Renge to Naruto! - Ch. 10 - Chili Shrimp!

She's a flashy drunk.

Also what's the deal with crayfish being considered disgusting? is this a Japanese thing? I know that crayfish are considered a delicacy in many places.
"Crayfish are not a traditional or common food in Japan. However, they have gained some popularity in recent years as a novelty item or as an ingredient in fusion cuisine." ~ Google.
Apparently it's just an old habit of theirs, it probably reflects some experience that the author lived or witnessed.

Dex-chan lover
Okay this is going to make me sound like a nitpicking pretentious arse, but it's how I feel so I'm just going to post it here.

I do not like that she is a surgeon it breaks my immersion, let me explan, it takes years of specialization and dedication to become a surgeon it is not something you just do on the side and abandon for your true calling of being a mangaka. If she were a GP, then sure I'd buy it, but the amount of effort that you need to dedicate to becoming a surgeon is just short of insane and to be ready to abandon it to become a mangaka just does not sit well with me. That is all, just my two cents,nothing to see here, move along.

Okay this is going to make me sound like a nitpicking pretentious arse, but it's how I feel so I'm just going to post it here.

I do not like that she is a surgeon it breaks my immersion, let me explan, it takes years of specialization and dedication to become a surgeon it is not something you just do on the side and abandon for your true calling of being a mangaka. If she were a GP, then sure I'd buy it, but the amount of effort that you need to dedicate to becoming a surgeon is just short of insane and to be ready to abandon it to become a mangaka just does not sit well with me. That is all, just my two cents,nothing to see here, move along.
There's literally an example for this, my man ken jeong. He forsaken the doctor carrer for his passion of acting and comedy

Dex-chan lover
That was a great chapter.
Also she's a drunk flasher.... Incredible.
Thanks for the translation!

Supporter

I'm more uneasy with her being depicted as a drunk, but, yeah, I get where you're coming from. It's not my favorite "It's just a manga" sort of situation.

It's often repeated in anime/manga, but why are Japanese men so meek/vegetable-like? I say this as a socially anxious person who would take all these encounters at the drop of my hat anytime anyday.

Dex-chan lover
Late 20s are mid-life now? I knew I was old already, but this makes it even worse.
Achieving a major goal (like becoming a surgeon) and then realizing you're not really passionate about it should be a viable substitute for ACTUALLY getting old.

It's not uncommon for people to second guess themselves after reaching a major milestone like that.

Supporter
Achieving a major goal (like becoming a surgeon) and then realizing you're not really passionate about it should be a viable substitute for ACTUALLY getting old.

It's not uncommon for people to second guess themselves after reaching a major milestone like that.
Again, I get it. But it's more about the idea that they're depicting a surgeon as a drunk. Kind of uneasy with that. Maybe just me.

Supporter
You might be underestimating how stressful of a job it is.
I'm really not. What I am doing is uneasy with the mangaka depicting a surgeon as a drunk. Yes, there are alcoholic doctors. But there aren't many professions with their own version of Alcoholics Anonymous because of the professional standards to which doctors are held, unlike the vast and overwhelming majority of other professions (a particular exception would be lawyers, who also have their own version of AA). Society has expectations for surgeons (and other doctors) that they don't for most other professions because lives are literally in their hands.

I get that this is a comedy manga, and I like this manga. But this is one detail I'm uneasy with in no small part because of my connection to this profession.

Dex-chan lover

Seriously, just make her a businesswoman or something. Picking surgeon specifically seems very weird. You're right, it does break the immersion. Luckily she's not in the story often and isn't the main focus.

Users who are viewing this thread