Just going out on the record here and saying they aren't literally light speed, since I know some rube is gonna use that panel in a versus thread somewhere. It's just that crazy shit anime characters say when they're duking it out.

Dex-chan lover
interesting that he bulked up so much, and now slimmed down... I wonder where his "natural" weight actually is?

When I first saw him, I thought el dorado was gonna job. Now I have a feeling Gaolang is the jobber.

Seems like Carlos' main power gimmick is that through enduring an extremely torturous weight loss program and intensive training, his punches are now not only fast enough to be described as "Faster than Light" (probably an exaggeration from Carlos himself, due to him previously calling Gaolang's punches as "lightspeed"), the velocity his punches have makes it so that they all retain the same amount of power (maybe even more powerful) as the punches he had back in his Heavyweight days.

Seems like Gaolang's gonna job, unfortunately.

P.S. He kinda reminds me of Rikiishi from Ashita no Joe for some reason lol.

Double-page supporter
What baffles me is that they say "he was on the brink of becoming the first undisputed heavyweight champion in history"

That's ridiculous.

There have been *loads* of undisputed HW champions. There weren't even any *non* undisputed HW champions until we started getting multiple sanctioning bodies.

Dex-chan lover
kaolang and karlos look like clones , lol : tanned skin , black hair , same eye-brows .

karlos 's nicknames are so wrong : he is a mexican , while el dorado was a native american who lived in brazil , the colony of portugese . and don juan was a spanish .

page 7 : the 2 clones ryuki and masaki are getting friendly , lol .

page 13 : a china girl is named shiina , lol .

- my punch is faster than light , you cant see it .
- actually , the artist was just too lazy so he didnt draw the punch , lol .

Dex-chan lover
@Sigilbreaker26
Let’s pretend history is different here and that there were other superhuman boxers in this world’s history that prevented anyone from becoming the undisputed HW champion before Carlos. I mean, given that Carlos, Gaolang, and Okubo exist. ‘Course, there are guys like that one guy Cosmo bodied who was supposed to be considered equal to Okubo in the public sphere, but that doesn’t mean all of them are.

@Skorneful
Remember that Agito was weaker than he was when he fought Gensai when he fought Gaolang. Agito wondering if Carlos here has reached “that” level is because Carlos seems to have achieved the level of being able to preempt his opponent at the point they’ve decided to make their attack, meaning he’s not simply just reacting fast like murdercop does.

I know we're talking about Carlos and Gaolang, but I've been reading Kengan Ashura again, and I've thought of something relating to Julius Reinhold. The time he's been together with the rest of the fighters, he's never really said or done much. We've seen him eat, sit, and walk, nothing more, and it makes me wonder if he really has any motivation to fight here. What if his lack of motivation greatly affects how he fights, in a somewhat similar fashion to Hatsumi Sen? Remember back in the Annihilation Tournament, he won round one by having Meguro and Nikaido Ren force Murder Music's CEO to forfeit, even though everyone knows Julius would have destroyed Sawada Keizaburo. You'd expect Hayami to let Julius fight a match he's heavily favored to win, to lessen the amount of foul play to be accused of, but what if Hayami fixed the match to accommodate for Julius? The only times we've seen him fight is 1) against Sawada after the "match", when he was being a pain in the ass for them and annoyed Julius to the point that he nearly killed Sawada, 2) against Wakatsuki, the one man whose strength has rivals his own, and I imagine Julius has a one-sided rivalry against Wakatsuki, and 3) during Toyo Electric's coup, in which he realized he was betrayed and wanted to get back at Hayami. He has had solid motives each time we've seen him fight. When I see Julius at Purgatory, he's quiet, doesn't seem to care too much about it, and is really only there because Muteba figured Julius'd be better than him with Purgatory rules. Muteba owes Togo Tomari for forfeiting during the annihilation tournament, but Julius doesn't owe her anything. Gaolang even mentioned in chapter 57 that there is a lack of conviction in the Kengan Association's lineup, and in the very next panel they show Julius. Although, this theory is weak against the fact that Julius has had 51 wins and no losses before the Annihilation Tournament. It's just a thought I had while making breakfast.

Double-page supporter
@KeiosKod

You don't understand, it's *literally* impossible since there had to be a point in time where there weren't multiple sanctioning bodies and whoever was champion would just be flat out undisputed

@0takuDragonSlayer @Davy0
You guys are super old school. I mean Like Wilt Chamberlain old school, where they thought basketball players get "Muscle bound" and thus they would be faster if they looked like track stars. This was disproven A LOOOOOONG time ago. Muscle mass in the legs increases speed. It's not a video game where you pump up your muscle mass and your speed slider goes down. Muscles are responsible for every movement the body makes, and the greater the muscle mass, the greater the force it can apply. It's literally just the most basic of physics. It's not something that "balances out" (10lbs of muscle negated by 10 lbs of muscle weight), considering there are a million other factors that factor in like your nervous system. For example, optimizing the capacity for muscle contraction based on repetitive use and excitation of motor neurons. Basically, muscle coordination.

I'm not even trying to be mean or anything, this is one of the first questions any amateur athlete thinks about when they start training in their respective sport (does muscle make me slower/more cumbersome/less flexible etc...). As such, there's a shitton of different examples and proofs you can find just via google. Obviously, if you are talking about running they would need a lankier body (but that's more muscular endurance than explosivity and speed). But, try to make it a more fitting comparison to Kengan by adding in some explosivity. Look at sprinters, those dudes are jacked as hell. Or Kirby shaped strongmen; those guys have a shitton of muscle, they have like a 40inch vert. It's BECAUSE of the muscle that they can dunk a basketball, not in spite of it.

PS
Let's cross out Mike Tyson then, does this disprove my point? No, because there are other boxers with non-freakish genetics that have comparable speed and size. Joe Louis, Floyd Patterson, Ezzard Charles, James Tillis, Tony Tubbs, Herbie Hide, Michael Dokes, Gene Tunney, etc... Oh and Tyson wasn't even the fastest heavyweight, Ali was faster, and so was Floyd Patterson (who is probably even faster than Ali in terms of hand speed but def not footwork).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slno8MHdCKE Just a bonus but Floyd Patterson's hand speed is so goddamn ridiculous for a heavyweight, I'm more in to lighter weight classes for boxing but today my eyes have opened (haven't really seen many of his highlights). It's slow, then a short combo in the span of half a second, then dude is on the ground. Blink and you'll miss it... Anyways I need to stop myself before I commit to writing a goddamn book.

I know this fight will be epic, but can I say one thing?

Purgatory really has great taste in women referee. Damn she's hot.

NIB

Dex-chan lover
I've a slight feeling that this fight is gonna turn into Hajime no Ippo, but with ridiculous techniques and super powers.

This is how you build up a fighter! A very interesting backstory, concerned about his physical appearance, and get shown something unexpected, damn!

@Baroona - All I see is that you're talking about exceptions more than rules. You're using some of the best fighters to prove your point.

Mike Tyson was the exception moreso than the rule. Boxer's use "fast-twitch" muscles to increase their speed so they get bulkier, however, their stamina lacks. Mike Tyson was known for his speed but that's because in his weight division the people he fought against were much bigger than he was, so he needed to bulk up with fast twitch exercises. Muhammad Ali was more slender than your average Heavyweight as well.

Look at them side by side: https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2016/06/04/08/muhammad-ali.jpg?w968h681 [Ali]
https://talksport.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2020/04/NINTCHDBPICT000575474879.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100 [ Mike Tyson]

The difference is night and day due to their sizes. Mike was built with the necessary advantage of his small frame which was why he practiced his technique so thoroughly, he could place every ounce of his energy into his punches along with using his dash to accelerate and rotate into his punches to give off more force. Ali didn't have to do that, he was 6 ft 3 while Mike Tyson was 5 ft 10.

The average height relative to their years in the sport: https://boxrec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199245

If Mike Tyson didn't work out like he did (a worse engine with more horsepower) vs how Ali worked out (a better engine with less horsepower) they wouldn't be nearly as good as they were. Their training was also different.

https://therippedathlete.com/train-old-school-muhammad-alis-training-routine/ - Ali focused more on stamina than Mike did.

https://www.fortisfight.com/mike-tysons-training-routine-diet-plan/ - Mike focused on building his speed and power rather than his stamina.

Lastly, I don't care who can win but this puts in perspective the fighting skills associated with these two: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/582929-mike-tyson-versus-muhammad-alian-in-depth-analysis-of-who-would-really-win

If Tyson didn't keep up his proper training he often lost or gassed when people could outlast him. He was fast because he built up his dashes to be a weapon, he focused on his fast-twitch muscles while Ali didn't need to and did things like 6 mile runs to keep up his stamina. Ali also had a larger wingspan to boot, so he didn't have to worry about being clipped as much as Tyson did.

The point is, the more mass you have, the less stamina you may have if you're focusing on speed, that's why bulkier guys in boxing are usually Brawlers because smaller guys tend to be outboxers because they're more difficult to hit due to their speed and they build their hand-eye coordination and speed.

Which is probably what Carlos has done. As seen with his training, he did bulk himself up to deal with heavyweights, so you can't say "well, the mangaka doesn't know what he's talking about". It's just that Carlos would rather focus on his speed from where he started than to focus on his musculature.

Dex-chan lover
@Davy0
It's stuff like this that makes me wonder how the hell no one has ended up gassing out Wakatsuki yet with all that stupid thicc muscle he has

Damn that Purgatory boss is a freaken troll lol. of course, he found the one boxer whose ranked above Gaolang. I have a feeling this will be a trend and most of their fighters are someone who were higher at one point than Kegans side.

Users who are viewing this thread