Fed-Kun's army
And since slaves are people with rights and choices, they are protected by the law.

Umm. That's not a slave.

Also, 850 gold for a bag of cooking ingedients??? 60,000 for a few bags of rice??? Bro.

@NP-3228 Probably because his title doesn't match the status he know he is strong. Like all isekais, the strong always gets power(money, political), so being his slave could be good. Why he won't kill her or anything like that? who knows

@Gravewind Old civilizations had laws for slavery. Killing people or harming them can easily considered illegal even for slaves. Imagine pet's protection laws but with slaves

Double-page supporter
I get the feeling they skipped a lot, makes the already struggling story even less immersive

Power Uploader
@Ashbell thanks for info and now I think the translators should change "Gold" to something like "Nar" because people will confuse Gold coin and Gold,
the exchange rate here is probably
1 Gold Coin = 100,000 Gold
1 Silver coin = 10,000 Gold

Dex-chan lover
that was a lot more better than I thought..

didn't wanna go through the shield hero route again

@Satyam_SSJ10 The exchange rates from the WN are pretty generic.
Iron coin = 1 gold
Copper coin = 10 gold
Bronze = 100 gold
Silver = 1,000 gold
Large Silver Coin = 10,000 gold
Gold Coin = 100,000 gold
Mithril Coin = 1,000,000 gold (mithril coins are only traded on a national level)

@NP-3228 @harvest Actually it was his sword that gave him away. In the WN/LN the merchant has some "intuition" that MC is not normal based on his atmosphere and him having Cook as a job, but there was nothing out of the ordinary from his status alone. But when the merchant looked at the sword it gave him just a jumbled mess of text with a few Question Marks, which set off some alarms.

FjJ9xZl.png

Again, I have no fking idea how the TL translated that giant mess to "Title: The Death Sword", so I assume it just lazy BS as usual.

Fed-Kun's army
Slaves that have rights?! A good merchant who sells slaves?! IMPOSSIBLE! But in all seriousness, I really like this chapter. I thought that he was gonna be another dick of a merchant.

@mildev Similar to the vast majority of Japanese webnovels, 「ゴールド」 or “gold” is the unit of currency. The character for Gold Coin is 「金貨」or “Kinka”; entirely separate.

Basically you can replace gold with any IRL currency; Yen would make the most sense here. So essentially one Iron Coin = 1 Yen, not 1 “kinka”/gold coin.

Contributor
I see we're into excusing slavery again today.

(This one isn't the worst—believable within the realm of moral relativity and self-consistent with the crapsack-world we've seen so far, but anyone who would accept the natives' narrative that everything is a-Ok here is high.)

Fed-Kun's army
I...definitely missed something. When did he get so much gold? I don't remember when that happened.

As for the slavery...given the setting, I don't particularly mind. It's a medieval world, there ought to be medieval practices. Granted, I don't particularly like the glass scene-that grossed me out a bit.

But I can get behind the practice or intent. Make criminals pay off their debt to society and that sort. Course, let me guess, the girl is probably innocent.

Aggregator gang
You entrust your friend's daughter to someone with the title: "The Death's Sword".

Contributor
@Phelix Nah, its mostly just Japan and their passion for slavery~

@ceneoss Yup, ain't he glad the MC isn't the type to test out the sharpness of his swords on human beings like samurais?

very bright indeed... maybe wear even darker clothes and make all the backgrounds black to make it even more bright(sarcasm intensifies)

Dex-chan lover
What's with the merchant suddenly being dramatical after naughtily pulling an unwilling customer to buy slaves

so he bought her out of a mix of empathy and grievance triggered by a major case of spite

but tbh what are the odds that the noble idiots just happened to come in at the exact time the story needed him to

I love how many people here are freaking ignorant about what being a "slave" is, it's like they don't know that there are many types of slaves that exist throughout history, and yes, Slave that have human rights exist throughout history and even today, though today they're called factory workers, servants, maids etc. and tons of them exist in 3rd world and middle east nations.

Users who are viewing this thread