Group Leader
Highest respect for this scanlation team, they got bars.
I wouldn't even be mad if I were TLing this for Sexy Akiba Detectives because this chapter seems like my worst nightmare.

Power Uploader
fancy rhymes
fancy rhymes
YOU DRESS WEIRD!
...*crack*...

You can hear the sound of his heart break.

@monochrome_scholar First it's fairly disrespectful to not ask and just snipe as I recall. The problem with sniping is that usually the most groups that were originally doing it go for quality for the tl over quantity. People have lives besides translating, and usually this isn't or even doesn't make money for them to have a stable living. When other groups just snipe and release shitty quality scans but faster, it will eat away from the original scan group views, the chapter they were scanning is either scrapped, rushed out, or released later when people are already done resding it. It seriously doesn't feel good when you put out good quality scans but no one reads it cause some other group shitted out some dogshit scan and all your effort goes into the trash., This group is an exception in terms of quality. BUT this group has a pretty bad track record, and according to some JB-affiliated who is known to be extremely scummy and especially off of yesterdays drama. Snipe groups sometimes don't continue with the series and it's happened before. Overall it's just extremely scummy to snipe an actively translated series. I get that people like it released quick but if this happened often to other series, people will lose motivation to translate usually for free (unless a big group)

Fed-Kun's army
@Xeli
Quite frankly just as I said earlier, harsh as it may sound I don't give a shit about any of those reasons, those are all the problems of, and responsibility of the scanlation teams. Like I said in my original comment, we aren't talking about some rushed, low quality scan released within a day of another scan of the same chapter, we are talking about a reasonably high quality scan of a chapter that (if this series still releases weekly) had been out for a minimum of three weeks, during which time the original scanlators hadn't touched the series, and yet had clearly worked on other series in the interim. You can give the argument of "they don't make money from the scans" or "people have lives outside of translating", but those are simply excuses. They don't make money from scans? So? That was never the point of scanlating, nor should it be. If you decide to translate a series of your own volition, hopefully because you have some love for said series, but you neglect to scanlate it in a timely manner whether that be because you've decided to pick up too many other series simultaneously and lost focus, or because you have "lives besides translating", then you shouldn't be surprised when you get the rug pulled out under you by people who aren't as patient, and if another group translating a few chapters you're slacking on is enough to make you, as you say, "lose motivation to translate", then how much love did you really have for the series in the first place? I'm sick of scanlators starting a series and then making poor excuses for why they couldn't see it through. If you start something, have the fucking resolve to finish it, or leave it to someone who will.

@Monochrome_Scholar I understand that quick chapters is good and all but it's overall not healthy for the scene from my experience reading. And of course they would lose motivation. Why would people focus on doing good quality translations just to have someone release what feels like a google translated scan that had no proof reading? Imagine being in their place and translating a chapter the moment it releases but you want it to look good but then someone pops out and releases way before you? Most people don't reread the same chapters because it's a waste of time. https://mangadex.org/title/43292/the-duchess-with-an-empty-soul . This is a good example of constant grammar errors. I'm not saying that all snipers are automatically doing shit scans. But most that just aim for the views while shitting out half assed scans doesn't feel right. It's like if your teacher graded you on how fast you did your test and didnt care if your answers were right or not. I did say that this was an exception where everything has shown to be fairly good quality so far but it's seriously scummy and this is one of the only cases of good quality snipes I've seen from reading.

Fed-Kun's army
@Xeli
Don't get me wrong, I despise shit quality scan jobs. Hell, there are some otherwise high quality scans that I can't stand due to a lack of proofreading and grammar errors. The simple fact, howerver, is that you need to acknowledge the context of this example. This is not a common "sniping" job, and while it may indeed be something of an exception to the rule, it doesn't change the fact that looking at this case in a vacuum, the original scanlators were weeks behind and (according to their page on here) working on other projects with seemingly no indication of when the series would continue, the number of untranslated chapters were growing, and a decent quality scanlation group willing to put in some effort were essentially keeping the series up to date in the meantime. I see no reason why this effort shouldn't be celebrated outside of ego and the illusion of ownership or claim to the series. If you truly care about a series, you should be happy it's getting translated well. A bunch of series, at least until recent years, never got translated into English at all. So if I am getting more of a series I care about, and the scan job is good quality, why should I care who's doing it? This isn't about them, I'm not here for them, I'm here for the text.

Users who are viewing this thread