Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 72 - The Fox And The Raccoon Dog Match Wits

Dex-chan lover
This looks like like the calm before the storm. Which means this arc is going to be good.

Dex-chan lover
If you know, you know. Rakan my bestest mad genius. I think the manga (and especially the recent anime) display him way too villainous but maybe that's just bias of having read ahead.

(Former) consort drip - No wonder his mother can double for her son, both pretty :meguu:

Thanks for the upload!

Contributor
Didn't the mangaka get arrested? How is this still coming out?
I assume you're talking about this.

Nekokurage responded to the allegations on Twitter, claiming that they neglected their tax returns due to ignorance. They added that they paid the taxes and fees in 2022 as a result of not declaring the income after recieving instructions from the tax office. They have also asked a tax accountant for assistance in filing proper tax returns. Nekokurage clarified that this is a personal matter that has nothing to do with The Apothecary Diaries' original light novel series author or anyone else involved in the manga's creation.

An indictment is not an arrest. They simply were charged/accused of the crime and went "look I messed up, I'm working on it with my accountant"

Dex-chan lover
I’m just happy with the reveal that since he can still play go with her, she’s currently still alive and well enough
Uhm well, sorry to disappoint you but by the time Rakan finally bought Maomao's mother she already was beyond the point of being "well enough" to play Go (or do anything really) by normal standards. Her condition is described in chapter 40 (went back and checked) and some earlier chapter(s) iirc. But you're right about her being still alive.

Dex-chan lover
Kitsune and tanuki. No cat.

She knows what bait to dangle.

His perception of people is so weird that you can't know whether he can recognise someone despite disguise.

Rakan really is the kind of person no one can stand, but no one can ask to leave.

A flintlock. Neat.

Speaking in game terms.

If you have to torture someone so much you remove their ability to speak, they were probably not going to give any useful information anyway.

Field snack.

Ah, the real purpose. A game.

Well, it takes a woman to properly cosplay as Jinshi.

"A habit of underestimating her own value."
Well, there is that. And he would know.

No banter. That means it's serious.

So this plot has started for real now.

one of the best arcs from the LN incoming
Featuring character development and plot actually moving forward.

Had he found out about Maomao missing he will destroy everything on his path to her.
Yeah, Jinshi would have a useful ally with him. He's normally a pain, but in that situation, he'd do everything to help.

I do wonder what Jinshi will land at eventually.
Dragon?

Dex-chan lover
Lakan saw through the body double on the spot I would bet, and he definitely did the usual stuff of hiding barbed hints in his usual insane ramblings, and of course he also wanted to talk about Go and his wife. Probably the only who actually wants to her that is the emperor's go instructor.

So if these scary people are a Fox, a Racoon, a Hunting Dog then Maomao's is a Cat. This story likes using animal motifs for various characters. I do wonder what Jinshi will land at eventually.

That was the other manga. This franchise has two manga adaptations.
Since its not the prince, he retasked his priority to digging into the tanuki.

And succeeded in verifying color blindness

Dex-chan lover
Oh this arc looks different from how WN wrote it. Interesting.

Also that tea party is so funny... It is basically parents meeting (Maomao's dad and Jinshi's mom)
Lmao.. and glad that Maomao's mom is still alive and playing Go again

Dex-chan lover
Tense.

It seems someone finally understood Maomao's value in all of this... in a way it took too long, a handmaid being present in all of those incidents and some were very public too... but it could be that "their" movements aren't exactly free, they only got the chance now.

Happy that Rakan is having his loving moments with Fengxian, even if her mind can't entirely consciously interact with her... but I have no doubt he is giving her the best care it can be bought, at least the rest of her life will be comfortable.

But, going back to "them"... how far this "conspiracy" goes? Now we know that the old handmaids are in on it, but even if they are smart and fall in the cracks, the amount of organization this has can't be possible without outside help, the Tanuki clearly is the biggest suspect, but it is too obvious too.

Well... one way or another... now we are all on thin ice, Maomao was finally caught and whatever happens will need a lot of finesse.

Dex-chan lover
If you know, you know. Rakan my bestest mad genius. I think the manga (and especially the recent anime) display him way too villainous but maybe that's just bias of having read ahead.
to be fair when he was introduced, we didn't know who he was and/or what was his goal, so the narrative portrayed him as dubious.
Then we connected him to Maomao's biological dad who abandoned her (without knowing the full backstory) and he was portrayed as villainous, because at that time in the story he was evil/villainous to the narrative and readers' understanding.
But then we knew the full history and what happened to him and Maomao's mother, which basically redeemed him in the narrative.

And now we see him as an ally to Maomao, a lovesick fool for Maomao's mother but he's still very much a sly old fox who's very good at mind games.

So I don't think the manga/anime had portrayed him as "way too villainous", I think they both portray him exactly as how he should appear in each arc.

Users who are viewing this thread