Slime Saint - Ch. 11 - Eventually Becomes a Butterfly and Flutters Away

Dex-chan lover
Sure. Soon™.

Why would she react that extremely for something she barely knows about?

The slums shrinking isn't necessarily good or bad without further context. If it's shrinking because people are pushed and thrown out, it's probably bad. If it's shrinking because people get better living standards, that's good.

Is a caterpillar so scary she has to flip her shit and everyone else's? How sheltered is she? And she's even a maid...
I think she hadn't really thought of humans that lived in misery at all up until that point, at least not at that scale. Like as you said, we don't know why it is shrinking but Jelly of course didn't catch that nuance at all.

Dex-chan lover
Should we be worried about those sunbeams? It's slightly less funny to see it as a divinity pranking humans to sell the masquerade. The mangaka duo are like a non-canon divinity, though.:finnawoke:

Dex-chan lover
7fRXRgI.png

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if it might be a plot point the the original Lady Jelly's personality starts to try to manifest into our lovely Slime. She seemed to be cruel enough to want to extract vengeance from beyond the grave.

Dex-chan lover
Sure. Soon™.

The slums shrinking isn't necessarily good or bad without further context. If it's shrinking because people are pushed and thrown out, it's probably bad. If it's shrinking because people get better living standards, that's good.

Is a caterpillar so scary she has to flip her shit and everyone else's? How sheltered is she? And she's even a maid...
My guess is that the original meaning was something more like "The slums is getting downsized" (ie, the "government" or whatever is probably reducing the size of the slums because it's an eyesore and don't care much for the people living there) but that doesn't translate well to a short sentance.

That's just my guess based on what I've learned about how japanese and several other asian languages function so I might be way off :p

Dex-chan lover
Sure. Soon™.

Why is it necessary for the manga to spell out which situation it is? It's some version of the former, it's obvious enough, and that's all that matters. Why would the manga have both of them react as if the slums shrinking is a sad and morally terrible thing, if the case is that their living standards are improving? You're just being pointlessly pedantic when it's already self-evident.

As for the maid, I'd say she was more surprised than afraid. You don't see her continue to be freaked out. And even if she is a maid, she clearly comes from a higher social background because she's waiting directly on the Saints. Probably a daughter of skilled tradesmen or merchant family. As a girl, she would still be relatively sheltered, and she would be distinct from servants drawn from worker families and do more menial work like cleaning.

In some societies, the maids who waited directly on the nobles of the house may even be lesser nobility, due to the need for decorum and privacy, and while usually they were called and distinguished as 'handmaidens', sometimes they would wear maid uniforms to indicate their subordination to the working hierarchy within the house, even if they had a higher social status outside the house than say, the head servant. That isn't the case here based on past chapters, but I would highlight how just saying 'she's a maid', doesn't really explain anything.

Is that what the author had in mind exactly? Maybe not, but I have this peeve when people's first reaction is to nitpick something when you can form a perfectly plausible explanation in 5 seconds and put it out of your mind. Like, why didn't the eagles simply carry Frodo to Mt. Doom? Well, why does Tolkien have to spell everything out? Obviously they couldn't...and that's that.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's so funny for me how being a simpleton is associated with purity in so many stories. Having said that, Jelly is the fucking best hahaha

Dex-chan lover

She's not going to eat the caterpillar, is she? She's giving that thing some weird looks...
not sure if caterpillars would taste as good to her in human form (tho i don't think they esp liked it as a slime), but i guess it's good to know if she somehow got separated or dumped on some stranded island she could survive but i'm surprised she wouldn't also pick up trying to learn as well

Dex-chan lover
You're just being pointlessly pedantic when it's already self-evident.
This is coming from someone writing a half page response to some off the cuff reactions. Take a step back to get some perspective.

Maybe not, but I have this peeve when people's first reaction is to nitpick something when you can form a perfectly plausible explanation in 5 seconds and put it out of your mind.
But it's perfectly okay to have as your first reaction to nitpick someone's comments instead of taking five seconds to form a perfectly plausible explanation for why those comments are written and put them out of your mind. As I said, perspective.

Writing comments like the one above is how I enjoy mangas. If that's not to your taste that sounds like a you problem.

Users who are viewing this thread