5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 7 Ch. 54 - Fools’ Battle

Dex-chan lover
Maybe the father would have a more stable moral high ground that was not a sheer cliff if he was also actually being a parent. Fuutarou was the one that helped the girls with their individual issues. Their father did not even know that Itsuki and Nino that fought and ran away from home (strange he didn't mind those expense account charges for her stay in an obviously-not-cheap hotel room for however many days ordering room service...). And even when the god damn TUTOR brings it up saying that he is failing to tutor the girls because he also has to play the role of the father... the father still is too busy to come home and be a parent. Or have someone there that actually has his authority to be guardian in his stead.

Quintfather may be right on some individual points, but he is also being an egotistical ass that still seems upset that a high schooler who also doubled as a tutor had to tell him that he needs to raise his damn kids because he can't do it for him. I think he knows that Fuutarou was right about that and it pisses him off that he has nothing to say to defend himself. Although it did surprise me in his offer of letting Fuutarou come back on as a tutor-assistant with another person he'd hire to help tutor them. Which seems like a good idea, but then again, it could easily just be Fuutarou there in name only with no actual ability to help the girls and the tutor just taking over and doing as the father wishes.

Either way, I think everyone has to admit that the father is trying to have his cake and eat it, too. Fuutarou might only be a high schooler, might only be a tutor and might only be an outsider... But he also put in the work that the father was unwilling to put in and did far, far outside his job description. Quintfather can't be taken seriously when he now wants to play parent despite being AWOL this entire time. Don't get me wrong, it's his right to do so, but teenagers are going to laugh in your face if you try and pull that shit.

@definitionofinsanity

> "And even when the god damn TUTOR brings it up saying that he is failing to tutor the girls because he also has to play the role of the father... the father still is too busy to come home and be a parent."

You get it. See, that's the part that will always keep me from saying the father is anywhere near the word 'good'.

The first component of being a good parents is being there. It's understandable if you are a single parent and you need to get a babysitter or put your children in daycare if you need to earn money to have the essentials for your family. What isn't okay is being as much as a ghost or a voice through a telephone to your children. Lots of people have cited throwing money at your children as the root of many problems and they couldn't be more right.

The Quint Girls are partially in the situation they are in because their father seems to be able to get them transferred and create solutions to their academic problems that most other kids would never have the option to execute. He brings that up super casually in the very conversation that has spawned all of this debate and back and forth. It's one of the first thing the father considers when his girls run into a roadblock: bailing them out.

Of course a parent is going to want to bail out their children if they can, protect them, save them, whatever they can do. That's reasonable, that's understandable. But, at a certain point not allowing your children to learn from their failures and mistakes is doing them much more harm than it is good.

Uesugi has said it best many times:

"I think more than a tutor right now the girls need their father."

"This is a time where a father should step up and help his children."

"Every failure is a stepping stone towards success."

-----

In short, Uesugi has been a blindingly positive light in the girls' lives. Whether he realizes it or not he IS acting as somewhat of a father figure to them. He took on a very high paying job but that job was very demanding and unusual in many non-professional ways. Things were unprofessional working both ways but I think that's to be expected of tutors and students who are classmates and the same age. That can be overlooked. What can't be overlooked is that the father actually expected him to get real results when the girls needed something more than a tutor alongside their academic coaching / tutoring: a parent... or at the very least a goddamn counselor.

Can't delete this -- sorry. I LOVE THIS SERIES and I love all of you commenters too <3 smooches

Dex-chan lover
>one of every sandwich please

goddammit negi, fatsuki was just supposed to be a meme

oh well, let's roll with it

So that's what the chocolates are for, huh? I agree with Miku. Why?

If I remember correctly, Papa isn't their biological father. Adds some plausibility to the neglect.

SJ7

Fed-Kun's army
Nino and Fuutarou already holding hands in public and grocery shopping together. Also bathe together regularly. Nino win imminent.

Aggregator gang
Am I a fucking moron for not recognizing the doctor, even though I made specific note of him in a previous comment as I read this?

If anyone sees this, no matter how far flung into the future, please let me know.

Dex-chan lover
Just once could there be a girl's father who was both controlling and the good guy? Is there no room left in the japanese mind for patriarchy? mangas love to demonize the idea of fathers controlling their daughters as they should

Users who are viewing this thread