Double-page supporter
"he prefers to be careless."

You're enemies and he took your warning into consideration, be satisfied with that.

Dex-chan lover
it's not a water attack it's a light attack. If you've ever seen those fresnel lens solar cookers, a one meter square lens easily ignites anything at it's focal point practically instantly. This is the same thing but with an area dozens if not hundreds of times larger and using the droplets like fiber optics to bend it.

Dex-chan lover
I am curious about how will anime depict this scene. Since the anime clearly look queues directly from the LN, not the manga.

@Yautja
I don't get your complaint, he uses water spirit magic for the lenses and that's the extent of it being "magical", after all it's supposed to be non-magical "physics magic" that just uses light in a way calculated by Great Sage to "naturall" hit the targets without the beams having any magicules in them - that's the whole purpose of that magic. If it was more magical it would lose its most important perk. I hope the next chapter explains that, since this was obviously just the first salvo.

Group Leader
Wow, that's actually more brutal than I thought it would be.
I mean, destroying that cocky brat face over and over again isn't nice, but the slow, silent and unexpected death of a whole army.... Chilling.
Nice!

Dex-chan lover
@GreyZone

after all it's supposed to be non-magical "physics magic" that just uses light in a way calculated by Great Sage to "naturall" hit the targets without the beams having any magicules in them - that's the whole purpose of that magic.
Yes, and it is bs. Riddle me this: what kind of lens do you need to instantly vaporize metal by just focusing sun rays? I am impatiently awaiting the data from the calculations and an empirical proof of concept, cause the author sure as hell didn't do it.

Double-page supporter
@Greyzone
Then you didn't read it. It's a ridiculously convenient, bordering on contrived spell and they didn't offer a good enough explanation in either the LN or WN, at least as far as I remember. And checking up on the wiki:
This magic uses Spirit Magic to create small water droplets shaped by Water Elementals to create lenses that focus light into laser beams that are deadly to humans even at Rank A like Folgen. Smaller water droplets are then used as mirrors to redirect the lasers toward the targets.

This process is very energy efficient the attack itself uses no Magicules, Natural Energy, or Spirit Particles, so any anti-magic barriers are entirely useless against the beams.
This is the explanation for the spell. It'd be one thing if this water was explained to be ten thousand times more efficient than regular water at refracting and amplifying light, but the point remains, there was no explanation given and if it's regular water managed by spirits, regardless of whatever genius is organizing the light, this outcome is impossible. It's based on real science, but expanded to a ridiculous point; the magic was never expanded upon enough to justify what the story did.

The point is I think this magic should
A)Be consistent with in-world logic, and since this manga is using real physics as an explanation, it should be consistent with real physics. But since this is impossible with real physics, it should have been clearly twisted and explained with magic to make it possible.
B)It's ridiculously overpowered and lazy since it's "very energy efficient the attack itself uses no Magicules, Natural Energy, or Spirit Particles, so any anti-magic barriers are entirely useless against the beams." and therefore irritating from a story standpoint. It's the perfect spell that appeared out of nowhere and it has very few downsides.

It has a huge ass downside of only working during perfect sunny weather and being blocked by primitive physics barriers though.

@criver
>This is not physics, this is all out fantasy delusions.
Wow, a magic being magical, what a revelation.

Dex-chan lover
@agmik The whole point of this plot device was that it doesn't require some amazing magic but abuses physics. Which however is bs. Aka the author wanted to have the MC beat the army through his "intelligence" and not relying on something OP, unfortunately he seems to not have predicted that some readers may have an iq higher than 40. Truly unfortunate.

@criver You lost me at intelligence not being OP, as in having a strong AI supercomputer in your brain is not OP AF. Your whole argument doesn't make sense.

The physics was used because enemy was relying on anti-magic barriers. Why? Because they believed monsters can only use magic. It's that simple.

Dex-chan lover
@agmik Not relying on something as obviously OP (like some nuke magic or whatever) if you prefer, but rather on the MC's "ingenuity". There was a context to my statement:

The whole point of this plot device was that it doesn't require some amazing magic but abuses physics.

As in, nowhere do I imply that the "super AI" is not broken, it's just not brute force like a magic nuke. Not to mention that for a supposedly "super AI" it seems pretty stupid.

My whole argument is that this is simply not how physics work. If it doesn't make sense to you, I suggest you try modeling a lens from water, that can instantly vaporize steel.

@criver I bet you can do that with a lens a kilometer in radius. You can't do that in real life, of course. That's the magic part of it.

>nowhere do I imply that the "super AI" is not broken

Then you were just wrong. Because then your words, have the MC beat the army through his "intelligence", mean that it was the MC who came up, developed and performed the magic. Which is false, because it was all done by the Great Sage.

>The whole point of this plot device was that it doesn't require some amazing magic but abuses physics.

It abuses the unique skill. Does this make you happier now?

Users who are viewing this thread