Ruri Dragon - Ch. 9 - As Normal As Possible

Fed-Kun's army
As everything goes on I just get more and more curious about how Ruri came to even exist? Not necessarily the physical but like, how did Ruri’s mum even meet a dragon to begin with?
Honestly with how athletic the mom is and the big fight mentioned I bet the mom is basically an ex-hero and met the dad when she was sent to eliminate him

Dex-chan lover
Why are they all talking like zoomers? I'm still waiting for them to bring up the skibidi toilet. I seriously doubt they're being this breezy in the raw.

This moron needs to stop trying to revive his dead writing career and actually tell us what they say.

Ruri Dragon is a success in Japan BECAUSE the characters talk in (Japanese) zoomer lingo. It's the new trend in SoL manga, mostly manifesting in web series. The most zoomer-ish manga around is probably See You Tomorrow at the Food Court, basically two gyarus just talking. Unfortunately, it's difficult to properly translate what they're saying, so if you look at the scanlations here the girls sound pretty normal. I actually applaud the official translator of Ruri Dragon for making her talk like she would in the original Japanese.

Another popular manga where the girls talk in this zoomer lingo is Mieru-ko-chan. We just don't notice this because it's translated into standard English, but Miko and Hana talk like proper zoomers in Japanese.

Also, Ruri Dragon is outperforming every other SoL in the Jump line, and even in Shueisha's entire SoL manga catalog. It's even outperforming long-running shonen stuff like Yozakura Family and Witch Watch. Shindo's career is quite secure. The long hiatus is not a big deal, really, and Shindo actually had a real good reason for it. Check out Ishizuka Chihiro's self-explanation for why Flying Witch had a similar hiatus (hit writer's block and ran away to hometown).

Dex-chan lover
So Ruri actually did inherit some of the athletic potential of her mom, she just has no experience or training. Considering mom could fight a dragon, we learned one more way Ruri can become overpowered.

Dex-chan lover
Why are they all talking like zoomers? I'm still waiting for them to bring up the skibidi toilet. I seriously doubt they're being this breezy in the raw.
they are actually speaking that lax in the raw

case in point:
pLlWKQ3.png

- "shabettara, nodo kawakan?" >> "shabettara, nodo kawakunai?" >> "shabettara, nodo ga kawakimasen ka?"
--> "are you not thirsty from talking?"

- "shoujiki, wakaran" >> "shoujiki, wakaranai" >> "shoujiki, wakarimasen"
--> "honestly, I don't know"

the mother IS talking with a very casual vibes

Dex-chan lover
they are actually speaking that lax in the raw

case in point:
pLlWKQ3.png

- "shabettara, nodo kawakan?" >> "shabettara, nodo kawakunai?" >> "shabettara, nodo ga kawakimasen ka?"
--> "are you not thirsty from talking?"

- "shoujiki, wakaran" >> "shoujiki, wakaranai" >> "shoujiki, wakarimasen"
--> "honestly, I don't know"

the mother IS talking with a very casual vibes
Well it's nice to know they're being extra casual, but the line that struck me as off continues to be off. That first bubble is really extra there.

Double-page supporter
Well it's nice to know they're being extra casual, but the line that struck me as off continues to be off. That first bubble is really extra there.
I think you're just looking too deep.
Maybe a little verbose, but like, so? Its not like every line is like that. Having one line thats a little longer than it could potentially be isn't world ending and doesn't mean there is a problem with the translation.

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, I haven't seen the raws, so I highly doubt this is how they're talking. It would be the first time anything like this would be even vaguely appropriate.
It's by no stretch the "first time" a manga has used slang, that's a pretty ridiculous notion.

The reason you don't see it is because it's difficult to translate, often comes off stale due to the differences in pop culture and it's current icons, and usually doesn't give any literary or comedic value to someone with a different culture.

When I localized professionally, puns, wordplay, and slang tended to just get ripped and replaced with the closest English alternative we could think of.

edit: cut my rant about how official translations are bad because the JP side middle management didn't let us do out jobs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread