Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 127 - Retrieval Mission

Dex-chan lover
That would be crazy if true. Hey, we may risk our empire to ash but fuck them because they got long ears. Totally worth the risk to fight the most powerful beings on the planet just cause we don't like them knife ears. So dumb it's funny.
Eh, "racism" is generally not a true feeling, but a convenient narrative to dehumanize the people you're trying to steal from. In time it can become a true feeling, but the origins are of class and war. Empires all fail eventually as the cost to maintain their dominance outpaces the value they can steal.

Dex-chan lover
through it could have happened while they were fucking so yeah it's kinda weird that it was that simple thing that revealed them.
They were not fucking in the front of the door of the room they are in, it dont realy make much sense.

Double-page supporter
The irony is palpable with the Empire, a civilization that only began to involve magic due to Flamme's influence, is now targeting Serie and Frieren. Honestly, this chapter is stressing me out most. Land's point about the Empire's authority over magic and how the Continental Magic Association acts as a threat to said authority is both interesting and vexing. Maybe by the end of this, the Empire will be so humiliated by their failed attempts of assassination that they'll begin losing their influence... At least I hope so. I really hope that Serie won't be assassinated here. Maybe we'll even get to see just how powerful she is?

I still ascribe to the theory that Serie had relations with the Goddess due to how they are both from the Mythical era. Who knows? Maybe she IS the Goddess? That would be some lovely irony

Dex-chan lover
Does this mean that the empire has been infiltrated by the demons and are being used to eliminate living legends like Frieren and Serie? Or they just think that they're threats to the Empire's reign even though they couldn't care less about political power struggles? What the hell are they thinking when there are still some remnants of the Demon Army running around? Although I guess the Mage's Guild is an organisation that can be a big threat in the future and killing Serie could set back their influence and growth.
It's because there's only remnants left. When the demon king was still alive, the demons were actively pushing into human lands (specially the Empire) and eating everyone.

Now the remnants are just scattered and acting individually. Aura was threatening one town but was defeated. Mach was sealed and then defeated. As far as humanity knows, all the Great Demons are defeated or sealed. All that is left of that legacy is the Serie and Freiren, two magic users rivaling the Empire's magic corps.
Why Frieren was on the assassination list when she isn't related to the magic association is a bit weird though, since I don't think their relation of Frieren being Serie's apprentice's apprentice is known to the public.
Because Serie and Freiren are powerful magic users outside of the Empire's control. That's the most likely reason. Long lasting, powerful governments tend to dislike powerful people or things that they cannot control.

Dex-chan lover
Also seeing how a legit psychopath like Ubel is so popular, is it a massive "i can fix her" situation among the fandom?
People like psycho characters, especially if they're cute. Doesn't need to be, "I can fix her," since most of the time it's just enjoying characters. I mean, the Joker is one of the most popular Batman characters, and I doubt that's for wanting to "fix" him. These characters are usually interesting, unusual, and make things happen.

Dex-chan lover
Eh, "racism" is generally not a true feeling, but a convenient narrative to dehumanize the people you're trying to steal from. In time it can become a true feeling, but the origins are of class and war. Empires all fail eventually as the cost to maintain their dominance outpaces the value they can steal.
I think that a lot of racism is grounded in primal or primitive fear. You're instinctively to be vary of something unfamiliar. So when you get to know the foreigners a bit more, your defense go down.
You see a lot of more low intelligent, low educated being racist than educated and intelligent. I think that it also has with being able to use your brain to reduce the primitive traits. But the dumber you are, the harder this is.

Dex-chan lover
The irony is palpable with the Empire, a civilization that only began to involve magic due to Flamme's influence, is now targeting Serie and Frieren. Honestly, this chapter is stressing me out most. Land's point about the Empire's authority over magic and how the Continental Magic Association acts as a threat to said authority is both interesting and vexing. Maybe by the end of this, the Empire will be so humiliated by their failed attempts of assassination that they'll begin losing their influence... At least I hope so. I really hope that Serie won't be assassinated here. Maybe we'll even get to see just how powerful she is?

I still ascribe to the theory that Serie had relations with the Goddess due to how they are both from the Mythical era. Who knows? Maybe she IS the Goddess? That would be some lovely irony
I think it's interesting because it's something that could've happened easily in the real world.

Dex-chan lover
Ubel likes Land.
His magic allows her to cut him without injuring the real body. She can get her fix safely without going to war or jail :D
Most likely we're going to see Lawine and Laufen again soon too by this logic,
They are getting their short story episode in the novelisation (penned by author of Tunnel to Summer). Aura also got her episode.

Just humans being humans, as always. The Empire not only survived the war with demons on all side completely surrounded but thriving afterward, probably developed an isolationist and even xenophobic ideology, now if that same Empire intent on large scale conquest or feel their existence being threaten by outside force or simply want to monopolized magic, would made sense that they would want to eliminated the threat to their future. Or they could've made a deal with demons or already being infiltrated but that's no fun, human greed for power is more interesting

Ubel likes Land.
His magic allows her to cut him without injuring the real body. She can get her fix safely without going to war or jail :D
They are getting their short story episode in the novelisation (penned by author of Tunnel to Summer). Aura also got her episode.
Wait, there's a novelization?

Dex-chan lover
Just humans being humans, as always. The Empire not only survived the war with demons on all side completely surrounded but thriving afterward, probably developed an isolationist and even xenophobic ideology, now if that same Empire intent on large scale conquest or feel their existence being threaten by outside force or simply want to monopolized magic, would made sense that they would want to eliminated the threat to their future. Or they could've made a deal with demons or already being infiltrated but that's no fun, human greed for power is more interesting
I think it'd be better if they kept it to the humans being the bad guys this time around and not having demons involved, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess. If demons are involved, I hope they're just pulling strings and lobbying instead of being directly involved some way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread