Akuyuu no Ore ga Ponkotsu Kishi wo Miterarenai n da ga, Dou Sewa wo Yakya Ii?~ Madome Gaiden~ - Ch. 14 - If Only Those Seeking Love Advice Would Firs…

Dex-chan lover
image.png

Wiser words have never been uttered

Dex-chan lover
I think that the honorifics are important, since they convey information for which there is no easy and simple English translation. However, it's your TL and I can't tell you what to do. I like and appreciate your work regardless of what quibbles I have.

Dex-chan lover
I think that was the best move Nephy could’ve made. Knowing Barbatos’s personality, if he was told outright what was going on, he would just reject the notion and spend the whole time denying it, possibly taking even longer to realize his feelings than if he were to fumble around in the dark

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I prefer having honorifics as well.

Even if it doesn't matter much now, what if it becomes more significant later?
I think that the honorifics are important, since they convey information for which there is no easy and simple English translation. However, it's your TL and I can't tell you what to do. I like and appreciate your work regardless of what quibbles I have.
Those are valid points, and I'd be the first one to raise their voice if such a thing happened on a normal romcom manga.
I just feel that such points don't really apply to this particular series as much:
  • the story doesn't even take place on planet Earth, but some fantasy world
  • the amount of the honorifics is really, really low compared to any day-to-day story
  • the actual importance of said honorifics isn't even that high in the first place, but you'll have to take my word on that I guess

Aside from that, it just looks cleaner without them, it's easier to TS and it's less awkward to NOT read aloud all the -san's, -sama's and whatnot imo... but that's just a "me" thing.
I'd like to leave you all with some food for thought: are you sure you don't find the lack of honorifics strange just because you know they should be there in Japanese? Despite the fact you're reading in English?
Honorifics are a Japanese thing, not an English thing, so maybe read the story in Japanese if you really can't do without them lmao.

Dex-chan lover
I'm on the vote for leaving honorific as-is

As a long time otaku, honorific is totally important about each character's mind about others in every story. Japanese language has significant meaning for every personal call. Like if someone call others using "kisama" instead "kimi", they got a good punch as it sound very rude.

Meanwhile, this is romance story. People use honorific if they don't feel very close. And the time when they drop honorific, that means Barbatos & Chastelle has acknowledged each other.

Group Leader
Ordinarily, I'd side with the people requesting the honourifics to be left in. I 100% prefer reading things with the honourifics of the language in which the dialogue is supposed to be taking place.

This brings us neatly along to my objection: this is a high-fantasy series. There is no Japanese culture that I could discern, and we have no reason to believe that the language that the characters are speaking must be Japanese. I don't know, all the names come from the Lesser Key of Solomon; what language was that written in?

I understand the desire to keep the honourifics, I really do. But I must side with MrSergio on that one.

This brings us neatly along to my objection: this is a high-fantasy series. There is no Japanese culture that I could discern, and we have no reason to believe that the language that the characters are speaking must be Japanese.
I've read the LN and frantically speaking, I didn't feel like reading a Japanese literature at all. Maybe because the translation is good enough to not sweat about the ties with the Japanese, but I feel like yeah... there is really no need to use honorific.

So I'm with you guys, although I do love my Japanese manga with honorifics, every translator are not obligated to use them.

Note: in the LN, Nephy calls him Lord Barbatos and not Master Barbatos. That does not really matter but to not confuse with her also calling Zagan "Master", I prefer the "Lord"

Group Leader
I prefer having honorifics as well.

Even if it doesn't matter much now, what if it becomes more significant later?
Even if it does, it'll be on the translator to figure out how to handle it. Using honorifics has always been the easy solution and only that. Although, it is still preferred to some crazy nicknames that would spawn just because the translators don't want to see any -chan or -cchi in the script.

Dex-chan lover
Those are valid points, and I'd be the first one to raise their voice if such a thing happened on a normal romcom manga.
I just feel that such points don't really apply to this particular series as much:
  • the story doesn't even take place on planet Earth, but some fantasy world
  • the amount of the honorifics is really, really low compared to any day-to-day story
  • the actual importance of said honorifics isn't even that high in the first place, but you'll have to take my word on that I guess

Aside from that, it just looks cleaner without them, it's easier to TS and it's less awkward to NOT read aloud all the -san's, -sama's and whatnot imo... but that's just a "me" thing.
I'd like to leave you all with some food for thought: are you sure you don't find the lack of honorifics strange just because you know they should be there in Japanese? Despite the fact you're reading in English?
Honorifics are a Japanese thing, not an English thing, so maybe read the story in Japanese if you really can't do without them lmao.
Well like I said, honorifics could play a bigger part later.

For example, Nephie always calls Zagan "Zagan-sama"

What if one day she decides to just call him "Zagan"?

That is a very significant difference as it shows the increased intimacy between the two.

Although if you were translating "Zagan-sama" as "Master Zagan" I would be fine with that.

In any case, maybe I just read too much manga but honorifics do not sound strange to me AT ALL even when read aloud.

I feel its paying more respect to japanese culture when honorifics are left as is but thats just me.

At the end of the day, its your translation that you're doing for free with good quality so im still very grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread