@wataru a rule against sniping can't be enforced in Mangadex (or any other aggregator website) because technically, scanlation itself is sniping from the original artist. To truly enforce that rule will just be like erasing the whole website itself lol.

I'm mainly just here for the great story and for the manhwa.
10/10 shitshow

So the entire community should pay because of the stupidity of some people?
It's sad but If what has happend to DnA is the Truth, no wonder they are pissed off.

PROPOSITION :
And in the first place, is it possible to Make a "monopolizer"? Like If a team begin to translate a manga, they should been the only one having the rights to post updates, unless they signal that they are giving up, or that they have cessed all activities in the past three months, or that a majority of followers have voted to disband their monopole? I know nothing about programming :€

I know that we are all pirates here, but we should have some common rules in front of the spoils of war.

With something like that, you could protect the website from wild uploads, give credit for the translators while giving the public a way of Acting. (Sorry for the engrish).

Awww such a touching scene!

Ignore the others!!! And ppl keep giving us these wonderful chapters~~~ mean people who bash on others’ hard work are not needed

Dex-chan lover
More scans for a manga means more variety and resilience against rage quitting (*cough JB cough*). I'll read the quick, medium quality scans initially and do my re-reads on the more polished scans so I certainly value the extra effort that goes into producing those higher quality works.

Besides, everyone is sniping from the source so morally anti-snipers have no ground to stand on. If you need money that bad then either do a good enough job that the market rewards such behavior or stop doing it with the expectation of renumeration. You are certainly not entitled to profit off of nor monopolize pirated goods, no matter how much work you put into it.

@Thifa didn't think of it like that, but you're right (duhh). fair! i mostly translate game stuff so this part's a bit out of my understanding. would it still be in that realm of illegality if groups explained what sniping is on their group websites/whatnot though?

People of the world . I have no idea why u enjoying skipping chapters while reading. Do u not feel irritatEd seeing all this useless drama.

If you have time to waste then help yourself with those random translations. To read a chapter we spend 5 minutes, on contrary you spend at least two or three hours of your time to get a chapter ready.

@wataru I agree with you. D&A were childish

Mangadex should have an age check because these guys can't be adults. Not with this childish behaviour.

@wataru I don't really know about that, because I myself mostly just translates fanfictions lol, but I'm pretty sure "sniping" is already an open secret in "the scanlation world". This is not the first series I see getting a "sniping drama", though definitely the first one which drama escalated so much.

Personally, I honestly don't quite get how scanlation team is mad about getting the series sniped when we're all literally illegal here lol. Except maybe about the lost time done doing redrawing and typesetting, but hey, they choose to do it without anyone forcing them, so they can't really complain about that too....

Dex-chan lover
@fuyuhakai

Then you'd have to ban 99% of the userbase too.

@Thifa
I honestly don't quite get how scanlation team is mad about getting the series sniped when we're all literally illegal here lol.
It's an ego thing, as obvious by the childish outbursts. Though they are not entirely wrong tbh - see the childish counter-reactions in the comments - the
entitled brats in the comments would surely benefit from a reality check.

@Thifa i see, yeah, i've seen this happen sometimes but i've seen way more people admit they never knew about any of this. i, myself, had no idea it went on until last year? this is definitely the worst run of it i've seen too.

i agree, though, this is all illegal and we're all skirting a very thin line. imo, it's definitely a little entitled seeing as i'm certain the original creators put in a thousand times more work in the first place. i guess it should just be, as well, an "unspoken" acknowledgement that if you're going to scanlate/translate, you might as well bite down and accept sometimes you might get sniped by people who don't know and just live with it. this all just seems so excessive for what is essentially so minimal in the whole world.

but thank you for letting me know that initial detail about not being able to make a rule of it! 😊

Double-page supporter
Poor Ivona, even with scanlations she get no break.

@LeRyzz that sounds good in theory, but i'd bet it'd be a whole other can of worms if a group disappeared and forgot to release their "hold" on the work. i imagine if that happened, and another group inevitably had to bother the mods with a request to forcibly release the hold, there's a risk no matter how long it's been that the initial group might come back and insist they never "gave up the right" to working on it. the blame might inevitably fall onto the mods' laps or something, "abuse of power" or other. i doubt it's worth the stress for the mods. the voting via fans would possibly also be abused.

your english is fine, btw!

@LeRyzz
The big scan teams have always wanted "rights" over series so nobody else can scan them, the site is never going to agree to it because it would destroy it.
Long ago there were lot of scan teams on lots of small sites that translated whatever they like. Then the aggregators copied all their stuff and took all their traffic and credit.
So they created sites like Batoto and later this site that allows groups to post in a central place where they get credit and traffic instead of everybody just going to the aggregators.
MD does not own the Scanlation community and never has, telling groups what they're allowed to translate or post is the equivalent of Youtube giving one person rights over posting reviews on a specific game, people would just find a better site that doesn't have that kind of favortism.
The small groups would leave, the big groups wouldn't care, but would inevitably fail to keep traffic because they aren't actually good enough to carry the entire site themselves like they think they can. New people would be scarred to come in because the big groups would have too much power and influence and they'd actively discourage newcomers.

Those rules would never work:
With 3 months per chapter a single group could shut down every significantly popular series on this site, most people wouldn't even remember what happened in the last chapter after that long. Spoilers would be rampant since they would be dozens of chapters behind the raws, and imagine if it was a weekly series, it would be completely ruined 100s of chapter behind. Lots of big groups want their name on different series out of pride, doesn't mean they're concerned with actually translating them.
Half the time groups don't even announce they're dropping a series so you'd be looking at 3 months just for people to realize they dropped and consider picking it up.
What if their translations are barely legible, do they still get priority over someone who wants to do a better job?
What happens when a likely popular new series is announced and several people want it? Does everybody just rush for rights the day its announced? Do they flip a coin? Doesn't seem like a very fair way of doing it.
I feel like this kind of system would be ripe for corruption on the part of the site admins who may favor certain groups.
How would people vote to disband them if they aren't allowed to see the alternative? Nobody is going to vote to just end a series with no alternatives.
Some groups don't like to post under an official name, and it's safer for them not to realistically, are they now forced too?

Everything is "wild" uploads, the only thing special about these bigshot groups is their pride or in some cases the money they make. They inevitably disappear one day when they get bored like every other group. The only thing that sustains the community is fresh teams cycling in after the old ones burn out.

The way it's always been done is the best possible way, if a group feels too stressed and pressured and aren't having fun, they should take a break from scanning or quit completely.
A group being dozens of chapters behind the raws was a perfectly valid reason to snipe.
If you have an old man driving in front of you on the road going 10Mph you don't sit behind him and wait 2 hours to get home with a major traffic jam, you pass him. If he was the only one on the road then sure nobody would need to pass him and nobody would care.

People are too quick to throw away a free and equal system in favor of some kind of dictatorship where the admins tell people what they're allowed to work on for free.

I could almost understand a rule against posting out of obvious malice like this chapter, but even that would be too easy to corrupt and exploit so I wouldn't actually vote for it, prefer it to just stay open and free for all.

@wataru While I say it is an open secret, that doesn't meant everyone also immediately know about it. If there are "snipers" says that they did not know about "the unspoken rule against sniping" then chances are bigger that they really did not know about it. I myself just know about this "rule" last year when I joined a discord server of a scanlation team that talked not only about sniping drama, but also social media drama (chapters posted in social media)...

Users who are viewing this thread