A Returner's Magic Should Be Special - Vol. 1 Ch. 22

I just finished a class on revolutions, understand unlike in stories the elites who decide to help the common people typically end up being killed by them.
(Not always, George Washington didn't)

This is for several reasons.
1 they're on the "enemy's" side due to their position.
2 they're highly visible because they're hanging around trying to help.
3 attempts at helping are either seen as weakness or bribes (I'll give you money to go away).
4 when things go south, they don't run.

the facts:
there was a revolution 10 years ago.
some commoner called him guilty and another blamed the death of his son on a noble (actual reason of death unknown*)
nobles currently treat commoners like second class citizens.
we don't know what happened before and after the beheading of that one noble.

glad to see a backstory for the rivals.

unknown* could be executed (un)justly, could be honorably fallen in the line of duty, could be negligence higher up causing a needless death

Fim

Since the nobles are still very much in power and alive mostly, we can guess that this revolution 10 years ago failed. We don't know why, but we can guess it's because their combined army had a lot more mages and that the commoners couldn't really compete with that.
At least that would explain why they fear commoners getting good at magic so much, they remember magic prowess was the one difference that saved them.

Aggregator gang
That's how you get another revolution, damn nobles! Off with their heads I say(unless they submit to the will of the people)! Magic guillotines. ?

Dex-chan lover
The pros and cons of a revolution are often debated within the domestic sphere of a nation, as many here see so.
But for foreign powers? A revolution in another country is a delicious once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for expanding your influence.

ohh noooo they dont portray the nobles as one dimensional evil characters, how can my fragile ego every recover from this great disturbance.

Say it with me - Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate, runs in his blood deep.
Hater's Ball Vol 1 - Thanks for the chapter

Yeah, yeah. Revolutionist kill your parents. Think why they try to do so if your mind is not retarded yet.

Double-page supporter
How clever... the commoners led a rebellion killing the nobles, so they decide to oppress the commoners even more after that, yeah that's going to work very well for them in the long run.

Well I guess at a child's POV the commoners are the evil one but if we look at what his father probably did, getting beheaded was still a light punishment.

Double-page supporter
Aw look, entitled spoiled brat-baby hates the commoners for killing his family. The family which no doubt killed dozens, if not hundreds of innocent families for wealth and prestige.

That's a true noble right there. The very concept of justice is poison to them. They can do whatever to the underprivileged, and no one is allowed to fight back.

Dex-chan lover
Dang, the 2 noble antagonist students shown so far, why author have to try to make a emo backstory to excuse them for being poop

Dex-chan lover
I don't believe this is bias @Merilirem. Just circumstantial evidence. We don't have the full picture right now so the gaps are filled in with what we do know. And we know that the son is trash, and all the nobles introduced thus far other than 1 is also trash. Given this, it's a logical assumption.
Is old, but I kinda wanna write up something about it.

There is nothing such as circumstantial evidence. The purpose of an evidence is to prove someone is guilty or not; being circumstantial would eliminate the purpose of an evidence in the first place.

On another hand, being asshole is not a crime. You cannot convict someone for trashtalking you down, for teabagging you in an FPS match, for roping their turn in a turn-based game; however, causing injury to another person unjustly is a reason for crime and can be brought to court.

I like this chapter. It gives the trashy noble nobody a ground for his character and showed some worldbuilding stuff at the same time. He got a reason to do what he does, which makes his character more weighty than the cardboard cutout "generic bad guy that will get beat no. 3". It also gives weight to Desir's plan; he is really going to fight against the system itself as a consequence of "trying to save his beloved ones".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread