5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 9 Ch. 72 - The Rumour About the Class Reps

Double-page supporter
@GreenMoriyama

Yeah it's either Yotsuba or Itsuki for me as young-Rena though who knows if present-Rena is the same girl? Heck my preferred theory is that while Yotsuba was young-Rena and was the hidden listener to Fuutarou and Itsuki's conversation but Itsuki dressed as Present-Rena to cheer him up since they seem good-ish friends when they aren't fighting. Itsuki always has that ahoge so a hat to disguise it (and to make sure the wig stays on in case of a sudden gust of wind) makes sense.

Though unless she's lying about it I kinda count Itsuki's response of not remembering if she bought the charm or was given it as a mark against her being young-Rena.

So, right now i would like to try to explain what's exactly Yotsuba's standing in this "hexagonal love" from my opinion :

If you ask me "do you think she's in love with Fuutarou?" then my answer is no, because her feelings cannot be explained with "love" only. (kinda like Haruki and Sakura in kimi no suizou if u get what i mean)

She's not even trying to love Fuutarou imho. i think it's because there's a very high chance that she's Rena, which means she already knew him from 10 years ago (which explains why she's trying so hard to make everyone know how great he actually is, and being the first one to show no hostility towards Fuutarou)

So if she's indeed Rena, why didn't she aim for Fuutarou? I think it's because they're quintuplets and she knew from the start that if her siblings knew Fuutarou's kind side they all would fall in love with him eventually

And lastly, is she the one who kissed Fuutarou back then? my answer is no, 100% since if she did that then this chapter makes no sense at all. but i honestly think she's not out from this competition either. she got a dark horse vibes to be real

Aggregator gang
Why the fuck you guys talking as if whoever is Reina will be the bride.

@donm527 Negi said he wants to end it not long after we got all the white dress covers in the interview not long ago. As Yotsuba have quite a bunch of small chapters and Fuutarou doesn't necessarily have love interest for any certain girl, It still can be anyone at this point.

@KoreJi Actually Yotsuba still have formal tone when she says not happening to the girls (I didn't catch that she actually speaks differently toward others up till now tho).
Fuutarou says "Arienai daro" and Yotsuba says "Nai yo, ariemasen". Basically Fuutarou said it in more harsh manner.

@exkinkin It's weird because for me, this chapter actually brings up Yotsuba in my list as the girl who kiss Fuutarou. I mean, she often play around with Fuutarou and we just never know whether she is serious or not. And then in this chapter, we got to see how strong her perception and how she actually putting on some facades in front of Fuutarou.

Double-page supporter
Yotsuba needs some love, poor pure girl, she wholeheartedly supported Fuutarou from the start and she gets this treatment after what she has done.

If possible, I really want the last page to be translated to Japanese and send it to twitter or something, it's what I really feel right now.

@421cookies imo if she's indeed the one who kissed Fuutarou, i think she wouldn't get shy and try to deny it when the girls are talking about possibilities whether they're going out (at least not on that way. she thinks of herself as someone 'lower' than Fuutarou, not equal. thus it makes no sense if she did kiss him imo). I view Yotsuba as the purest of the quintuplets, and i don't think she's daring enough to kiss Fuutarou when she knew that her siblings are in love with him

Negi said he wants to end it not long after we got all the white dress covers in the interview not long ago. As Yotsuba have quite a bunch of small chapters and Fuutarou doesn't necessarily have love interest for any certain girl, It still can be anyone at this point.

also i am quite curious about this statement. does this means that we're nearing the ending?

@421cookies
So, its around 3 vols?
Since latest 2 get wedding covers.

So, that means only 3 arcs left.
If we compare to other vols, which have atleast 10 chapters in it.
Series gonna end on 100+- chapter.
I feeling a bit sad, wanna moar of this series.

Aggregator gang
@exkinkin Well, it could be just her usual exaggerating things as a joke. And as I said, she being pure could just be her being sneaky. It could be that one confession back in when Fuutarou get poisoned by Miku's food is actually real feelings but she retort it cause your idea of how she see Fuutarou as a greater being. So yeah, her chance in this war is not low to zero.

@Zerael I'm not sure how Negi phrase it again (it's a video interview and it's a hassle to find where he talks about it since it's long) but, iirc he said "I'm start thinking how many volumes left to write back when Ichika's cover volume rolls out" or something like that. Also he said something like this year's will be more on how Fuutarou feel about the girls.
https://youtu.be/mWqO3n-ejhY the interview if you want to watch it

@421cookies

Again, I apologize because I am not fluent in japanese myself. But let me clarify that through mettheuser123 explanation:

“The words are the same just different forms.

Fuutarou: "Arienai daro", "ne-yo"

Yotsuba: "Ariemasen", "nai yo"

The point here being that Yotsuba normally does not speak like this. Negi has set up a very nice parallel for us to compare and contrast by having the 2 classmates harass Yotsuba on 2 separate occasions about the same issue.

Yotuba's response the first time was: "Osore Ooi!" which is much more consistent with her characterization till now.

"Ariemasen" and "nai yo" are rather blunt and informal answers like " Yup" or "Nope" which is uncharacteristic for Yotsuba as she always uses more formal speech like "Osore Ooi!" which is more rigid like "I fear you are mistaken." Especially the "nai yo" is very Fuutarou-ish. "Nai desu" would have been more Yotsuba like.

This would be harder to pick up for english only readers as there is no strict concept of polite/casual speak in english but it sticks out like a sore thumb in japanese because it is almost too formal for a teenage girl to be speaking to her friends in this manner and it comes across as kind of emotionally distant.

to conclude it..
Her "Ariemasen" is kind of ambiguous but her use of "nai yo" is plenty informal. I would expect at least something like "nai desu" if she tried to keigo-ify it or even reply with a proper sentence like "Sonna koto nai desu" instead of shooting them a one word answer. The "yo" suffix comes across as too aggressive to be considered polite i think.“

All of these are not mine, but I believe it would be important to share it here

@421cookies
Thank you for reply and for the interview.
As a far my japanenglish go, the moment we need is on 13:13.
And as a much I get, Negi says that he start thinking how manga should end on 7 vol (Ichika cover).
So as you said before, manga wont gonna end untill all covers with wedding dresses come out (since its would be weird to see only Ichika and Nino Wedding covers, obviously), but its also doesnt mean that manga will end shortly after we get those wedding covers. Oh well, not very infromative, I know.

So next cover will be Miku's.

Dex-chan lover
Yotsuba, reminding once again, why she's the best girl.
And before you Miku worshippers argue with me, nothing can change my opinion on this.

Aggregator gang
Oh god episode 5 is so good. Idk why but I feels like Ichika haven't got any better arc since that fireworks arc.

@KoreJi
I see. I'm not sure what 'osore ooi' means either previously but, from what i found in twitter it seems like a mean to say self unworthyness for something. Another thing to add, the suffix (or whatever you call it, I don't learn language formally) 'yo' isn't only about representing formality, it's also represents emotion behind it. I'm not sure how to phrase it because my vocabulary is shit but, you can surely feel more sadness or despair in 'nai yo' as in her sentence rather than how she would normally say 'nai desu'. Again my vocab is bad so I'm not sure if it's conveyed properly.

@Zerael
Yeah, can't expect it to be that far when he already said "how many volumes to go" though.

Double-page supporter
Miku needs to confess ASAP, or else she will have a long road ahead.

@421cookies ... what about the chapters where Ichika was shooting a scene at the cafe Fuutaro worked? Him catching her studying and then complementing her at the end when she was sleeping. Nice moment. They also had the nice moment when they were on ski vacation and locked in the building. That's why I was saying they elsewhere Ichika and Fuutaro has had more moments together and more development than the others.

Dex-chan lover
yes ready yotsuba arc! for me currently the romance points leaderboard is
0. Mystery
1. Nino
2. Miku, Ichika
3. Itsuki, Yotsuba

it might be my memory's problem but yah... for me rena can only be possibly Ichika and Itsuki... and this chapter yotsuba's supporting looking role made her look like she fit but based on the scramble egg chapters yotsuba is a lil dumb so acting like that (dramatic) does not seem fit... or maybe that is also an act idk... currently im mostly on nino side just because of how sweet she has been being... also yotsuba because of how nice her personality is :shrug for the others they r nice too but idk

Users who are viewing this thread