits, and then let their subscription lapse but to continue using their stockpile of credits to redeem for new volumes.

And yes, it was clearly outlined to subscribers back then that

If you no longer have an active subscription, unused Credits are saved to your account, and you can still redeem them for Premium ebooks.
Premium ebooks you have purchased using Credits can be downloaded from your library as often as you'd like, and the files are yours to do as you wish.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201112043057/https://j-novel.club/howitworks
https://web.archive.org/web/20210419065938/https://j-novel.club/faq

Again, 2 minutes of googling.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
They did drop new life + when all that drama about the author and his allusions to some war events came out.
Partially true.
They didn't drop the license.
The licensor told them "get rid of everything, we'll give you these licenses instead".

Dex-chan lover
oh great they took over another dussin series i followed, i sure do love these cunts... guess i'm gonna have to stop reading all those.
The irony is thick here, imagine complaining about "reading" and not doing exactly that with regards to the thing you're complaining about.... :wtf::slap::slap:

I get it, it's a bit frustrating to see the feed flooded, but it's not like any of this is new.

Users who are viewing this thread