@kltigerm, not sure about US but the news articles that good samaritans lost the legal cases I read about weren't in US, luckily after many cases they did start implementing some adjustments to their legal policies to prevent system loopholes-abuse, didn't dive deep into the technicalities/effectiveness and all similar cases etc though, I did read before the cases of suing in US that the plaintiffs lost. With that said, pretty sure it'd happened before in US just as anywhere else before. Even with the legal protections (US or not), there are still people knowingly trying to sue the involved good samaritans to get money out of it to cover their medical bills, and whether they win or lose their cases is another matter of concern but they'd have already caused lots of damages and distress to the samaritans' life. The cases I read were mostly related to former/off-duty lifeguards, and helping strangers who fell down on the road, the motivations were usually for money...

I do agree with @Zikakuto points though, the case in this story and many cases are not that black-and-white and can be he-said-she-said complicated messy situations (which is why I said it's a mess FL is in) especially when there's no witness (which is why I said some caused lots of damages and distress to the actual samaritans in terms of reputation, time and money to continue the long legal battle). The Queen is actually just doing her job protecting her employee as the boss especially since there's no witness at all so and luckily the scribe is not a bad person (I can totally see such kind of evil characters portrayed by the "heroine" in the "villainess" mangas if you know what I mean lol), but the damage is done. The judgement at the end is questionably unfair though since it should have been cleared by the supposed victim herself and it's an oversight from the employer's part that there's overworking caused by poor HR management and yet there's an unreasonable punishment for FL decided (and so the way I see it is probably that it's a test/trial for FL to prove her abilities to everyone in the palace and gain a firm standing and her backing so that she won't be targeted by other nobles etc if she succeed and have the queen's backing now that this case happened, and if she gives up at least the queen has given some sort of punishment that other nobles wouldn't say she favors a commoner over a noble daughter and traditions and reputations etc yada yada causing some political consequences). It's quite the situation of good intention wrong approach and it's a lesson for FL and it'd be a character development for FL too on her ambitious journey to be the cannot-be-naive-anymore queen of merchant world, and inevitable too in her revolutionary efforts for female/civil rights in the culture and industry while disguising as a male like Mulan. It's a good mini arc albeit frustrating. Generally, a story about a commoner (with no supernatural abilities set in a fantasy world with supernatural things) getting involved in medieval-inspired palace/castle/royalties are inevitably going to get involved in messes because politics and that's very logical for me, and this mini arc is probably just a start, as usually many MCs in other isekai series skip that because they are highly-regarded special beings with special abilities/statuses, or that they are abandoned for unsatisfactory/unexpected special abilities/statuses as summoned beings. The story is gonna get more interesting and I'm excited to read future chps.

With all that said, what I think the most we can do for strangers as average non-professionals is just call for help from relevant official professionals (ambulance, firefighters, police etc), only consider saving after calling for help, get witnesses gathered and acknowledge your approaches, it's really an emergency with short life-saving window, have the right knowledge/steps of CPR or whatever, and in public.

Sorry for the lengthy comment, thanks for reading 😅

I feel like this entire situation would have been voided if Yuri spoke out "I'm a girl". This feels forced as hell.

@Rayster Great comment, I’m very much in agreement.

I found it interesting that even though the staff would be tripled, there would now be a bottleneck where the queen is concerned as she would have to now cope with triple the number of visitors. In my mind, she should appoint arbiters to handle cases she doesn’t need to.

@Zikakuto,
Cheers~ 🥂
Yeah, not sure what's going on in details about their politics/managements, I assume maybe it's due to her general distrust in people as she said in pg30 in chp14, that she could only trust duke Ennon to some extent. She wanted to relay some jobs to him but he didn't want to take up her royal jobs... So yeah, maybe the only arbiter candidate to handle the audience job she can trust to is the duke and no one else but the duke rejected.

@RyoneFuushiba,
She would then jump into another big mess of "lying to the Queen" disguising as a male though, as address as a concern in chp13. It's one thing when the "crime" involves a scribe but it's another that can be blown out of proportion especially by nobles when it involves provable intentional lying to the Queen, which can then spiral into another big mess on top of the already tainted reputation/image caused by this scribe case. The only way she could safely reveal that in future, IMO, is after she gains the Queen's trust and the Queen pushed for socio-cultural and political changes in the society in how the females are treated, or she specifically pardons FL with some conditions for lying due to her great achievements (as in achievements compensate for it), or fake her death as male yuri and debut with another female identity which only a few people know about that may or may not include the Queen and the duke. Maybe there are other ways, but revealing it at the current point in the story in such a disadvantageous position as a commoner without any strong ally/backing or influences/achievements wouldn't go well, IMO🤷.

Seriously though it's kind of the queens fault.Yh she's busy and everything but she should have st least a few guards in that area just to keep guard or have some guard guide yuri there.Also the lady herself said that she knows yuri did it to save her so why on earth is the queen basically trying to make yuri do the impossible and close down a store that had no involvement in it while also gaining all their resources.I mean even ren said she wouldnt do that and she herself said ren has good judgement for people.She seems kind of selfish and I just hope yuri gets through this and shows the queen her place because right now even if the queen isn't wrong she comes across as arrogant.

@Rayster Oh I completely forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder, her decision makes more sense in light of her personality. 🤗

Thanks for the translation! I really like this series but it kinda pisses me off bc of how corsets are portrayed as these horrible things that will squeeze the life out of you. Like, working women were wearing corsets for YEARS. They just didn't tightlace because they still had to work. Hardly anyone tightlaced bc it was so impractical. Corsets were also tailored exceptionally well so many women didn't have the problems that are being portrayed in this story.

Dex-chan lover
@XieShu nope i hate her too, the victim herself already said the mc wasnt guilty but she still setup this ''test''

We've only just barely come to know Valencia and I already want that hellhole to freeze over and for everyone to die. horribly. That place is poison. Leave first chance you get and never look back.

thank you for the chapter! hope this gets picked up again soon. things are getting heated.

Users who are viewing this thread