Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Ch. 149 - Your voice is kinda shrieky, Senpai

Double-page supporter
If there had been any previous instance of him asking her not to look at the stuff he's working on, I would agree. But their whole relationship is based around Nagatoro pushing his boundaries. "Bullying him". Without that, they wouldn't even be talking to each other. Complaining about it now when he hasn't made a point of it before isn't justified. He's only upset because it exposed his lie, not because it's some kind of breach of trust. And the lie itself was dumb because she already knew he had to draw nudes ocassionaly.

Different people have different boundaries for what can be shared freely and what needs permission, and this "don't look at my paintings" comes entirely out of left field for these two. She's been looking at his paintings without asking all along and he was fine with it.
Exactly.

Senpai isn't defensive because his "privacy got invaded".

Senpai is defensive because he got caught.

Dex-chan lover
If there had been any previous instance of him asking her not to look at the stuff he's working on, I would agree.
Exactly.

Senpai isn't defensive because his "privacy got invaded".

Senpai is defensive because he got caught.
There's been at least one instance where he wouldn't have wanted her looking at certain material in his possession, however early it was.

The things that he doesn't go out of his way show off to her, in general, have not been 100% open to her. She gets that, here, which is why she only opted to viewing the portrait when he was out of sight and didn't tell him that she was doing it as they were talking (compare with the aforementioned instance, which is at the start of chapter 4-- she saw he was hiding something and tried to extract it right out of his hands).

Because of that, I reckon he's defensive for both the reasons you mentioned-- the former, because Nagatoro used to violate his privacy to his face. You're correct in noting that their relationship prior to their dating was built on her transgressing his boundaries, but she never did so behind his back (since that attitude was her defense mechanism that doubled as a way to wheedle herself into the life of a pushover with a modicum of backbone).

Last edited:
One thing I think people forget about Nagatoro is that she get jealous really easily, even if it's just the thought of him being alone with another girl. She does like him, but she can't trust the guy to not fall for anyone else, even if he says otherwise.

You also can't forget what Prez told him about how he can draw well: it comes from love. So that can create some insecurity for him since he can now draw other people as well as he can draw Nagatoro, which can create some sort of mind-screw about him "cheating" on her. Even if he did tell her the truth, she might think the same thing, since they're both new to the whole dating aspect.

Maybe the next chapter will get them to realize that yes, him drawing will include nude subjects besides her, and that she can't potentially get jealous over him hanging out with other women, since it'll prevent him from ever being open with her about what he does.
Finally someone says this. You noticed how she looked at the face first? She didn't start mentioning tits until she was caught.

Double-page supporter
Finally someone says this. You noticed how she looked at the face first? She didn't start mentioning tits until she was caught.
Now that you said it , i noticed that as well after rereading the chapter , also what XaneKudo said is right nagatoro even after all these chapters does get jealous quite easily and despite her character going teasing mode sometimes she started realizing her mistakes in the latest chapters compared to before but again this is just a personal observation of me.

We shall see what's gonna happen next 2 weeks , should be very interesting tbh

Double-page supporter
There's been at least one instance where he wouldn't have wanted her looking at certain material in his possession, however early it was.

The things that he doesn't go out of his way show off to her, in general, have not been 100% open to her. She gets that, here, which is why she only opted to viewing the portrait when he was out of sight and didn't tell him that she was doing it as they were talking (compare with the aforementioned instance, which is at the start of chapter 4-- she saw he was hiding something and tried to extract it right out of his hands).

Because of that, I reckon he's defensive for both the reasons you mentioned-- the former, because Nagatoro used to violate his privacy to his face. You're correct in noting that their relationship prior to their dating was built on her transgressing his boundaries, but she never did so behind his back (since that attitude was her defense mechanism that doubled as a way to wheedle herself into the life of a pushover with a modicum of backbone).
Up until this point there have been no explicit or implicit expectations of privacy around Senpai's art. Him and Nagatoro being open and vulnerable to each other through art has been a recurring theme and something that has built their bond over the course of the manga. There is even less of an expectation of privacy when it comes to art that is, you know, inside the art room. Her opening the art in the art room while Senpai is still in said art room where he will easily see what she's doing can haaaardly be considered "behind his back". She wasn't even being sneaky about it. She was expecting to see "something ordinary" and "like a statue". There were no established or implied boundaries regarding his art, Nagatoro did nothing wrong.

Even Senpai's reaction at the end wasn't some conscious declaration of boundaries, it was him flustered, panicking, trying to get her to drop the topic because she caught him lying.

Dex-chan lover
Her opening the art in the art room while Senpai is still in said art room where he will easily see what she's doing can haaaardly be considered "behind his back". She wasn't even being sneaky about it.
"Wasn't even being sneaky about it"?

She only did it when he wouldn't be able to see her doing it, and she carried a conversation with him without indicating that she was opening the container. Just because her Sneak level is 0 and she was too transfixed by the sketch to remember her situation, doesn't mean she wasn't trying.

• Dumb
Reactions: Tlo
Aggregator gang
"Wasn't even being sneaky about it"?

She only did it when he wouldn't be able to see her doing it, and she carried a conversation with him without indicating that she was opening the container. Just because her Sneak level is 0 and she was too transfixed by the sketch to remember her situation, doesn't mean she wasn't trying.
She only noticed the container after he had left to do the cleaning. That reminded her of their conversation the day before and she asked him what he had drawn. His response was sketchy ("your voice is kinda shrieky, senpai"), which made her curious, so she went and looked at it. She didn't plan to look at it when he wasn't in the room, she looked at it as soon as her curiosity was piqued.

Dex-chan lover
Bwahahahaha. I trust this isn't gonna turn into your typical romcom muh misunderstanding shenanigans (they're already handling it pretty maturely) but it's just so funny to see Nagatoto's jealousy and senpai's wimpiness flaring up like a bonfire. Its not like they stopped being awkward dumb teenagers because they shared a kiss, after all!

Dex-chan lover
She only noticed the container after he had left to do the cleaning. That reminded her of their conversation the day before and she asked him what he had drawn. His response was sketchy ("your voice is kinda shrieky, senpai"), which made her curious, so she went and looked at it. She didn't plan to look at it when he wasn't in the room, she looked at it as soon as her curiosity was piqued.
"Her curiosity was piqued" doesn't change anything about the scenario unless "her curiosity" forced an involuntary and un-premeditated action. She still decided to open the container when he wasn't in the room without indicating that she was moving to do so, in the conversation they were concurrently having.

In the past, she peeked at his art (and other belongings) to his face.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Tlo
Aggregator gang
"Her curiosity was piqued" doesn't change anything about the scenario unless "her curiosity" forced an involuntary and un-premeditated action. She still decided to open the container when he wasn't in the room without indicating that she was moving to do so, in the conversation they were concurrently having.

In the past, she peeked at his art (and other belongings) to his face.
I wouldn't call it "involuntarily", but it was definitely un-premeditated. And their conversation was effectively over at that point. She asked what he drew, he answered vaguely, then they stopped talking altogether. There was no more conversation going on when she went to open the container. So there was no misdirection on her part either. The container was out in the open, and it's purpose is to protect the paintings from damage, not to prevent it from being seen. She's always poking around in the art room while he's busy, he just didn't realize she would see the cilinder and figure out the drawing they were discussing was there.

The real question is, would he have felt his privacy was violated if he had been vague because he thought she wouldn't find it interesting? Like, if it really was just a still life, for example? My interpretation is that he wouldn't have. And had it been anyone other than Nagatoro that opened and looked at it, like the prez or his kohai, he probably wouldn't have been bothered either. He just didn't want Nagatoro to see it, but he couldn't express it because he felt pointlessly guilty.

Fed-Kun's army
Okay, let me add my two cents.

This man was nervous because he is self conscious that Nagatoro sees Macchi as some sort of rival. Trace back to the first time the Elite Four met her. Now, he did not want to disclose the fact that he got to draw another girl naked, much less princess lolita (lucky bastard).

I agree he was awkward and a pushover, but under no circumstances it is okay to see other people's drawings without permission. It could either be a drawing like Macchi's, or a very badly self insert donut steel. She just doesn't respect his privacy.

He shouldn't have brought the drawing to begin with, or should have archived it immediately. Rabies ends when the dog's dead.

Fed-Kun's army
Man, reading this comment section is quite entertaining 🤣

Personally, I think both are at fault here. Not in the way that they should be shunned, but that they are both in what might be their very first relationship, and need time to adjust to each other.

I share the opinion of the other readers, saying that Naoto particularly felt bad because it was his first time drawing a nude while in a relationship. And, he didn't want to risk hurting Nagatoro.

But I also think that, beyond a feeling of jealousy, Nagatoro might be primarily hurt because she takes Naoto's reaction as a lack of trust towards her. That does not mean that she was right to pressure him into answering and rummage through his personal belongings though.

I think that, in a healthy relationship, all parties should have some a sense of trust and consent towards each other, and in real life, one might need to learn it by increments. No one is perfect after all.

Also, can't wait for @Tlo & @Mr.Oblivion to wave the :slap: over my comment lol

Last edited:
Man, reading this comment section is quite entertaining 🤣

Personally, I think both are at fault here. Not in the way that they should be shunned, but that they are both in what might be their very first relationship, and need time to adjust to each other.

I share the opinion of the other readers, saying that Naoto particularly felt bad because it was his first time drawing a nude while in a relationship. And, he didn't want to risk hurting Nagatoro.

But I also think that, beyond a feeling of jealousy, Nagatoro might be primarily hurt because she takes Naoto's reaction as a lack of trust towards her. That does not mean that she was right to pressure him into answering and rummage through his personal belongings though.

I think that, in a healthy relationship, all parties should have some a sense of trust and consent towards each other, and in real life, one might need to learn it by increments. No one is perfect after all.

Also, can't wait for @Tlo & @Mr.Oblivion to wave the :slap: over my comment lol
Good job brah.

You perfectly said what I also had in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread