5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 10 Ch. 79 - Sisters’ War - Second Battle

Dex-chan lover
finally a MC that tells the girls to shut up and go away when they're in his way

Banned
Okay... I'm just mouthing this off to myself, but judging by what I've seen in the comments... a few things need to be addressed.

The whole thing with the childhood friend / first girl...
See, it used to be that the first girl would always win. It was the standard trope to the point where it got stale and boring and made stories predictable.
And then somewhere along the way someone had the smart plan of letting a different girl win. I think the first story I personally read where this played out was Ichigo 100%... I think.
I'm honestly surprised that it seems to have come full circle already to the point where people think it is a foregone conclusion that first girl can't win. In theory she can, but these days whether first girl does or doesn't win seems to depend on whether the manga is going for a classic / traditional approach or a the not-quite-new approach. There are other options, but pretty much everything falls into one of those two categories.
Next most common is the unresolved ending. The maybe / maybe not unsatisfying horseshit some mangakas pull. The next would be the true new approach: the absolute double-bluff where first girl wins as a result of last-second shenanigans, which is different to the classic way of all non-first girls being gradually phased out. Next after that is the true harem ending, usually reserved as a special ending for visual novels and little else.
And the LEAST likely ending is the genuine everyone loses ending. The one where the MC ends not only alone, but having lost his prospects too... well... unless you count the whole dying-girl genre, but I fucking hate those. And the most extreme form of the "everyone loses" ending is the School Days version... but everyone knows about Nice Boat by now.

... Fun fact... I 100% completed School Days XD. It has a harem ending, but it wasn't as fun as all the bad ends. <3

Anyway... judging by the way this is playing out, Yotsuba seems to have the highest chance of winning simply because the plot seems to be deliberately trying to create the opposite impression. She is playing good girl, she is the dumbest but also the friendliest, and she is actively trying to remove herself from romantic situations while most of the others are trying to push into such things. And that in spite of the fact we all know she wants to win. Classic underdog victory scenario.
Nino is coming on too strongly, which might mean success in the short-term but very little in terms of long-term prospects. Ichi probably never had a chance from the start since, despite them all being quins, she was the eldest and presented herself as such... and those sorts pretty much never win. Miku probably won't win because her affection is passive and unwavering, which doesn't make for good drama.
Itsuki is an odd case since for the most part she seems to have romantically sidelined herself. That is to say she is the only one who hasn't really expressed any clear romantic interest in the MC to him nor any of the others. But she hasn't expressed clear disinterest in a while either... And people are writing her off because of the whole "first girl" thing. I'd say she has the second highest prospects so far.
... Also I don't want her to "win". Glasses Itsuki is mine, bitches. =p

At this point it became really obvious it was Yotsuba. Starting from the Labor day arc and also the Seven goodbyes arc she and Itsuki are the only one that acts suspicious since there is something that always hinder their conversation with Fuutarou. Negi really did a good job in highlighting the other quints to throw everyone out the scent.

Dex-chan lover
so the person pretending to be the girl he met 5 years ago is itsuki? or is she actually itsuki???? only time will tell

I haven't finished it yet but yotsuba has my utmost respect for being the only one who hasn't fallen for futaro.

Dex-chan lover
watched the anime ep adapting this chap like 2 hrs ago and they sent that Rena scene to the shadowrealm

Users who are viewing this thread